Brewer Fanatic

FSN Production Is Horrible

MickeyDavis
  • Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I saw that as well Rydogg. I'm wondering if perhaps it goes to commercial when the FSN original programming goes to commercial. I think it was actually supposed to be showing poker on FSN last night, so maybe it just goes to commercial when the poker program went to commercial, regardless of the fact that they were showing the game.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

The Pittsburgh TV guys were raving about her (she'd worked with them earlier in her career), saying how happy they were for her & how much she's missed on their broadcasts. They even noted that she's been getting rave reviews with Brewers fans. It was neat to hear.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

You think someone's job title is "Changing the count next to the score on the top of the television screen"? If so, they're pretty terrible at it. At least once a game it's incorrect. How hard could it be, I'd love to apply for that job.

I think I have two new favorite FSN screw-ups. One was when Kendall was trying to catch a runner advancing to second on a ball in the dirt. Mid-throw, they switched to a nice shot of Manny Acta in the dugout. The second was very original. Mike Cameron was hitting, and they were zoomed in on his head. They simply chose to stay with that shot as the pitch was delivered, so we got to see a close-up of a hitter's head during a swing.

i am starting to wonder if the guys producing this thing are just messing with us and this is all a big joke to them. I mean, the counts are always off, they barely show pick-off moves, there are random shots of people in the middle of plays.

My guess is that it's not a task they delegate to one person as his/her lone duty. If it is just one person's sole task, that's just sad. I can definitely understand how a count here & there would get lost in the shuffle if you had to keep track of it in addition to other real-time duties.

I would think it would be one person's duty to keep track of everything on the TV scoreboard. Keep track of count, outs, score, and where the runners are on base. If you can't keep up with those things, that's sad.

~Nottso

Yeah, that's kinda what I meant endaround. In that case, what are they doing that they can't watch the pitch and add it to the count? You had one job to do!

~Nottso

Yeah, that's kinda what I meant endaround. In that case, what are they doing that they can't watch the pitch and add it to the count? You had one job to do!

Its been a little while but I used to do some TV work back in college. A bad TD can make it a problem if he's calling for a bunch of CG stuff without givng the guy enough time to pull it up and having it ready to go.

What's a TD and a CG?

On a related note, I frequently see that the baserunners aren't always updated in a timely fashion, either.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I would guess that TD = Technical Director and CG = computer generated (like the stat overlays, etc.)?

If the Brewers pitchers would throw more strikes, that's one less button that the guy has to press. Every count should be 0-0, 0-1, or 0-2.

On a related note, I frequently see that the baserunners aren't always updated in a timely fashion, either.

That problem is pretty common to broadcasts around the league (from my limited Extra Innings experience), and not just FSN stuff either. It's really a bad gaffe imo, though, since it looks so comical to have the wrong base highlighted when the viewer at home can clearly see the guy standing on a different base.

The Nationals MASN production made FSN look like a David Lean feature. The graphics and announcers routinely misstated the pitch count, the score, the inning. They even misidentified players. This was on top of Don Sutton yesterday announcing with laryngitis, about as unpleasant as listening to (not watching) Scarlett Johansson do those Tom Waits covers.

What makes this season's broadcast so unbearable is that last season everything was fine. Sure there was a missed play here and there but nothing like we have this year. Then our director leaves for Arizona. Then they hire a temp guy for the first month while our new director is doing basketball. Things seemed to improve when the new guy took over in early May but it's still much worse than last season.

Archived