Brewer Fanatic

I Should Just Buy the MLB Package!

While I shouldn't complain, since it's my own fault, seeing as I'm so cheap, it's still a bit disappointing that the Brewers had to play the Cubs in the first week of the season, when the MLB package is free on DirecTV. I could see the Cubs every day! I was hoping for a more exotic opponent, like the Giants...except Saturday's game isn't on the MLB package.

Anyway, a few late-arriving notices after 3 games:

- Ben Sheets looked great, but watching him is like when Dominik Hasek was on the Buffalo Sabres. It seemed that the offense kind of lets up when they know the man primarily responsible for shutting out the opponent is out there. I know it's a 1/2-baked conspiracy theory, but it happens so often to Ben...

- A few years ago, Fox Sports was called on the carpet for "sweetening" its sporting broadcasts by adding cheers, phony signs supposedly drawn by fans, and my favorite, fake flash bulbs going off every so often, to add "excitement." And now, after watching a few games on the YES Network, when that manatee Joba Chamberlain enters a game, the flash bulbs start going off as if Frank Sinatra returned from beyond to do the national anthem.

- Sloppy native of CANADA Eric Gagne HAS pitched in cold, crummy weather before, right? Once he sees his breath, he becomes Velma from Scooby-Doo.

- Saw the Giants against the Dodgers. If we were to hypothetically send Sheets, Gallardo & Villanueva against them, in their offense's current state, they may not get a hit all weekend. Hoping for a sweep against the likes of such everyday players as Jose Castillo, Eugenio Velez, the whimsically-named Brian Bocock and cleanup man Bengie Molina (!), is not getting greedy.

- Funniest moment of the series: Less than a day after the chants of "Foo-Koo-Dough-May!" on Opening Day, Kosuke strikes out against SoupCan in the 4th inning. The crowd goes mostly silent, then you can clearly hear one lone, already-disgruntled Cub fan: "Booooooo!"

- Bad Luck Dave Bush has taken the early lead in the "Yep-I'm-the-guy-Gallardo-will-bump-to-the-bullpen" sweepstakes.

- If Mike Cameron doesn't come back strong, I'm OK with giving Tony Gwynn, Jr. a few more at bats.

- Nothing says "lack of confidence" like Ned yanking Ryan Braun for defensive replacements so often already. If he misses any at-bats for Gabe Kapler, I'll scream.

- Ted Lilly will attest that no team should ever start a LHP against us this year.

- Lou Piniella scrapped the Soriano-batting-2nd experiment after 2 whole games. Now he's back to leading off, and driving in no one. Good.

- If 2nd base were about 5 feet behind the mound, Jason Kendall would have nailed nearly every attempted steal.

- Chicago sports talk radio clowns already had Brian Roberts leading off on Opening Day, as if getting him was their birthright. And what were they "giving up" for him, to Baltimore? I heard such attractive packages they offered, as Sean Gallagher & Ryan Theriot....Kevin Hart & Ronny Cedeno, and my favorite, Jason Marquis & Henry Blanco! Stubborn Orioles! We've been suffering for 100 years of mismanagement - cough him up already!

- Just witnessed Alex Rodriguez kick a grounder, for a 2-0 Blue Jays lead. While that won't make today's loss go away, it doesn't hurt.

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

- Funniest moment of the series: Less than a day after the chants of "Foo-Ko-Dough-May!" on Opening Day, Kosuke strikes out against in the 4th inning. The crowd goes mostly silent, then you can clearly hear one lone, already-disgruntled Cub fan: "Booooooo!"

I can almost guarantee the guy was joking, which is why it's funny.

"I can almost guarantee the guy was joking, which is why it's funny. "

Not if that guy was my dad! He's in his 70's, and a gruff ex-Chicago cop, and all it takes is a key strikeout, even after 3, 4 straight hits, and like so many Cub fans, he goes right back to being disgruntled. While Cub fans pout about what have you done for me lately, and why are you letting me down, White Sox fans would just blame the umps.

"If someone no-hits the Giants this year, does it really count? I'd think a Molina-anchored offense merits an asterisk at the least."

Wouldn't be the first time this decade that a Giants offense deserved an asterisk!

" I think I'd rather have the Brewers face a lefty like Santana over an average RHP."

Oh, I'll spot you Santana Claus, although I'd love to see Ryan Braun humiliate him. Other than that, there aren't too many lefties we should be scared of. This weekend could be fun, especially since we miss Cain and Lincecum.

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

Good stuff, Geno.

I think I'm gonna buy the MLB package as a sort of preventive medicine. It's so calming watching other teams implode that I'm sure it will save my BP from skyrocketing thereby causing me to stroke out. After a bad Brewers loss, I'll just find the Giants or something and all will be right with the world.

I see what you're saying with Sheets but Zambrano was filthy on Monday. I hate the dude but when he's on, I love watching him pitch. There. I said it. And I'm not ashamed.

" I think I'd rather have the Brewers face a lefty like Santana over an average RHP."

Oh, I'll spot you Santana Claus, although I'd love to see Ryan Braun humiliate him. Other than that, there aren't too many lefties we should be scared of. This weekend could be fun, especially since we miss Cain and Lincecum.

Didn't Prince and Weeks hit their first career home runs off of Santana? I know Santana started the game (I was there! awesome game), but I don't remember if he was still pitching when they went yard.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Rickie's first HR definitely came at Santana's expense. I want to say it was Jesse Crain who gave up the Prince bomb. I'm pretty sure Santana was out by the time Prince did his thing.

Seriously, just thinking of that game (Fanfest '05, many of you will recall) has pumped me up even more for today's game. That one was extra special.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"Nothing says "lack of confidence" like Ned yanking Ryan Braun for defensive replacements so often already. If he misses any at-bats for Gabe Kapler, I'll scream. "

They were double switches - I think it's just coincidence but we'll see....

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Rickie's first HR definitely came at Santana's expense. I want to say it was Jesse Crain who gave up the Prince bomb. I'm pretty sure Santana was out by the time Prince did his thing.

Seriously, just thinking of that game (Fanfest '05, many of you will recall) has pumped me up even more for today's game. That one was extra special.

Pretty sure it was Crain as well. Santana did give up Weeks homer. I have the scorecard, first time scoring a game, but I don't have the Minnesota pitchers filled out well.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

If 2nd base were about 5 feet behind the mound, Jason Kendall would have nailed nearly every attempted steal.

But with him juggling it when transferring it to his throwing hand, they might still be safe. Hopefully people were not blaming it entirely on the pitching staff, and hopefully this is not a trend. Kendall better throw some guys out soon or they will be running on him every time they get on base.

"Kendall better throw some guys out soon or they will be running on him every time they get on base."

Believe me, LE, it's tough to keep up this cynical veneer after today's fun at the expense of the Giants, but I still worry about this. Kendall spiking the ball into the grass just behind the mound, off to the right of the mound, scares the bejeezus outta me.

My favorite bit from Brian Anderson today was when he talked about Carlos Villanueva. Our play-by-play guy said that Brian Sabean was asked about when he traded away CV to Milwaukee, and Sabean said he didn't remember ever having Villy! Ahh...for fun! In the conversations about the worst GMs in the game, I'm considering the Dodgers Ned Colletti, Seattle's Bill Bavasi, and especially Sabean.

That is correct. Last year against the Pirates sometime in May I got to answer the question on the jumbotron about Fielder's first career homerun.

"Nothing says "lack of confidence" like Ned yanking Ryan Braun for defensive replacements so often already. If he misses any at-bats for Gabe Kapler, I'll scream. "

They were double switches - I think it's just coincidence but we'll see....

I don't mind defensive replacements in a close game when it's not likely that the player being lifted will get another at bat. It did seem odd to me when Braun would get lifted in the 7th and then his spot would come up later in the game with him on the bench (I think that only happened a few times, but still).

Archived