Brewer Fanatic

They put a roof on Miller Park for a reason

RyDogg66

I checked at 10:20 and Milwaukee's temp was 68. I've heard that the roof has never been open for an April game(Rockhead). I believe that streak should end today. We used to be a hardy bunch of fans but have been softened since Miller Park has opened.

I did not see a poll here so give me your take on this subject.

how on earth could the Twins get away with playing their regular season games in their new downtown ballpark and then be allowed to play their post-season games in the Metrodome? What kind of deal is that?

I think that is pretty poor, if it's true. The Twins should have to play with what they've got, just like the rest of the teams. Otherwise, why don't they just move the entire post-season to Southern California or Florida (or any nice-weather city) like they do for the Super Bowl?

As for the roof on Miller, I've only been there 10 times (maybe not even that many) and I appreciate having it, too. I'm not traveling all the way up from Arizona to see a rainout(s). I do remember being a bit uncomfortable this summer seeing the Brewers-Astros in the upper deck (Estrada grand slam night) but it was nothing some cold glasses of water/lemonaid/Pepsi/beer couldn't help with. I wonder if they could install some electric fans or something to circulate more air.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

The roof should stay closed, there is quite a cool breeze out there today. They can open the panels a bit if they want, maybe after the 3rd inning.

Did say anything about the blasted panels, no. All I was talking about was THE ROOF, people!

RIF.

EDIT: As of 12:20CT, it was 70.5 degress, winds out of the WSW at a whopping 6mph(which is next to calm)

Doesn't Minnesota have a stipulation that all postseason games are to be played at the Metrodome anyway?

Um, no. Sounds like an urban legend...I recall when I lived there many people said they should play at the St. Paul Saints little stadium (capacity 6-7K) and "move the game if it rains", as if that's a logistical possibility, never mind ridiculous. We're talking about a billion dollar business, the idea of playing some games at one place and then moving them if they make the playoffs is nonsensical.

I'd love the roof to be open, but as I have said many times, women would be freezing, as would many fellas. I see plenty of sweatshirts and light jackets in the crowd today with the roof closed. No one looks hot.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

EDIT: As of 12:20CT, it was 70.5 degress, winds out of the WSW at a whopping 6mph(which is next to calm)

Where are you getting the temp and wind from? Weather.com says 62 and windy in the 53213 area code (Wauwatosa) as of 1:05pm

http://www.weather.com/outlook/homeandgarden/home/local/53213?lswe=53213&lwsa=Weather36HourHomeCommand&from=whatwhere

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Yeah, I was just going to say that too, homer. It's 60 and windy where I'm at in southern Milwaukee County. Miller Park would definitely be closer to the lake than I am. One of the online box scores should show the game time temp at the park.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Casey,

MLB,com says 61 and 19 MPH winds. - they get their info from weather.com

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I just looked and couldn't find any proof of my claim that they would play at the Metrodome so I apologize. I could have sworn it was the deal struck to allow the Twins out of their lease with the 'dome. As for the roof, it's a blessing to be guaranteed a prompt and timely start.

MLB.com says 61 and 19 MPH winds.

That's enough to make it pretty darn cold on the shady first base side. We had seats in the Terrace Box for an early season game during Miller Park's first season. I don't know what the wind speed was, but the temperature was about 60. It was absolutely freezing until the roof was closed. Although it was turned on, the heat wasn't necessary. Just cutting the wind and getting sunlight through the windows made a huge difference.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

The "first pitch" outdoor temperature reported at today's game was 60 degrees (69 indoors).

As we walked from our car to the stadium, we both felt like the temperature was nice enough to try for the open roof, but the wind was strong enough to be noticeable.

We both recalled hearing or reading that it was inadvisable to move the roof panels during windy weather. Our recollection could be wrong, but that's why I figured the roof was closed, and I didn't have a problem with it.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

it wasnt overly warm in milwaukee today. it is all relative anyways, right?

i was wearing shorts, but that is just out of principle. i was in the shade in my backyard and it was a little chilly still.

Last weekend for the OnDeck event I was about 25 rows back on the first base side and I had on jeans, long sleeves and shoes and I was absolutely freezing. I ended up signing up for the credit card thing just to get the free blanket.

Today, I was up in the terrace reserve in short pants and short sleeves and ended up putting on a zip-up hoodie for most of the game as there was a serious breeze to be felt. The wind was a big factor today, I think.

As some one mentioned before, this topic comes up every year the first time there is a 60 degree day and the sun is out. I'm suprised at the viewpoints of most people this year. Didn't really do an actual count, but it seems like most people this year are posting that they appreciate the roof and the Brewer's decision to usually error on the cautious side. It seems like most other years when this topic came up, I was in the definite minority as to my preferance to have the roof closed on a 60 degree day. I'm all about comfort. As mentioned many times in this thread. The temperature difference in the sun vs the shade can be absolutely dramatic.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Archived