Brewer Fanatic

Field Turf; Likely Coming to Miller Park Someday

lcbj68c

How important is natural grass to you as a fan? I know that the current field is always in quasi-decent shape, but the players have openly stated that they love the field and playing on natural grass. I can't recall any slippages, poor play, or injuries as a result of the grass or the conditions of the field given the roof. That said, Attanasio and Schlesinger have stated that the revenue from added events would certainly be worth puting in the Field Turf, so that concerts and events can be held without fear of damaging the playing conditions. As a fan, would you rather have this added revenue to add to a growing payroll and keep competitive or would you rather have the look and feel of natural grass?

Miller Park's turf
By Don Walker
Saturday, Apr 5 2008, 11:14 AM
jsonline.com

It won't happen anytime soon, but the Milwaukee Brewers are giving some thought about Miller Park's turf. Most fans understand that the turf is not going to be in tip-top shape this early in the season. Because of the design of the stadium, there are sections of grass that don't see sunlight, and that causes problems. As a result, the Brewers are looking at the possibility of putting Field Turf in some day. Field Turf is a combination of real grass and synthetic fibers and has proven to be hugely popular at other sports venues. The Brewers recognize and appreciate the fact that the players like to play on real grass. But advances in Field Turf and other products may force their hand. There is also an economic component. The franchise would like to attract more non-baseball events at Miller Park, but worry any activity will ruin the field. "We can't have things like tractor pulls that can bring in revenue," said principal owner Mark Attanasio. "The players like playing on real grass. We still care a lot about that." Rick Schlesinger, the team's executive vice president for business operations, has been to other parks to see various versions of Field Turf. Don't expect things to change too soon. But it seems that Miller Park will one day have a kind of artificial surface.

And maybe it's just me being from Florida the past ten years, but a tractor pull? That was not the first event that came to mind. The only non-event I remember last year was the bowling tournament, but a tractor pull?

They would do it so they can get more events like tractor pulls. You can't do that with natural grass. I'm fine with it. I've played sports on real grass and field turf and it feels the same to me.

When we took the tour of Chase Field in Phoenix last year, we saw they had grow lights set up near parts of the field that don't naturally get a lot of sun (despite being in the Valley of the Sun).

I wondered at the time why MP doesn't try something like that. Of course, better-growing natural grass would be just as wrecked by a tractor pull. (I hope Mark A. doesn't think that everyone in Wisconsin is craving a tractor pull in Miller Park.)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I love me some tractor pulls. I usually get my insulated flannel, camoflague cap, Wrangler jeans, and crapkickers on while making a quick stop to get a pack of smokes and a sixer of Pabst before setting out for it in my Ford F150 to the pulls.

If they really find it necessary to go with Field Turf, I just hope that they find something that looks and feels as close to real grass as possible. I also hope they have a full dirt infield instead of just dirt near the bases.

I took these at a fan event they had at AT&T Park in January 07, two days after they had a motocross there. They're always having concerts, football games, monster truck-type stuff, etc there, and they have natural grass that's in pretty good shape (mind you, these aren't really during the season itself). It appears they just stick some flooring over the field itself. I'd definitely prefer it if they kept the real stuff and just did something like that instead.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/SeriesFinale75/DSC06922.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/SeriesFinale75/DSC06928.jpg

Why would you want natural grass when you could have balls bounce 400 feet in the air from bloop singles. I know they've come a long way with that stuff but it's just not the same. It's like implants--they always look good but deep down, you know it's just a sham. Tractor pulls....yeah....that's what's gonna help them put a good team on the field....revenue from tractor pulls. What is this world coming to?

I just hope that they find something that looks and feels as close to real grass as possible

But it still won't smell the same. Kinda sad thinking that someday when I have a son, I'll be telling him about how back in the day the games actually took place on real grass and how great the smell of the field was. Miller Park is artificial enough already.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

If they get the right artificial turf, it's a good move. If they can get turf that could benefit the gap power that Rickie, Bill, Tony Jr., Corey, and Mike Cameron have, then it would give the Brewers a home-field advantage.

I've been hoping for artificial turf in Miller Park for a while.

Community Moderator

Right now, it seems like Miller Park holds about one concert per year. With field turf, I would like to see them hold 5-10 events per year--basketball, hockey, concerts, motorcross, monster trucks, etc.

However, I would be concerned if we were the first MLB team to do this.

Archived