Brewer Fanatic

6/5/07 Cubs (Lilly) @ Brewers (Vargas): 7:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
You're right, Peavey. You're always smarter than everyone else here. My apologies for not bowing to your superior baseball knowledge.

I absolutely agreed with his statement so thanks for complementing me on my superior baseball knowledge as well. I only thought I had superior football knowledge because I can call plays better than any offensive coordinator http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Ned Yost is just brutal when it comes to his use or misuse of the pen, and his seeming propensity to leave starter's in past what is clearly their point of effectiveness. He has shown the tendency long enough for me to believe he'll never learn and always be a liability in that area. What has Carlos Villanueva done to show him that he's not to be trusted simply because he walks one batter to start an inning. He's done nothing but pitch his best with the game on the line. But he leaves Vargas out there to drown in the 6th when that's around the time he gasses out, and players are killing the ball off him. Then he doesn't bring Cordero in yet with the bases loaded, with the chance for the Cubs to tie it. Turnbow can never seem to get that final out. I'm done with that guy as setup. We need to make a move for another reliever or promote Gallardo and give him the opportunity. Or Villanueva possibly. The less fails Nedly has in our pen, the better of a chance we'll have to actually win something.

Quote:
If we survive tonight than our bullpen is a mess for tomorrow.

Good thing Suppan goes 7 almost every single outing.

Wise is fresh. Capellan is fresh. CoCo didn't pitch last night and will be fine to pitch.

I'd hardly call it an emergency.

Villy - average stuff, mentally tough..

T-Bow - phenomenal stuff, head-case

Coco - Villy's head plus T-bow's arm..

Anybody else think we should trade someone like Parra for Lidge so we can pair him with T-Bow..

Pretty nice - seems to be a few less Cubs shirts behind home plate this inning......don't tell me some of these lovable Cub fans leave early??! As long as they left with their wallets empty, have a save drive down I-94. And remember, don't speed - your wallet's already empty!

Wendlestad squeezed him on DeRosa.

Worst squeeze I have seen all year. That pitch at the belt catching white and black on the plate is an inexcusable missed strike call. Still, he didn't pitch all that great. He is shakey most outings. Maybe he needs some horn rimmed glasses and a fresh razor blade haircut?

Too much of Coco? to get 4 outs instead of 3? Geez...

sometimes it is more about getting Cordero's arm hot and then having him sit for 15 minutes... then get another 3 outs.

i'd be comfortable giving Francis 6 outs if he could have em all in a row without a rest.

If we survive tonight than our bullpen is a mess for tomorrow.

Good news is with Thursday being an off-day that Wise, T-Bow, and Coco can probably pitch again.. though I don't know if the thought of Wise and T-bow pitching makes me happy.

Quote:
Turnbow allowed an inherited runner to score, he got two outs and allowed 2 hits and a walk. That's a pretty bad outing for your main setup guy.

Obviously the results weren't great. I didn't need your brilliant recap of what I just watched to tell me what happened.

Watching him pitch...I thought he pitched better than the results indicated.

He was squeezed pretty tight IMO on the DeRosa AB. He gets ONE of those 2 calls and then it's slider, slider instead of fastball, fastball.

Why are many so concerned about bringing Turnbow in with runners on base? He's constantly pitching with men on base. He should be used to it. Also, he's a relief pitcher, for crying out loud. Relief pitchers often come in with runners on base.

Quote:
T-Bow - phenomenal stuff, head-case

Turnbow does not have phenomenal stuff. His fastball is very fast, but very, very straight. His slide can be nasty at times, but it's inconsistent at best.

Cordero's stuff blows Turnbow's stuff away. I think many people overestimate the "head-case" stuff with Turnbow, he just isn't that good. He's an average setup guy.

getting pie to start the inning would sure be nice...hate to have to face lee and ramirez as the tying/winning runs.....let's go coco!!

also...anyone else think tony gwynn almost takes pitches to a fault? it seems like he goes up there trying to walk, or at least not swing until he gets 2 strikes

Why is getting an extra inning out of a pretty solid Villanueva to keep the rest of the pen fresh is a bad idea for some reason?

And how did that work tonight? Ned panicked at the first sign of trouble and yanked CV. I'm sure that worked wonders on CV confidence. I guess it's the Dr. Jekyl/Mr. Hyde routine from Ned. He fixates on hitter's, often goes 1 hitter too many for his starters then yanks one of his best relievers after 1 BB when he planned on resting his bullpen. If there was some consistency to his moves I'd be less inclined to think he manages by lower brain activity knee jerk responses than actual strategy.

Archived