Brewer Fanatic

Bobby Cox is awesome

ELCABALLO45

Ok so they have Resop on the mound (a righty), He gets a out, so they bring in Ring a lefty for one guy. So Bobby Cox puts Resop in left and takes out Diaz. Ring gets the guy out. Resop comes back to pitch and Blanco (a outfielder) goes to left. It didnt work out because Resop gave up a hit, but still.. THAT IS SWEET!!

(pulled all-caps from thread title --1992)

Didn't Trebelhorn do that once in a game in the AL...you have to give up your DH the rest of the game, but I vaguely remember him moving a pitcher to another position.

I might be dreaming but for some reason, I think it may have happened.

Didn't Trebelhorn do that once in a game in the AL...you have to give up your DH the rest of the game, but I vaguely remember him moving a pitcher to another position.
If a manager works completely around the DH, he wouldn't have to give up the DH. If you stash a pitcher in left field, the DH isn't touched.

What you probably remember is a situation where the DH had to be moved to a defensive position. That would force the pitcher to bat. That's something that happens to every AL team now and then.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

1992casey wrote:

If a manager works completely around the DH, he wouldn't have to give up the DH. If you stash a pitcher in left field, the DH isn't touched.

What you probably remember is a situation where the DH had to be moved to a defensive position. That would force the pitcher to bat. That's something that happens to every AL team now and then.

That happened to the Twins just last year.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I remember Treblehorn doing it too. I knew Crim went to first but for some reason I thought the left hander that he brought in was Tony Fossas. Plesac makes more sense, especially if it was the last out.

I think Treblehorn pulled some funny infield alignments too. If he wanted a ground ball double play he would move one of the outfielders to a rover position between shortstop and second base. I can't recall that it ever worked. It usually meant that Rob Deer and Glen Braggs were alone in the outfield.

Tom Treblehorn did this in Toronto. Had Chuck Crim move pitch to first to have Plesac pitch to a lefty with a righty on deck. Plesac got the final out of the game.

I was going to guess it was Chuck Crim and living in Nebraska, I would have only read about this in the box score, so my recollection was foggy at best...Those were the days before the internet and easy access to JS online, Milwaukee Brewer.com and most importantly Brewerfan.net to get my daily dose of Brewer information.

I'll show my age. In one of the last year that Warren Spahn pitched for the Milwaukee Braves(1963 or 64), I was just old enough to go to games without my parents, well, it was either Spahnie or another southpaw, Denny LeMaster pitching and when a lefty hitter came up the manager (Birdie Tebbets?) move the pitcher to FIRST BASE and brought in a RH pitcher. After that batter it was a lefty coming up so the LH pitcher returned to the slab.

Yeah -- I seem to remember Wegman playing the OF some.

Yes he did, but not for the reason being talked about here. Wegman talked his way into an inning of RF in his last game in the big leagues. He said he knew he was going to retire and it was something he always wanted to do (play the outfield). For what ever reason, being at that game has remained one of my favorite game memories.
20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

I'm surprised that he didn't bring Peter Moylan in for the fourth game in a row and then substitute him at first.

(I'm also surprised that Moylan is not their emergency first baseman, considering all the wackiness that appears to be going on in Atlanta this season.)

Archived