Brewer Fanatic

6/4/07 Cubs (Marquis) @ Brewers (Bush): 7:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw the first few innings at a sports bar and realized that was enough misery to put myself through (seeing those bases loaded DPs kill us).

Thank God I'm in Indiana and in the Cubs, Sox and Reds blackout zone. I know my laptop would be out my hotel window if my eyes had to witness this display tonight. Against the Cubs of all teams!!

I know this probably sounds hypocritical, because I was loving it when Hardy was crushing the ball, but now that he is getting pitched away I wouldn't mind seeing him take a few more pitches, but then again maybe that's the trade off for the power he now has.

If the Brewers hadn't gone and won the Marlins series, they'd still be on track to be back to .500 at around 37-37. Instead, I'm now dreading (again) the Pirates series in early July. Eerily, it again falls after a Cubs road series. Same order as teh "sweep suits"debacle. And if the Brewers continue to lose every series without getting swept, they'll be at 40-41 going into Pittsburgh.

They probably won't lose every series, but it looks like there is a not improbable chance the Crew will be again be going into Pittsburgh's house of horrors with .500 on the line.

Since the start of the Phillies series, the Brewers are averaging 3.4 runs per game and allowing 4.9 rpg. Yikes. Hardy is hitting .234 during that time, which is still better than Estrada (.203), Jenkins (.208) and Hall (.203). Thank goodness for Prince and Sheets.

My only complaint really about the game is letting Bush pitch the 7th. It just seems like he's 5-6 inning pitcher this year, eventually he's going to blow up and it's best not to push it. I just don't have a good feeling going into the 6th or 7th if Bush is still on the mound this year. I'm sure stats won't back me up, but that's my impression from watching the games.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I'm not buying the "Bush is a six-inning pitcher" stuff. What about the game in Houston against Oswalt where he had a shutout after eight innings?

He had 77 pitches after six innings. I was thinking eight innings or complete game for him. Yet some people are acting like it was obvious that he shouldn't have gone out after the sixth.

Quote:
This one is on Yost.

Dave Bush was cruising. He had thrown 77 pitches through 6 innings. At that point I was thinking CG out of him. He had retired 13 out of his last 14 hitters. He was flat out dealing.

He gave up a very tough 10 pitch walk to Barrett. Then he gave up a couple of singles.

I'll go so far as to say I would have rather let Bush work out of the 7th than bring in Shouse.

I agree with everybody who says Bush can go 7+, and if he'd finished the 7th tonight, it couldn't have been much worse than what the pen coughed up.

I remember Barrett's foul tip with two strikes and being angry at Estrada. I thought at that moment that not getting that strikeout might come back to hurt us, and sure enough it did.

This was a great situation where I'd love to see Yost have his best reliever pitcher. Small lead and in a major jam. Some day.

Yeah - I am not going to say Bush was left in to long, however I think a manager needs to have a quick(er) hook with the score 2-1 and your offense looking pretty dull. I certainly would have been thrilled to see CoCo come in after the walk and single.

What grinds me I guess, is that in the post-game Yost made a comment to the effect "Soriano is a great low-off-speed hitter", and then he shrugged if it is Matt Wise's fault for being an off-speed pitcher. If you know a batter is a great low-off-speed pitcher, that doesn't scream to me to be a favorable match-up for Matt Wise. Turnbow may have been a better solution. -- Now if Ned opted for Wise over Tbow because he thought Wise stood a better chance of getting Soriano out, I am OK with that. If Ned went to Wise only because it was inning 7, I think that was a pretty foolish move.

Archived