Brewer Fanatic

6/8/07 Brewers (Capuano) @ Rangers (Tejeda): 7:35 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One thing I have noticed is that this team struggles when it is behind quite a bit (I know most teams do.). However, they have not really come back from any deficits this year except that Cubs game when they were down 4-0 early.

As mentioned before, if the Brewers get swept in Texas, I believe management seriously has to think about giving Yost the axe. Yeah, I know the Brewers are in first, but that's only because every other team has sucked until the beginning of this month. Maybe a shakeup would be beneficial.

Quote:
I am hoping that this game is rock-bottom for the rest of the season as I don't think I have seem them play this bad this year (yet).

Unfortunately, they have played their worst game of the year the last two games. And today was after an "off day."

Again, this is the first time that I thought maybe a managing change was in order. I will not call for it yet unless they get swept by the Rangers.

I don't see it actually happening, but Yost being fired probably isn't as far-fetched as some people would believe. There's a GREAT chance to win the division this year while others teams are down, so DM may just have to try everything possible to get things done this year.

Quote:
This series reminds me of the series at Kansas City last year.

Oh, thanks for bringing that up. You're right. Bad memories. This does seem similar, or could have that flavor if it continues.

Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

This is worse then when Gozer the Destructor locked down the public library...

there was so much negativity permeating that everybody was at each other's throats.

we need some statue of liberty action with the nintendo advantage hooked up in there.

this SUUCKS SOOOOO BAD,

see... it's got a hold of me too.

cue:

"we are the world, we are the children..."

How much good would a managing change mid-season do for such a young team, though? Who could the Brewers get that would do much better?

As much as this team needs a shot in the arm, I'm afraid firing Yost mid-season would be like giving up on the season. They'd most likely name Sveum the interim manager and the Brewers would be even worse off.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I believe Rick Helling and Zach Jackson pitched in that series. Sheets, Bush, and Cappy are going up against a team that isn't much better than the Royals last year. So, a sweep in Texas would be devastating with DET and MIN coming up.

And Capellan, you suck.

How much good would a managing change mid-season do for such a young team, though? Who could the Brewers get that would do much better?

As much as this team needs a shot in the arm, I'm afraid firing Yost mid-season would be like giving up on the season. They'd most likely name Sveum the interim manager and the Brewers would be even worse off.

I agree. I'm not advocating a change - just saying that it's probably more possible (albeit slim) than most would believe. And as someone pointed out, Buck Rogers was 25-25 (I think) and I'm sure everyone didn't believe they could find someone mid-season to improve things either.

They'd most likely name Sveum the interim manager and the Brewers would be even worse off.

That's pretty much the main reason I'd definitely keep Yost until the end of the season. The other Brewer coaches are as dopey (if not more dopey) than Yost, and share similar baseball philosophies, so I don't see the point.

If you're going to make a change, bring in a whole new staff. Preferably guys that aren't so locked into "traditional" thinking, and know how to use a stat sheet or scouting report that looks further back than the past 2 weeks.

Quote:

That is a good point and a successor would have to come from within if they made one.

Again, I am not asking for Yost to be fired yet. However, if he gets swept in this series, I believe that you have to look at it as an option. Being swept by these guys in this situation is unacceptable and these young players and veterans may react positively to a negative situation when their weaknesses are addressed by a new person in charge.

Look at Kuehn, Garner, and Billy Martin. All were managers that were implemented to change the atmosphere in the clubhouse and it worked. I also do realize that it may not be the answer either. I just think this team is a lot better than what it is showing right now.

Archived