Brewer Fanatic

Cubs fans being Cubs fans; Marty Brennaman chimes in

sargennm
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't think this required a new thread... perhaps a thread title update?

Reds announcer Marty Brenneman, on Cubs fans:

"Among all baseball fans, and I can't attest to the Yankees or the Red Sox because we don't see them with any degree of regularity unless it's interleague play, but far & away the most obnoxious fans in baseball in this league are those who follow this team right here."

"You simply root against 'em"

Linkage to audio

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Marty is entitled to his opinion.

I have been to Fulton County, Riverfront, Jack Murphy, Dodger Stadium, Candlestick, County Stadium, Miller Park, Astrodome, Comiskey, US Cellular, Veterans, and Shea for baseball games and I have had to call security for protection because I was cheering FOR my team in only 1 place. RIVERFRONT.

Hah I just listened to this about a minute ago. I'll agree there a plently of obnoxious Cub fans who go to games at Wrigley, but to completely bash a team's fan base is pretty ridiculous. He also said something like (paraphrase) "Some pick them to win the division, but at the end of the day I think they won't because they're the Chicago Cubs." I guess he doesn't remember last year.

This was after Cubs fans hurled a bunch of BP balls on the field after they couldn't throw an Adam Dunn home run back, because it had completely left the stadium.

"There are balls coming from all over the place, Left field, center field, right field. ... See, this is the kind of thing, quite honestly right now, that makes you want to see this Chicago Cubs team lose. .. [F]ar and away, the most obnoxious fans in baseball, in this league, are those who follow this team right here. ... You simply root against them. I've said all winter - they talk about this team winning the division - and my comment is, they won't win it because, at the end of the day, they still are the Chicago Cubs, and they will figure out a way to screw this whole thing up."

The full article is here.

The Sun-Times has an article today about the racist shirt:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/901817,CST-SPT-gordo18.article

"I don't know what the creator of the shirt meant this to be, but they should make it right,'' Fukudome said through his interpreter after being shown one of the shirts Thursday. ''Maybe the creator created it because he thought it was funny, or maybe he made it to condescend the race. I don't know.''

Popular sports blog We Are The Postmen also picked up on it:

http://www.wearethepostmen.com/2008/04/18/with-racist-apparel-cubs-fans-actually-are-obnoxious/

The Cubs fans at Wrigley Field are beyond redemption or, for that matter, worthy discussion. It's a truism by this point that they suck.

From their inattentiveness to their drunkenness to their boorishness, they are tops in all of baseball. Philly and New York fans are jerks, but at least they pay attention. Cubs fans? The spectacle of them throwing their trash on the field on multiple occasions in recent years-either in celebration or in disgust-is enough of an indictment.

And then when they rejoin with this "Cubby" piety, registering in toxic levels of entitlement, it makes it so much the worse. Poor management and bad ownership have conspired to make the franchise an historic shame, but there is little doubt in my heart that it is the corroded character of their fan base that has wrought their fate from the baseball gods.

This was after Cubs fans hurled a bunch of BP balls on the field after they couldn't throw an Adam Dunn home run back, because it had completely left the stadium
Yea, i was listening to sports radio the other day and they brought it up. Apparently there was 20-30 balls thrown onto the field after the HR. Makes no sense at all, but then again, it is Wrigley...

(pared back long quote --1992)

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Brenneman estimated it at 15-20, iirc.

That's almost as bad as that one super bowl commercial.

Wow, yea... almost. Great memory on that one Stevo.

One irony in this tidbit is that one of the main reasons Fukudome was said to prefer Chicago is that, being a larger metro area, it would be more Japan-friendly (or however you'd say it). I know this is the old axiom of one bad apple... but still ironic.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

One irony in this tidbit is that one of the main reasons Fukudome was said to prefer Chicago is that, being a larger metro area, it would be more Japan-friendly (or however you'd say it). I know this is the old axiom of one bad apple... but still ironic.

I think he may have meant "Japan-friendly" more in the access to Japanese food/products/TV then in the friendliness of the people.

Geez, by the end of next week it's going to be 30-40, and by the end of the season it'll be at least a couple hundred.

Well seeing the way throwing garbage caught on at Wrigley - you may be right. Although those won't be the numbers used to tell this story of yesterday, they will be the actual number of balls thrown on the field after the opposing team hits a home run.

It's gonna happen!

Whether it's 1 or 100 balls, it's silly at best, stupid most often, and dangerous at worst, and I hate seeing fans at other parks (ESPECIALLY fans at MP) take up this ridiculous Wrigley tradition.

They haven't been throwing back real balls at wrigley since the mid 80s, it's a stupid tradition that no longer has any real meaning.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

They haven't been throwing back real balls at wrigley since the mid 80s, it's a stupid tradition that no longer has any real meaning.

Among other stupid traditions without any real meaning at Wrigley. The ridiculous abomination that the 7th inning stretch has become comes to mind.

Among other stupid traditions without any real meaning at Wrigley. The ridiculous abomination that the 7th inning stretch has become comes to mind.

Yep. It was great when Harry did it(it was his thing, he did it when he was with the White Sox too), but having jerkwad after jerkwad come and do it every game is lame.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

They should just play a recording of Harry Carray doing it...I mean, we all have our dumb fun traditions (Sausage Race, anyone? Bernie's slide, Roll Out the Barrel?) but the stretch has gotten ridiculous there.

When the booed Ueck last year, grrrr....

When the booed Ueck last year, grrrr....

He's actually done it for about three years. After the first year, he was getting death threats (classy Cub fans). Then, he changed it to "I'll root, root, root for the Brewers, and you do the same for the Cubs."

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think it's been more than 3 years. I've got recordings of Uecker singing it at Wrigley from the early 2000s. He's done it every year, pretty much.

But, yeah, he did, change his lyrics to try to appease Cubs fans.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived