Brewer Fanatic

6/5/07 Cubs (Lilly) @ Brewers (Vargas): 7:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
Quote:
Anybody who averages 11+ K's per 9 innings must have something going for them.. especially since 0 of those strikeouts came on a changeup..

I think Turnbow has inconsistent good stuff. I just think that "phenomenal" is an overstatement, that's all.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
Those fans would be in trouble because obviously you don't see things very clearly.

Because I thought the bullpen was managed brilliantly tonight and the Brewers won??

Seems pretty clear to me?

I don't understand what the big fuss is? He tried to get through the 8th with Villy, he gave up a lead-off walk. He went to his 8th inning guy with a FOUR RUN lead. TBow got squeezed a little bit, gave up a squib single just past Hardy....As soon as it was dangerous (winning run at the plate)...he went to the best closer in the game.

Yes there are other ways it could have been done....could have started the 8th with Turnbow...could have let CV try to work through the 8th....etc etc...

But I don't think any of them are the "right" way and I had no problem with the way he did it tonight.

But yet it is ok when Badger fans travel and they have Camp Randall South or Camp Randall West??

Big difference. Badger fans aren't *******. At least not at the same ratio as Cubs fans. But you're point's taken. We all probably get too caught up in Cubs fans coming up here. They can be pretty obnoxious, though.

Luckily for the Brewers, Turnbow is automatic most of the time.

The ERA is starting to show otherwise. I love it when he's on, but its just as painful when he is off. In his defense, he should have led off the inning or not pitched at all.

Quote:
I just think that "phenomenal" is an overstatement, that's all.

I completely agree with this comment.

Do you agree with "Solid or decent"?

I think that when you look at 8th inning guys around the league Turnbow is definitely in the top 10.

Like I said earlier, I used to not care because we weren't selling out the stadium. However, this team is decent, and for no other reason than pride I would rather Cub fans never get into Miller Park again.

It started with that smug article how "cute" the Brewers were, that's when the Wrigley North thing started to tick me off. It just continues to irritate me, and keeps getting higher on my list to the point I'm thinking of buying weekday tickets for every Cubs game up here next year and making the road trip down from Green Bay.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Quote:
But yet it is ok when Badger fans travel and they have Camp Randall South or Camp Randall West??

I've never heard either of those two expressions, and frankly I'd be embarrassed if Badger fans started holding up a smug sign saying either of those two.

Cub fans always think they are better than Brewer fans, and always think their team is better. So when they're team is clearly worse they have to come up with some stupid little saying to try to make themselves feel superior, only it makes them look more idiotic than they already are.

Quote:
Luckily for the Brewers, Turnbow is automatic most of the time.

The ERA is starting to show otherwise. I love it when he's on, but its just as painful when he is off. In his defense, he should have led off the inning or not pitched at all

Why? He had a 4 run lead with one guy on 1st. It should have been no big deal. I would put him in in that situation again.

As for being automatic most of the time....he has appeared in 28 games. He has given up Zero runs 21 times. That's 75% of the time being automatic.

Of those 7 times he gave up runs....4 of them have been a single run.

So basically 3 out of 28 times he's given up more than 1 run. I'll take my chances with him.

Every cub fans that buys a ticket to Miller park makes it easier for us to extend Prince or Braun in the future...

They are just digging their own grave.. to that I say thank you Cub fans.. keep coming..

We all probably get too caught up in Cubs fans coming up here. They can be pretty obnoxious, though.

Good point. I think the thing that bugs Brewer fans the most about sCrub fans is that they aren't even fun to hang around. The strong majority of them are terrible to talk to, pompous, and painful to be around. It would be different if they were better fans, but this is what we get for being so close to Chicago. All the sweeter when we CRUSH their overpriced team!!

I would be remiss if I didn't post showing some love for the guy everyone wants to make a long-reliever in the Brewers 'pen, Mr. Claudio Vargas. Another stellar outing by our #5 guy. At 4-1 with an ERA just over 4.00, he's doing as well as I could've hoped. Everyone talks about the trouble he gets himself in to out there on the mound, but over and over again he's proven it's not a fluke he can work himself out of those jams.

Let's get Headcase Z tomorrow.

Quote:
I think the thing that bugs Brewer fans the most about sCrub fans is that they aren't even fun to hang around.

Well at least they aren't New York or Boston fans so that is something to be thankful for.

Player of the Game: Yost

For pulling the Turnbow before he gave up a 3-run jack to Alfonso and actually replacing him with Coco.

I agree.. you have to give him credit for going to Coco then.... nice thing about being a manager.. your bullpen will make you look brilliant half the time.. bad thing.. you bullpen will make you look like an idiot the other half.. I always try to remember that the reason people are in the pen is they were not good enough to be a starter so we shouldn't be surprised when they blow up.

Why? He had a 4 run lead with one guy on 1st. It should have been no big deal. I would put him in in that situation again.

IMO, I have a feeling that Turnbow has a somewhat fragile psyche when it comes to pitching. That said, when he expected to come in for his normal role and subsequently was told to sit tight for a while, it might have messed with his mojo. Yost should know his players by now, and he should learn from past experiences (Philly game). I am not the only one questioning this move, as it was the second question asked in the press conf.

I'm glad to hear that Yost just said that he thought Turnbow was throwing the ball well tonight. At least I wasn't seeing things.

I actually thought his fastball was a little to electric tonight.. it appeared to my untrained eyes to actually be moving and he couldn't command it on the corners..

His slider looked unhittable..

Quote:
Do you agree with "Solid or decent"?

Quote:
I think that when you look at 8th inning guys around the league Turnbow is definitely in the top 10.

I think he is decent, somewhere in the middle of the pack for 8th inning guys. My concern is that since the beginning of May, Derrick has pitched 11 innings and allowed 19 hits/walks, and it has come against better competition. I like him alot as a middle reliever, he's ok as a primary setup guy, but I don't want him closing again.

Well at least they aren't New York or Boston fans so that is something to be thankful for.

Seeing the Brewers at Shea, almost all of the fans I interacted with (besides the unparented 10-12 year olds) were fun to hang around with. You may be referring to Yankee fans, and to that I have no first hand knowledge to comment on (but I hear Red Sox fans are the worst).

"Works 60% of the time, every time."

Isn't the quote "60% of the time, it works every time" which is an accurate statement, if redundant statement..

Sorry my inner applied math major coming out..

While we are quoting dumb funny movies..

"Did we sleep together"

"Yes"

"Nice" - Knocked Up..

Funniest movie I have seen this year.

Archived