Brewer Fanatic

The Brewers' depth

splitterpfj

Gabe Gross, who is essentially the team's #4 option in center field, started yesterday and went 1-2 with a walk and a RBI, plus he threw a runner out trying to advance.

Mike Rivera may hit better than most of the team's starting catchers of the last decade.

Gabe Kapler pinch-hit what turned out to be a game-winning home run.

The #5 starter had no-hitter for 5 innings.

Joe Dillon looks like Cirillo did as a pinch hitter.

Everybody in the bullpen is actually getting guys out.

This team is missing Mike Cameron and Yovanni Gallardo, and is winning anyway.

I still love Doug Melvin.

Things are going well right now, morale on this board is pretty high. But, once the first cold streak comes around our opinions are going to change drastically.

FWIW I agree with you splitter, this team looks better than last year's team already, and last year's team looked better than the 2006 team. I thought our off-season was kind of weak, but I have absolutely no complaints right now.

Mike Rivera may hit better than most of the team's starting catchers of the last decade.

Thanks for making me revisit Bad Chad. The Brewers' string of starting catchers over the past decade or so has set the bar pretty low.

I still love Doug Melvin.
I'm not sold just yet on whether or not Melvin built the team that can take the pennant. Not to be Mr. Naysayer but didn't the Brewers go flying out of the gates last year as well...?

Factors that will sell me on Doug Melvin:

1. Does Mike Cameron come back and provide decent offense and plus defense?

2. Is Gagne consistently effective? Even though it's for only 1 year, $10 M is still a good chunk to spend on a closer, proven or otherwise.

3. Does the rest of the reconstructed bullpen hold up over the course of the season?

Factors 2 and 3 are the ones that will ultimately determine where the Brewers finish. If the answer to both of those is "no" then the Brewers are on the outside looking in yet again.

What's the fun in being a fan if you can't be crazy excited when your team gets off to a great start? I have friends (well, cubs fans) that don't pay attention to anything in April or May because "it's too early." Well, IMHO, that's a great way to miss out on 1/3 of a great season as a fan. Whether we win April 6 or September 6, it's still another hash mark in the W column.

And with that, I'm off to the game!

The starters are my only worry at this point. None has gone more than 6 1/3. Which in turn makes me worry about our pen. Still, it is very early with only one turn through the rotation. Ask again at the end of the month.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The Brewers did not win the division last year because they played awful defense, the bullpen was overworked - and too thin to begin with, and Sheets got hurt. Take out any one of those three, and this team was in the playoffs - without question.

Sheets is going to be what he's going to be, just cross your fingers and cheer loudly when he pitches, if he holds up, this is clearly a playoff team.

As for the other two issues, I don't care what angle you take on it, the Brewers' defense will be considerably improved from last year, which will make the starters better, which will help the bullpen, which is much deeper and more talented than last year's group. The 8th inning was handed to Turnbow last year, so far this season he has one IP - wow.

Gagne in Cordero's place is the one spot that appears weaker than last year, but at least there are options, if Gagne fails - which may not happen in the first place.

Trust me, you guys are going to love Mike Cameron. Take Gwynn, make him even a little better defensively, and add power - don't worry about the batting average, the man can get on base, and he's all brains once he gets there.

What's the fun in being a fan if you can't be crazy excited when your team gets off to a great start? I have friends (well, cubs fans) that don't pay attention to anything in April or May because "it's too early." Well, IMHO, that's a great way to miss out on 1/3 of a great season as a fan. Whether we win April 6 or September 6, it's still another hash mark in the W column.

Don't get me wrong I'm happy that they're off to a great start, but the last few years they've been off to great starts as well. Wins are wins but I try not to get too excited early on, 2004 taught me a lesson when they were above .500 going into the All-Star break and proceeded to have the worst second half in the league.

Every one of the Brewers' reserves could be a starter for a few teams, some more than others. That's a mighty good sign.

I remember thinking during the Brewers hot streak at the beginning of last year that one injury would hurt badly. The bench guys just scared me. Last year we were able to bring up Braun and Gallardo. This year we can bring back Cameron and...well...Gallardo. I think I just had a feeling last year that it couldn't last with Counsell and Graffy getting so many starts. Bill Hall never turned it on last year the way we were all expecting him to. There were just so many variables last year that are much stronger this year.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I thought our off-season was kind of weak, but I have absolutely no complaints right now.

As did I. I thought Kendall, Mota, Torres, Gagne, and Cameron didn't have a whole lot left to give--more names then actual talent.

So far I look very wrong. I hope it continues that way

Don't get me wrong I'm happy that they're off to a great start, but the last few years they've been off to great starts as well. Wins are wins but I try not to get too excited early on, 2004 taught me a lesson when they were above .500 going into the All-Star break and proceeded to have the worst second half in the league.

To be fair we had a below average team in 2004 who fluked into a decent record in the first half. Last years collapse is the one that bothers me because the team had plenty of talent and gave the division away.

Since 2004 the Brewers have typically been a decent first half team but have struggled hardcore in the second half. It's tough for me to get real excited about them until it becomes August and they're playing like they were in first week or two.

We're six-deep in the rotation once YoGa comes back. We're six-deep in the outfield once Mike Cameron comes back. Rickie is looking good, Hall has found his stroke (though he's alway spounded the southpaws), and Hart is building on last year, all of which means our superb depth is but a luxury at present, as most of them probably won't be sitting much. The only thing that does scare me is Braun's defense at present in left, but that is easily rectified by a the great Kapler/Jr Gwynny platoon as a defensive replacement. Seriously...it's a good time to be a Brewer Fanatic.

I.m not sold just yet on whether or not Melvin built the team that can take the pennant. Not to be Mr. Naysayer but didn't the Brewers go flying out of the gates last year as well...?

You have to remember that they only lost the division by 2 games despite there pitching staff imploding midsummer in 07. There is no reason not to be optimistic at this point. The only question is the back end of the rotation (which has looked good in their first start) and the closer where results are mixed. I think we have more talent than the Cubbies do at this point and barring major injuries we can win this thing. Where is the weakness in this batting order? I frankly don't see one at this point. Their worst offensive strarter is probably Hardy or Kendall and I'll take that anyday.

Trust me, you guys are going to love Mike Cameron. Take Gwynn, make him even a little better defensively, and add power tons more power - don't worry about the batting average, the man can get on base, and he's all brains once he gets there.

Oh, I can't wait. I know I might sound like a broken record, but I think his game is going to not only play well at MP, but also fit perfectly into the lineup.

Also, am I the only one that thinks the 2008 squad is going to surpass 2007's HR total with relative ease?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Your posts are so refreshing. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I'm just hoping they learned from last year about how to sustain a season like they were having over the long-haul. None of those guys (with the exception a couple) had gone through a pennant race before, and I think that might have been a big reason that they ended up blowing it in the end. That along with some unfortunate bullpen misuse are what ruined last year.

I'm hoping they learned from it and can keep this up through the rest of this season, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

The only guy I don't believe is real, and I simply can't phantom him being anywhere that good is Kaplar. Kendall will tire, so I don't think he can be a .280-.290 hitter anymore, but I totally buy into his intangibles.

Otherwise, I think we have every reason to be hopeful...but no reason to be foolish. Lets be honest if the Brewers are for real they should sweep a team as awful as the Giants. Two outta three on the road against their main rival is also hopeful. Now lets see if we can keep it up against the Reds and Cards, two other teams who have had excellent starts. When momentum meets momentum the effects can often be spectacular.

Otherwise, everyone knows we can't win 5 outta 6 consistently. So here comes the market adjustment.

Otherwise, I think we have every reason to be hopeful...but no reason to be foolish. Lets be honest if the Brewers are for real they should sweep a team as awful as the Giants. Two outta three on the road against their main rival is also hopeful. Now lets see if we can keep it up against the Reds and Cards,

I was about to post this very idea.

Lets be honest if the Brewers are for real they should sweep a team as awful as the Giants.

Even if we assume that the Brewers are a true 92 win team and the Giants are a true 50 win team (which is probably worse than any team can be projected to be), you should expect the Brewers to sweep them only around half the time. I agree that a good 6 games isn't cause to all wild with expectations, though.

Archived