Brewer Fanatic

Cubs fans being Cubs fans; Marty Brennaman chimes in

sargennm

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This certainly qualifies as a non-story.

But that's what happens when you use an online translator (which those guys probably did.)

I used one typing in "It's going to happen" got a Japanese translation then cut and pasted that phrase into the translation box and in English it came back as "It will probably happen." Such is life with translations. The writer of the article is stretching it a bit to call it an insult.

The writer saying that the writer is stretching it to say it's an insult is entirely off his rocker, or at least so says a buddy who was a U.S. consular official in Japan for eight years. "Their (sic) very attuned to American portrayals of Japanese and spend a lot of attention on Japanese players playing in the United States," says the friend, who is an Orioles fan and perhaps speaks better Japanese than English. By the way, how do I get "It's An Accident!" into my endcredit?

By the way, how do I get "It's An Accident!" into my endcredit?

From 1992casey's Usability FAQ:

Yuku allows members to have five signatures. To create a signature or change signature preferences:

1. Click on the Navigation button at upper right of corner of any Yuku page.
  2. Click on the Edit Signature link on the left-hand side of the controls that appear. On the page that loads, you may:
      [li]Edit or delete current signatures by hitting buttons in the Action column.
    • Choose a Default signature by hitting the appropriate radio button in the Default column.
    • Add a signature by hitting the add signature » button underneath the signature list.
    [/li]
  3. Click the "SAVE" button when you're done.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

"Their (sic) very attuned to American portrayals of Japanese and spend a lot of attention on Japanese players playing in the United States," says the friend,

I think that they should know as well as we do that the translations are very rough and often meaningless. Engish.com illustrates the difficulty in translation pretty well. There's a bar near my girlfriend's hometown called "Angel Raper". I think the real point is: if you don't speak the language, don't use it publicly, because most of the time you'll look like a moron.

Those guys over on Northsidebaseball.com sure are a funny bunch. I'm not laughing because of their attitudes after only 4 games, but just at the stuff they say. Good thread to read is the one titled: "If you had to trade a veteran who would it be." I was seriously laughing out loud at some of the posts.

Happy Panty Fun Party

Do not taunt Happy Panty Fun Party...

Crazy long signatures and quoting aside, there are some witty posters there.

Ugh - you said it, Stevo. I do agree with your general point, too. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

"I had a small house of brokerage on Wall Street... many days no business come to my hut...... but Jimmy has fear? A thousand times no! I never doubted myself for a minute, for I knew that my monkey strong bowels were girded with strength like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo...... dung. Glorious sunset of my heart was fading. Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey."

EDIT:

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping the thread to share this (courtesy of The Yost Infection). This shirt is being sold outside Wrigley Field.

I don't understand...do they want to sign Robert Horry? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/6d31514390dba46897230c18f3f5de217b43953.jpg

You won't see me wearing one of those shirts. Definitely in bad taste! It was probably dreamed up by a White Sox fan.

I happen to know fairly well one of the outside shirt vendors who is also a beer vendor inside. If I see him peddling that shirt, I 'll let him know how disrespectful I think it is. (As in I'll never buy another beer from him. Hit him where it really hurts.)

My friends in Chicago tell me they see dudes dressed as samurai in the bleachers at Wrigley all the time these days and once even saw a couple girls dressed as geishas.

This makes me wonder if when Lou Merloni or Kapler went over to Japan there were dudes dressed as cowboys or GI Joe (or rabbis!) in the stands.

SeriesFinale wrote:

This makes me wonder if when Lou Merloni or Kapler went over to Japan there were dudes dressed as cowboys or GI Joe (or rabbis!) in the stands.

Actually, I did see flags that represented the countries of a few South America players on the team. No America stuff though.

And Cubfan,

Good on you!...it is pretty classless to make that shirt. Im all for xenophobic sterotypes and the humor you can have with them...but there is a line people need to be mindful off. ie...dont peddle it to the masses

Archived