Brewer Fanatic

They put a roof on Miller Park for a reason

RyDogg66

Ok, listening to the WSSP post game show today and it turned into a rant (by the callers) about the roof being closed today. Are these people crazy? I spent many games in County Stadium in April and even May when it was sunny and in the 50s and I was FREEZING, especially in the shade (which Miller Park is almost all of by the way). I even remember one game with the fans in the shade (1st base side) having winter coats on and stocking caps and people in the sun (third base side) with their shirts off. It was probably 60 in the sun, 40 in the shade.

We put a roof on that place so people will know that the games are going to be played, and not rained out. But also so people can go and ENJOY the game comfortably!! I am watching the replay on FSN right now, and people are having a blast! They look comfortable, the players look comfortable, meanwhile, in Chicago, people are in the sun AND FREEZING!

The put a roof on Miller Park so we as fans can count on watching the game comfortably. It is pretty clear that on a day like today (high of about 52) that the roof needs to be closed.

Any objections? I know that there will be...

I haven't listened to 1250 a lot, but is it true that they give away a $25 gift card, or something similar, to the most valuable caller of each post game show? How is the winner determined? Random drawing? Best take, ala Rome? I could be off base, but I imagine that a station that carries Rome and rewards people for calling in is going to result in people trying to get that reward by being rack-worthy. And if that's the case, some callers are going to say extreme things to get noticed, rather than trying to provide anything insightful.

Community Moderator

Count me in with the people who are glad it was closed. The outdoor temperature was 52 and the inside temperatures was 66 and if it had been a blowout the other way without much cheering, I would have been really cold.

I understand it's been a long winter, but maybe it will be open tomorrow with a forecast high of 62...

Kids today don't know how good they have it with Miller Park. Anyone remember the 1994 opening day against the Athletics? I was 14 years old. We got snow the night before and for the game it was 15° with the wind chill. I was sitting high in the upperdeck where it felt like -15°. I had to go into the bathroom and wrap toilet paper around my feet a few times because they were so cold.

I got poured on (both rain and beer) in '86, snow flurries in '89, and frozen solid at the last home opener at County Stadium, vs the Marlins.

Thank you for having the roof closed, I was very comfortable today - in shirt sleeves.

Unless it is raining or snowing I think the roof should be open. It is there to make sure we always get the game in, not to make sure the crowd doesnt' have to sit through the slightly cold.

Unless it is raining or snowing I think the roof should be open. It is there to make sure we always get the game in, not to make sure the crowd doesnt' have to sit through the slightly cold.

Um, I think the brewers would argue that the roof is probably also there to help with attendance and fan enjoyment and that most fans probably liked the fact today that it was 10 degrees warmer inside the stadium with the roof closed. Or was this post supposed to be in blue?

The only problem with MP is not that the roof is closed too often, the problem is there isn't enough air circulation in the warm summer months. It's a sauna in there in July and August.

The only problem with MP is not that the roof is closed too often, the problem is there isn't enough air circulation in the warm summer months. It's a sauna in there in July and August.

Agreed. On a hot night with thunderstorms I know I'll leave Miller Park a sweaty, sticky mess. But at least we get to see a game instead of sitting around getting soaked and then having a delay or cancellation.

The best thing is being able to buy tickets months in advance and knowing that you aren't going to travel 90 minutes each way for a rainout. It still boggles the mind why a team this far north would build a staduim without a roof. Yeah I'm talking to you Minnesota people.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Doesn't Minnesota have a stipulation that all postseason games are to be played at the Metrodome anyway? Thus, the only downfall to their new open air stadium is that it threatens to be a snow-covered Jake in April. However, delays and dowble-headers are part of the baseball of yore. The dome is the advent of the DH. And we, as Milwaukee fans, are baseball bigamists....and loving every minute of it.

Never mind it being more comfortable for Brewer fans (which it was), the Brewers players also agreed they preferred the conditions to those in Chicago the day before. Having been in Wrigley yesterday, I know how they feel. Out of the sun it was very very cold, even in multiple layers and a stocking cap.

Baseball is meant to be a summer sport - 40 degrees is not summer weather, so if the closed roof makes it 65 and the players are also more comfortable, I say close away. The masochists can watch the game on TV with their feet in an ice bath.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
60 degrees and sunny is one thing. 60 degrees in the shade is another - which is most of Miller Park. Keep it closed.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Um, I think the brewers would argue that the roof is probably also there to help with attendance and fan enjoyment and that most fans probably liked the fact today that it was 10 degrees warmer inside the stadium with the roof closed. Or was this post supposed to be in blue?

on the platform of being a traditionalist, with respect to differing opinions, i have to agree with ennder here. unfortunately, i also must concede that advantage schneider's comment is the trump card - the almighty dollar is the driving force behind the roof, not preventing rainouts. in this and a few other sly ways, i am saddened by some modern ammendments to the way sports franchises handle their business.

there's something to be said about wrapping up in a blanket with a thermos of hot chocolate that just made opening day for me. (damn nostalgia.)

I love Miller Park but from all the designs I've seen of the new park in Minnesota I see a good reason not to have a roof. Yes there are many great reasons to have the roof but the skyline in the background and just the more open feel make an outdoor stadium much more pleasing imho.

It seems like we have the same discussion every year. The Brewers are pretty consistent. Before May 15, the roof's going to be closed unless the weather is phenominal. After May 15, the roof's going to be open unless the weather is terrible.

The average number of roof open games has trended up from 44-48 the first few years of Miller Park to 48-55 in recent years. This means that about 35% of the games will be played under the roof. You can figure that between April 1 and October 1, 50 degrees is going to be in the worst 35% and not in the best 65%.

Nothing like looking at a beautiful skyline while you are too cold to move, clap, cheer and your beer freezes. Even 50 degrees in the shade in early April is damn cold. I keep my windows and doors closed when it is 50 degrees outside too. Why? Becuase Id rather not freeze my tail off when I have the option to be warm and comfortable.

They are nuts to build a stadium without a roof in Minnesota and it is a no brainer to keep the roof closed for all of April.

I think that this is one of those issues where you will have people on both sides of the discussion. I do believe that there are more people who would prefer the roof to be open than closed when the temperature is in the 50's or even the 60's. I have sat in the shade at Miller Park when the temperature was in the low 60's with the roof open and was pretty chilly. I much prefer having the roof closed when the temp is in the 50's. The bigger beef I have is when they close the roof in summer before the game even starts when there is like a 10% chance of rain in Iowa that may work its way into Milwaukee by the 8th inning.

And to those who say that the roof is driven by the almighty dollar I say thanks to the roof, more than anything else, for allowing this team to have an $80mm payroll. Without it, attendance would most likely be a lot lower and we'd have a lot lower chance of being a competitive team.

FWIW - Views or not, the people in Minnesota are not going to be flocking to their new ballpark in April and May once the newness novelty wears off.

I live in Green Bay 2 hours away, and know of many people who now buy advanced tickets and even 9 and 20 game packs BECAUSE there is a roof. Most who live 4+ hours round-trip away can now plan that all day afair that a Brewer game is because that travel will not be all for not. Since Miller Park has opened many bars and groups up this way do bus trips because they know the game will take place. Remember too that Brewerfan.net is made up of die hards. The team knows it'll get our money anyway, but the team makes it's money off of the causal/band wagon type fan. The majority of those people who might happen to have a non-fan spouse are a lot more likely to buy a ticket if they don't have to dress like their going to a fall or winter Packer game.

Archived