Brewer Fanatic

Weird stuff from Opening Day

splitterpfj

Three things stood out for me from the game.

1. Gabe Gross got 2 ABs in one inning as a pinch hitter. I don't think I've ever seen that before. (Stat guys, I realize a BB isn't an AB)

2. The Giants' 8 hitter bunted for a base hit, bringing the pitcher up with two on and two out - I don't think I've ever seen that, either.

3. When Prince doubled, he seemed agitated at second base, he was motioning toward Dale Sveum, as though to say he should've sent the last runner around instead of holding him at third. I was too far away to see if Prince was joking around, but his body language made it look like he was actually upset.

What stood out for me was how crowded the concourses and bathroom lines were. Especially now that they added the new team store and that kids play area. There isn't as much space as before. I personally think they sold too many standing room tickets.

As far as the game goes, I loved some of the opposite field basehits. It was nice to see that.

3. When Prince doubled, he seemed agitated at second base, he was motioning toward Dale Sveum, as though to say he should've sent the last runner around instead of holding him at third. I was too far away to see if Prince was joking around, but his body language made it look like he was actually upset.

By the way, I really hope this isn't the case. If so, it needs to be reined in, stat. I think maybe knowing Prince's comments lately we read too much into stuff though.

What I thought was weird was the number of open seats around me, the entire game. Especially with 45,000 people there.

They were all tailgating by me until 2 PM.....

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Community Moderator

1. The number of people standing/sitting/smoking/falling down in the concourses--better than having them bothering the people trying to watch the game

2. New realization about how far away section 405 is, even though we were in row 1

3. The person-sized hole in the field level outside glass around 1st base--bad way to get in for free

4. The person chugging Jager from the bottle in the backgroud of the channel 6 tailgaiting reporter--after the game

5. The fact that today was by far the best offensive performance for the Giants this year (they only had 4 runs in 3 games), and they still got hammered by the Crew :-)

1. Gabe Gross got 2 ABs in one inning as a pinch hitter. I don't think I've ever seen that before. (Stat guys, I realize a BB isn't an AB)
If only those wacky stats guys had a term for something like an AB, but not quite... .... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

What I thought was weird was the number of open seats around me, the entire game. Especially with 45,000 people there.
Noticed this, too. I expected things to fill in by the 2nd-3rd inning, but the empty seats around me pretty much stayed that way. For the 3rd-highest attendance in MP history (according to the video board), I've been to games that were a lot more packed.

I really have no desire to attend opening day with all the crazies. And how about the stories of half hour waits for the johns in the parking lot. And people charging $1, $3, $10 for people to use their makeshift johns.

I made it into the parking lot at about 9:40 and refused to use a bathroom until I got into the park at a couple minutes before one. There was no line for the women's bathroom on the Terrace level. I was in my seat in time to see the first pitch. No complaints from me!

And from the amount of times we had to flash our preferred parking pass, you would have thought it was reserved for rock stars or something.

I just watched the replay of Prince's double in the sixth. He was obviously kidding about the runner not scoring. He had a big smile on his face and was laughing.

Yeah, I just came in to post this--watching the game now myself. The CSNBA feed at first only showed him glaring and pointing from 3rd to home and I thought, "Oh man, splitter was right" but the next shot of Prince it was definitely clear he was playing around with Sveum, laughing and nodding and jawing. Good actor.

I think we read way too much into his comments and the fact that he's just generally a stolid kind of guy.

Also, it's embarrassing that the park is half-full at best when they're introducing the team on Opening Day as it appeared to be on TV today (and as it definitely was in '06, '05, '04 which were the most recent home openers I've attended).

Can the underage/college-aged binge-drinking demographic that appears to make up the lion's share of the home opener crowd these days get it together to at least come in to cheer on the Crew as they start the season? Those coolers and quarter-barrels of the cheap local stuff will still be there after they stumble back out to the parking lot.

Also, it's embarrassing that the park is half-full at best when they're introducing the team on Opening Day as it appeared to be on TV today (and as it definitely was in '06, '05, '04 which were the most recent home openers I've attended).
I was there and there was far, far less than half there at that time. Is this really different from other years? I can't remember. The crowd, was, as it usually is on opening day, occasionally loud, but mostly subdued to alcohol exhaustion. Baseball never really starts in my mind until the second home game. Opening day is like every Cubs game of the year--baseball tourism. I still go. go crew

My biggest issues with opening day or even the day before is that ridiculous outfit that Prince is trying to pass off as a baseball uniform. When did MLB lose sight of what "uniform" meant. It loosly means "the same". How is it that some of these guys can come out looking like they are wearing pajamas and others look like balls players? I salute Kapler, Juan Pierre, Jason Veritek, etc and whoever else wears the uniform the way its supposed to be worn. I'm tired of these guys showing up to play ball with sloppier uniforms than what I'm wearing just to watch them on TV.

There, I feel better. Ban the pajamas!!!!!!!!!

Archived