Brewer Fanatic

How Much Pressure is on Bush in his next start?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The rotation is quite crowded right now. They have no reason to rush Parra or Villy, there is all kinds of flexibility there. The problem is, Bush still has to give them the #1 reason to keep him in the rotation, that of course being him pitching effectively enough to be there. If he can't, Parra and Villy should stay up. Both are more than major-league ready.

Thing is what Bush has been has been about as good as Suppan has been for the recent past. Yes he had a sub 4 ERA in St Louis due to a great defense, but he's a 33 year old with a career ERA of 4.60 who played in the NL for the past 4 seasons. Bush is a 28 year old with a career ERA of 4.57 with over 1/3 of that in the AL.

Thing is what Bush has been has been about as good as Suppan has been for the recent past. Yes he had a sub 4 ERA in St Louis due to a great defense, but he's a 33 year old with a career ERA of 4.60 who played in the NL for the past 4 seasons. Bush is a 28 year old with a career ERA of 4.57 with over 1/3 of that in the AL.

So part of your reasoning is based on looking at carrer ERA, without looking at full context? Part of this discrepancy is based on Suppan's early career, from ages 20-23, when he was in the major leagues as a below average pitcher. At the same age, Bush wasn't in the major leagues. It doesn't make a lot of sense to hold this against Suppan when evaluating their current value.

Bush's best season was his first season, at partial season of less than 100 innings thrown 4 years ago. His performance certainly looked impressive, but the 3 seasons he has pitched since then haven't really come close when looking at ERA+ (131 then, 103 is the highest since). I'm far from a pitching expert, but I do wonder why Bush hasn't been able to come close to the same results over the last three years that he had in his first. I don't know if he surprised big league hitters with some funky movement and there is now a book on hitting him, I don't know if he just got lucky in his first year, and his recent performance is his true talent.

It's true that Suppan has never dominated over a full season as Bush did in his first. Of course, Bush has never done so over a full season either.

Parra stays because he'd be the only lefty in the rotation(and IMO as good as bush is right now), Bush moves to the LR role and McClung gets sent to Nashville.

This is what I'm hoping as well, but somehow I doubt it is what will happen. They seem inexplicably high on McClung.

feel free to locky if the mods feel the threads are too similar

Merged instead. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Three year splits

WHIP/BAA/K/BB/IP

1.45/.284/332/200/591

1.26/.270/375/111/532.2

Which guy would you want?

I'd want something like ISO or OPS against as well as FB/GB before I answered. Then I'd probably get the answer wrong anyway because Bush is the rare pitcher who seems to have a natural skill for giving up hits with RISP. It has lasted long enough that I don't have a ton of faith he can fix it like I did in the past.

Sheets has gotten hurt a lot, although there's no actual cause to think he'll get hurt this year. Parra has a terrible health history. Gallardo is too young and too valuable to be a workhorse. Even if Dave Bush has no chance of becoming more than a 4/5 guy -- and I'm with those who think he has some chance, but it's diminishing -- he's still a very important guy to have around. There's a very good chance that at least six guys will make substantial numbers of starts for the Brewers this year, and Bush is one of our top six (Narveson has to show a lot more before we have any real reason to believe he's better than Bush). Even at his worst (i.e., last year), Bush is very good as a 4/5. If enough bodies drop that he becomes our third best option, then we have a problem unless he beats the odds and gets better. He also has a very good health record.

Greg.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I would say Bush two years ago was the best I'd ever seen of him pitching. I know his ERA was better with the Blue Jays a few years ago, but Bush proved to be a workhorse (210IP), with good control of his fastball (38BB) while also getting a good amount of K's (166K). And with Manny being watched carefully (as well as YoGa once he returns), Bush is a necessity this year. Next year, then, we'll probably have to choose between Suppan and Bush, but this year, he is undoubtedly a solid piece of our rotation.

with Yost's determination to keep veteran guys around, and the fact that Capuano was given 10 last chances, i would say not a whole lot of pressure at this point. Its just too bad we can't just have him start games at Miller Park. He is brutal on the road.

Once Gallardo returns, Bush has to be the one to go!
I wish it was that simple, but we need to maintain pitching depth in case of injury and that's what makes guys like Bush so valuable. They never get injured and they're on the mound every 5 days. The easy solution seems to be to move him to the bullpen, and I think that is likely to happen with a few more bad starts because the Brewers don't really have a true long man. Then we don't lose him from our 25 man roster for nothing.

Also, I'm going to be watching closely how Zach Jackson and Narveson do in AAA because the better they do and the worse Bush does, the less value he has.

Should we pencil in Wednesday as a loss with Bush pitching against the Reds unless the Brewers give him 7 runs of support? Although that is entirely possible with Josh Fogg going for the Reds.

It'd be nice if this discussion could be constructive, instead of stuff like this.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Plain and simple, it will all take care of itself. Bush's next start has no more bearing on his staus than the last 10. Rosters and lineups are fickle. They have their own way of coming into focus. Each guy plays his best and hopes that his skill set fits into the current roster as it is composed that day. There'll be times this year when quality guys get sent down, and there'll times when guys like Nix and Abraham Nunez will be on the team. It's a marathon, not a sprint. When will we all learn this?

Posts like "life or death" and "Bush is the one to go" are just uninformed. All of your data based on one start each? What if Bush pitched a one hitter in Chicago and Suppan or Villy got lit up? Then we would only need to switch the name in the headline. Thankfully, there have been some other posts here that have been well thought out.

Archived