Brewer Fanatic

6/10/07 Brewers (Bush) @ Rangers (Padilla): 7:35 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this was my only post of the night:

hmmmm... 6 LOB through 3 innings.

We should definitely keep waiting for that 3 run homer.

thank god i did not watch any more of this game than 3 innings.

and thank god for jenkins. wow, i really just said that.

I just don't get it.

Why the hatred for Ned Yost? We just won an exciting game on the road and I'm all jacked up and I come on here this morning and you'd think we are 10 games below .500 in 4th place.

Why not pitch Spurling in the 7th? He's pitched pretty well of late and Wise had just pitched 2 innings.

Everyone bashes Yost for hitting Graffy and Counsell next to eachother. They go 7 for 12 in the game. But obviously nobody says "what a brilliant move by Yost for having them both in the game." You'll just wait until the next time they go 0-8 and rip Yost for playing them.

People ripped Yost for playing Graffy at first. He saved the game 3 times with (from the sounds of the radio) great plays.

Why not pitch Vargas in the 12th? He's been a very dependable starter all year. Villy had pitched 2 innings and has pitched a lot of late. Plus with a move to the bullpen likely for someone in the future, maybe Ned wanted to see what Vargas did in a "semi-pressure" situation. Remember...while all of you manage for the next 5 seconds. Ned is managing with the next 5 months in mind.

Bottom line is Yost handed the ball to his closer back-to-back nights with a lead in the 9th inning, Cordero came back to reality a little bit. We managed to win one of them anyways. Be HAPPY people. It's a good off day.

Oh yea...and I love how when Turnbow pitches great back-to-back nights you'd think he didn't even play. But if a couple guys get on base, there are 3 pages calling for his demotion to mop-up roll.

Brewer fans really piss me off. (I looked and piss is still allowed for now...so I used it.)

Why not pitch Spurling in the 7th? He's pitched pretty well of late

5 earned runs over his last 4 2/3 IP and 4 appearances. He has a 1.68 WHIP this year as well. Frankly, he's not the kind of reliever that should be called on with runners already on.

Quote:
Everyone bashes Yost for hitting Graffy and Counsell next to eachother.

Look. It worked this time, but in the world of striped bass fishing this is just poor execution. Yeah every once in a while you throw a worm out there blindly somethings going to bite.

I'm usually pretty hard on Yost, but other than that move to bring in Spurling, I thought he managed well the entire series.

He saw what I saw after the Friday game, a need to get the veterans in there to steady this team and save for that unreal 9th inning Saturday, they did just that. So to me, Counsel and Graffanino earned some of those rather large salaries.

I had no problem bringing in Vargas there either. Why burn up Villanueva when he'll be needed in the Detroit series? Regarding Vargas or Capellan? Well Vargas has been in Brewer rotation. Capellan was in Nashville rotation.

Quote:
Why burn up Villanueva when he'll be needed in the Detroit series?

Villanueva was only at 24 pitches and we have a day off today. I didn't really like the Vargas move but it worked out so I won't complain.

"Oh yea...and I love how when Turnbow pitches great back-to-back nights you'd think he didn't even play. But if a couple guys get on base, there are 3 pages calling for his demotion to mop-up roll."

I didn't post anywhere else in this thread (when I saw that Cordero had blown another save, I just had to laugh, and go to bed. Pleasant news this AM.) But I will respond to this.

My thoughts on Turnbow are about as black and white as they can be for any player. I've expressed them in this forum before. When he's got command of both his pitches, he's probably our second best reliever. When he can't command the fastball, and/or is unwilling to throw the breaking ball, he's probably our worst reliever.

We seem to have reason to believe that his command suffers with overuse, so hopefully Ned is done trotting him out three consecutive days, like he did prior to a recent bad outing.

But the larger point about Turnbow is that it's evident to you, me, Ned Yost, and the peanut vendor after DT has thrown three pitches whether "good" Turnbow or "bad" Turnbow is pitching. I think he's somewhat of an enigma in this regard. Trying to let him 'pitch through a rough spot' works about as well as pouring gas on a fire.

I see no reason to yank Turnbow from the set-up role, at least at this point. However, he is who he is. If Yost doesn't have a quick hook when "bad" Turnbow takes the hill, we deserve to lose. Which is fitting, since we're going to.

Anyway, Mike's rant aside, nice win here for the Crew, good to see them pick up CoCo after he has carried them all year.

Quote:
I see no reason to yank Turnbow from the set-up role, at least at this point. However, he is who he is. If Yost doesn't have a quick hook when "bad" Turnbow takes the hill, we deserve to lose. Which is fitting, since we're going to.

See I guess I just disagree. I feel the only time he's been "BAD" this year was the first Phillies game. I feel like every other outing he's given up runs in, he's pitched pretty well. Sometimes a reliever pitches well and still gives up runs. I thought he pitched well against the Cubs earlier in the week.

Archived