Brewer Fanatic

Cubs fans being Cubs fans; Marty Brennaman chimes in

sargennm

The crazy thing is, I saw him do it at Wrigley in 2000 and 2006 and they ate it up with a spoon--they loved him. When i pointed this out to my Cubs fan friends' last year, they told me "Whatever, man...this is a pennant race!"

Great bravado guys...you really laid the blocks to that septuagenarian ambassador of the game.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Marty Brennaman didn't back off Friday regarding his strong comments about Cubs fans. If anything, he added more fuel to the fire by saying Cardinals fans were the best in baseball.
Since when is giving the title of 'the best fans in baseball' to the best fans in baseball some sort of incendiary remark?

I'm really liking Brennaman. He's been announcing the last few Brewers vs Reds games on MLB TV. It's refreshing to hear an announcer very opinionated and taking strong stands on things.

On a side note. Funniest things a Cub fan ever said to me at Miller Park was in 2005. I was sitting next to her and her obnoxious friends the entire game. We were winning the entire game by a run or two. Turnbow came in for the save and mowed down Lee on three pitches. Crowed going crazy, she turns to me and says, "oh, so now you cheer for them." What?

Since when is giving the title of 'the best fans in baseball' to the best fans in baseball some sort of incendiary remark?

When he says it about the Cubs' longtime rival?

I'm really liking Brennaman. He's been announcing the last few Brewers vs Reds games on MLB TV. It's refreshing to hear an announcer very opinionated and taking strong stands on things.

I haven't been watching MLB.TV, but I just want to point out that Marty Brennaman made the comments, but iirc his son Thom Brennaman is the regular Reds TV p-b-p announcer. Not sure which one you've been hearing -- they're both good though!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The actual number of balls thrown on the field was 18. My comment about a hundred by the end of the year was not about what might happen in the future but how Wednesday night's incident will be grossly over-exagerated. Fans that were spied throwing non-home run balls were ejected as the Cubs stated that throwing back a home run ball was OK but not batting practice balls. (Note: Yes I know and the Cubs probably know that a replacement ball is frequently thrown back.)

So what makes the Cardinal fans. the best fans in baseball? When I hear an older man tell his grandson, "Well, at least we got to see a good game tonight." That was a 6-0 Cardinal victory. 6-0 a good game? No! It was a good result for the Cardinals, but it was not a good game.

I was at the game yesterday, and saw that shirt on sale outside the park by 1 vendor and he was kind of hiding in a corner. That shirt is an embarassment and good Cubs fans know it.

Dempster hugging a foxy blonde on the mound on Friday?

Hmmm... maybe that's why he lost complete control in the 5th inning yesterday. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

cubfan1126 wrote:

So what makes the Cardinal fans. the best fans in baseball? When I hear an older man tell his grandson, "Well, at least we got to see a good game tonight." That was a 6-0 Cardinal victory. 6-0 a good game? No! It was a good result for the Cardinals, but it was not a good game.

I don't see how this applies to the entire fan base, or even a small portion of it. One guy made a somewhat technically incorrect statement. That's quite a reach.

Also, 18 baseballs is still 17 too many. And I don't remember the Cubs throwing out half the people in the bleachers for throwing trash on numerous occasions.

I don't see how this applies to the entire fan base, or even a small portion of it. One guy made a somewhat technically incorrect statement. That's quite a reach.

OK agreed. - it is a reach. But is my indictment of an entire fan base because of that stupid statement any different than Marty inticting an entire fan base because of a bunch of boorish idiots. Or maybe I should also include the people on this site that indict an entire fan base because of a few drunken morons.

Well, the only difference is you used an example of one singular person whereas Marty and me have probably met hundreds of Cub fans who were so wasted and obnoxious that they took something away from our enjoyment of a baseball game, which is something I don't like very much. Now, if the Cards fans that come up here did what the Cub fans have done in the past few years, I'd be bashing them left and right too. The thing is, they don't get hammered and they don't start calling me or my team childish names.

I don't think the Cards have the best fans in baseball. I don't think any team has the market cornered on great fans, that's just impossible.

I don't think the Cards have the best fans in baseball. I don't think any team has the market cornered on great fans, that's just impossible.

I think that was the point I was trying to make. All teams have great fans and all teams have a segment of morons for fans. Calling any team's fans "the best in all baseball" is a stretch.

Yeah, I don't think anyone can say with any kind of logic or reason that Team X has better fans than Team Y. There's no way to determine something like that.

I know there are plenty of uninformed fans at Miller Park every game saying things that don't make sense. The thing with those kind of people at Wrigley is, they're mostly in one area and that area has gotten a reputation because of it.

Also, I've been to STL a couple of times and they have plenty of fans that don't know what they're talking about. They aren't all what Bob Costas says they are.

Archived