Brewer Fanatic

Serious question about the Brewers and their place in Wisconsin

If you want to look for an ignored franchise in Milwaukee by the media and fans, it's the Bucks, apathy has set in strong.

Yeah, but the NBA deserves to be ignored. It must be pretty sad for whatever NBA fans there are in this area, though. The Bucks even only got their arena because of the dreams of a Hockey fan.

I grew up in the 1980's when nobody cared about the Packers and it was all Brewers and Bucks. So yes, it is possible.

Except for the few hours I was at the game today, I have also been listening to the radio and TV since early this morning and I really don't think the Farve story got a whole lot of coverage. WSSP and WTMJ have been talking about opening day stuff all day. So I don't really agree with the premise of this thread.

And I can't fault the media for covering other news stories too.

540 has Jason Wilde on every day. He wasn't on the whole show, you just happened to tune in when he was on.

Sports radio is tough. There are a lot of topics to discuss, and everybody has their own interests. They can't talk baseball all day, even today, or they will lose listeners for that day.

I think many in the state would consider me a girlie man, as I don't hunt, fish, watch NASCAR, or drive a truck/SUV and am only a casual Packer fan.
Same here. I'm not even a casual Packer fan. The last Packer game I've seen was the Super Bowl and that was because the family had a Super Bowl Party.

Even if the Brewers win the World Series, and the Packers stink for a number of years, I'm guessing even then, it wouldn't be even. I guess an incident at work is telling. Another big Brewer fan and I where talking to a woman who knows quite a bit about the Packers. We mentioned Prince Fielder bobble head day and she had no idea who we were talking about.

By the way, when the Brewers win the World Series, they'll have as many titles as the storied Packers over the past 40 years.

Everything goes in cycles. Sure the Brewers can be just as dominate in Wisconsin as the Packers. In fact I am already see signs of people wearing more Brewer clothes in my area than Packer clothes. My Kohls carried a lot more Brewers stuff than Packers stiff even over the winter.

It all has to do with winning. Just think back if someone mentioned the easter sunday game or the 13 game winning streak the average wisconsinite would know what you mean. Ask them who the Packer quaterback was in 1987. Im guessing you might get a much lower percentage of people who know that. I love the Packers. I could probally name off 75% of the 96 team from memory. I consider my self a much big Brewer fan but I know I could hardly tell you who was on the 96 Brewer team. Ask me about the 82 Brewer team I could probally rattle off 90 % of that team & I was a kid when they were playing. I think it all has to do with the winning season.

By the way, when the Brewers win the World Series, they'll have as many titles as the storied Packers over the past 40 years.

The Brewers are going to win the triple world series this year? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Football is just bigger than baseball. It just is. Be thankfull that the Brewers still domiante over the Badgers. You know in Texas in many places its:

Dallas Cowboys

Texas/Texas A&M

Houston Texans

Rangers/Astros

Same reason that the only "basketball school" with a halfway decent football program is UCLA.

You know in Texas in many places its:

Dallas Cowboys

Texas/Texas A&M

Houston Texans

Rangers/Astros

Actually, in Texas it's pretty close to:

Local High School

Cowboys

Horns/Aggies

Texans

Rangers/Astros

Should be interesting to see what happens when the Badgers' radio contract comes up for negotiations in coming years....

Archived