Brewer Fanatic

6/5/07 Cubs (Lilly) @ Brewers (Vargas): 7:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22

yep, you're right, except they have the comma after "works". For some reason I always remember it the other way around, probably because the way he actually says it makes even less sense http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

link

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mikerollins-

Hey, I hope your loyalty to Tbow shows that I am wrong about him. THat means he is having a great season.

In my personal opinion, I just don't see him as a successful setup man or closer. I hope I am wrong and you can laugh at me the rest of the year when TBow succeeds. I want every Brewer to succeed so they win Ball games. I even root for Spurling and Mench, who I think are REALLY bad.

I even root for Spurling and Mench, who I think are REALLY bad.

Amen brother.. I even *gulp* root for Dessens... no better feeling then when a Brewer makes me shut up like Jenkins has this year..

Anybody that has never heard of the phrase Camp Randall South or Camp Randall West must never have followed any Badger Football. It is only always used when the Badger fans take over a Stadium such as the Rose Bowl, Northwestern, Minnesota, Tampa, or other places-- Just tune in to the UNLV/Wisconsin game this fall-- it will be called Camp Randall West. Tune in Wisconsin/Minnesota this fall--it also will be called Camp Randall West.

Who was that guy managing our team tonight and what did he do with Ned Yost? Since when does Ned go against the almighty contemporary baseball rules about only bringing in your closer to start the 9th? One can only hope that Ned starts to use this practice a little more when the game is on the line like it was tonight. Quite frankly, a save is only a statistic, and if a game is on the line in the 8th, bring in Cordero for the situtation because he should be the best pitcher in your bullpen and what Major League pitcher can't get three batters out starting off an inning?

Even from the left field bleachers I could tell Turnbow wasn't getting the low strike that Eyre and Howry were. (It's easier than you think - watch the catcher's glove - they always catch and move their glove into the strike zone if it's out)

I thought he pitched well - he had to throw more fastballs than he needed to because he wasn't getting the strike calls that he deserved.

Apologies if this was already discussed, but I haven't read through all 14 pages of this and don't have time right now. Ned did a good job with his bullpen tonight, but I just have one question. Why did he let Villanueva bat in the 7th if he was just going to pull him in the 8th? That strikes me as a no-brainer. (Or did I miss something? I did have a few beers.)

Great game last night. I sat in section 228, which is the first section considered "outfield" on the second level and therefore fills up with 9-pack owners and was therefore relatively Cub-free.

Batters are taking more pitches against Turnbow now. He struggles under those conditions.

Claudio is wearing out our bullpen. Who is left to relieve in today's game. Suppan has to eat up innings again today. He has been worth the $ so far.

I was so glad when Yost brought in Coco to face Soriano.

Coco has been the man all season and why not go to him for a 4 out save. i like what Ned did Yesterday and the way the way the brewers hit with men on base and loved what Hart did on the bases.

Quote:
Since when does Ned go against the almighty contemporary baseball rules about only bringing in your closer to start the 9th?

You have to pick and choose your spots to do this. You can't bring Cordero in every time there's runners on base in the 8th inning. When Turnbow is facing the bottom of the order, you probably leave him in. But, with the game on the line and Soriano up as the go-ahead run...the situation dictated it.

If you do it every single time the situation arises (regardless of who the batter is) you will run Cordero into the ground.

Quote:
Mikerollins-

Hey, I hope your loyalty to Tbow shows that I am wrong about him. THat means he is having a great season.

In my personal opinion, I just don't see him as a successful setup man or closer.

Again...what is your definition of successful? Zero runs every single time out? That's the definition of Hall of Fame and if he did that, he would be a closer, not a set up man.

As I stated before. He has given up 0 runs in 21 out of his 28 appearances. Of those 7 games he gave up runs, 4 times it was only 1 run. That means in 3 out of 28 games he has given up multiple runs. I'll take my chances.

Quote:
Anybody that has never heard of the phrase Camp Randall South or Camp Randall West must never have followed any Badger Football. It is only always used when the Badger fans take over a Stadium such as the Rose Bowl, Northwestern, Minnesota, Tampa, or other places-- Just tune in to the UNLV/Wisconsin game this fall-- it will be called Camp Randall West. Tune in Wisconsin/Minnesota this fall--it also will be called Camp Randall West.

I really don't see what the big deal is about them calling it Wrigley Field North??? It is. Shampoo is right....when the Badgers went to the Rose Bowl in 1993, I bought a poster of the stadium and caption under the picture....

"CAMP RANDALL WEST"

Not to mention, the radio guys call it that as though it's common knowledge at the Rose Bowl.

I don't see any big deal with it.

Quote:
Claudio is wearing out our bullpen. Who is left to relieve in today's game. Suppan has to eat up innings again today.

Considering Suppan has gone:

7, 6, 6.1, 6, 8, 9, 5.2, 6, 7, 6, 6, 7, 7 innings this year.....

I don't anticipate it being a problem.

Considering Suppan went 6 innings in 26 out of 36 outings last year, it's almost a lock that he will give you 6 innings.

If that is the case...you just pitch Wise in the 7th, Turnbow in the 8th and Cordero in the 9th.

I am not too worried.

As for Vargas wearing out our bullpen, I'd say he is doing a great job of "SAVING OUR BULLPEN". How many #5 starters work into the 6th inning virtually every start??

By comparison...the 2 teams with the best record in the league's #5 starters:

(Red Sox) #5 starter (Taverez) has gone:

4 innings, 5.1, 4.2, 5, 6, 5, 7, 5.2, 5.2, 5.2

***Worked INTO the 6th inning in 6 out of 10 starts

(Angels) #5 Starter (Weaver) has gone

6 innings, 1.2, 5.2, 6, 6, 7, 6.2, 5, 4.2, 7

***Worked INTO the 6th inning in 7 out of 10 starts

Vargas has gone:

2 innings, 5, 6, 4, 5, 6, 6, 6, 4, 5.1, 6, 5.1

***Worked INTO the 6th inning in 7 out of 12 starts

Bottom line is....that's what 5th starters do. They are inconsistent. If they weren't, they'd be #3 starters or #2 starters.

During Yost's press conference he basically said Cordero is throwing the ball better then anyone he has seen since Rollie in 81. And that is probably true. If Cordero can keep it up all year he might be looking at relief man of the year and cy young. I dunno about MVP though that would be tough.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Archived