Brewer Fanatic

4/6/08 Giants (Zito) at Brewers (Sheets): 1:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not giving up on more years from Sheets. When he's on, he's as good as anyone in the league. His injuries haven't been career-threatening, so you have to believe he is capable of playing a while. If the Crew was willing to spend on Suppan, no reason not to spend on Sheets. A #1 pitcher is extremely difficult to replace, and I think the Crew should get a hometown discount. He eats up tons of innings when healthy, and even puts up respectable innings numbers otherwise.

Sheets will continue to be in baseball, but not with the Brewers. If he gets hurt and doesn't produce this year, we won't want to give him the money he can get elsewhere. If he's outstanding, he's out of our price range. What type of hometown discount do you really expect? I doubt the Brewers are willing to pay him more than Suppan-like money (IF that - with his injury history), and he will get much more elsewhere.

On an unrelated note, after watching Yost's post-game interview... the guy scares me. He seems really on edge even after we win a game easily. Must be all the coffee.

This was definitely a fun game to be at. Sheets was on his game, we got a couple of HR's, and the Giants' B-team (minus Rowand, Winn, and Molina) never had a chance.

I thought of the IGT after Kapler's HR, I am disappointed to not see the ripped Gabe picture. The Bill Hill jersey made it in at least. They showed a video about how two fisted slopping is bad, and that made me think of the slopper/slobberer debate. It is definitely slopper in the video. And you know it's a bobblehead day when people are selling retros in the concourse for $40. lol

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

just got back from the game....beautiful day..glad that the roof was closed though. Sheets doing what he needs to do in a contract year. Fielder still getting clutch base hits, but still waiting for the long ball....oh well, we'll take a couple more from Brauny!! Complete Game outta Sheets...gotta love it. Go Crew.

This is OUR year!!! Go Brewers!!!

Attended all three games and LOVED THEM ALL. KILLER INSTINCT!! Ben Sheets will win the Cy Young if he doesn't miss a start, book it. Then he's gone, book that too. Granted it was the Giants, which I believe to easily be the worst team in baseball, but its still nice to beat the teams they're supposed to beat. Stay hot against the Reds Crew!!

On an unrelated note, after watching Yost's post-game interview... the guy scares me. He seems really on edge even after we win a game easily. Must be all the coffee.

Listening to interviews of Ned is always painful for me. I usually turn the dial.

What a fun game! It took about one batter to see that Ben was "on." The loge crowd around us was appreciative and into the game from the start, which was nice. In the terrace, I often find myself starting the "slow claps" but in the loge today I rarely had to do that.

We all know there are always "fans" who stay just long enough to get the bobblehead, but I didn't notice many empty seats today.

(The bobbles could have benefited from a little more quality control, but that's not exactly news, and is also being discussed elsewhere.)

In the back of my mind I remind myself that it's only been six games, with three against a pretty crappy looking team, but since I'm clearly still in the "giddy that the season's here" stage, I have no problem enjoying the last few wins just for what they are: a few nice days at the ballpark. I wish we could use our Thursday tickets. Day job? Yuck!

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Really enjoyed this game. The energy was awesome. I told my dad the same thing. If he pitches healthy the whole year he's the cy young contender we all thought he was. He will also be gone when the season is over. But i would not put it past him to give us a litle bit of a home town discount. He does seem to like milwaukee.

The loge crowd around us was appreciative and into the game from the start, which was nice.

I agree- the crowd was way into it today. The place was already electric when Sheets struck out the side in the 1st.

Ben really didn't seem to have his rhythm until the middle innings. Heck of an outing today.

How was Gabe Kapler out of baseball last year? He's been the acquisition of the year so far, with Kendall not terribly far behind. In Doug we Trust!

Glad the roof was closed- very comfortable inside, but that wind was wicked on the way to/from the lots, but a great day for baseball and a great game.

My friends and I couldn't and still can't get over the fact that Ray Durham was the Giants clean up hitter today. It just boggles my mind that they have that little power on the team with Molina, Winn, and Rowand out.

Ben really didn't seem to have his rhythm until the middle innings. Heck of an outing today.
I disagree with this. He was locked in from pitch one, imo. He didn't have a single fastball below 92 mph (his second fastball of the game) and Ned mentioned this in his press conference. He said he knew he was locked in when he was in the 92-94 range in the 1st inning instead of the 88-90 range that he's usually in. He hit 96 multiple times on the gun and his curveball was the best I've seen from him in a long time.

Fair enough trwi. Perhaps I should have phrased it as 'despite striking out the side, Ben really didn't look comfortable on the mound until the middle innings.' He was really struggling with either location in the 2nd-4th, or trying to find the ump's outside corner, and was keeping some pitches up that were pounded for a few doubles early, but was practically unhitable after the 5th.

Man what a game. That is the Ben Sheets that I know. Even during the last couple injury plagued seasons for Ben every time he toes the rubber I feel he can have a performance like this. There are not to many pitchers you can say that about, Ben Sheets is for sure one of them.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Watching the game from home, he definitely had control problems in, I believe, the 3rd...just like that, when he came back for the next-inning, he was spot on again. (The Giants announcers even felt that SF missed an opportunity since, "You know those control problems Sheets was having?....Gone.") He looked best in the 1st and the last two innings I thought.

Archived