Brewer Fanatic

Is Yost using the pen properly?

uwisfan
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe I misinterpreted, too. I thought credit was being given to Yost for his decision to pull CV "early". Not that I'm against giving Yost credit for things, but certainly not for pulling a young pitcher after 104 pitches.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I love the three inning save. It doesn't burn out the pen, gives the guy a save for yeoman's work, and creates stability. Now I's wished it was McClung again rather than Torres but I'm willing to give Yost a thumbs up this time.

I figured this would happen. If Yost got better as a manager it would be all because of Simmons and if he didn't it would be because he didn't listen to Simmons.

Zman credited experience, not Simba.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

by "leaving early" I meant he could only go 5 1/3...I said I was retracting my jumping the gun on Yost, meaning I liked his moves. CV was putting out a ton of pitches, and yet they only used 3 arms today, with no designated "long man" yet.

"I am quite certain that if you had 3 Derrick Turnbow 2007 clones working in the BP, 7th 8th and 9th -- that ERA would be over 5"

I'm pretty sure it would be 4.63 since that was Turnbow's ERA last year... so if you had 3 clones of him from last year, all of them would have a 4.63 ERA, which when averaged would be again 4.63.

Only four games in, I know, but he seems to have handled the pen very well so far this year. Now part of that may be do to the solid number of options he has available to him, but still, Nedly's done positive work in this area of the game. I thought it was really great yesterday to only use 3 pitchers in a game we had clearly won.

Today, we pretty much have everyone available (except for Torres) if the game is close. Riske, Mota, Gagne and Turnbow all could pitch late innings today if needed. That's really nice.

"I am quite certain that if you had 3 Derrick Turnbow 2007 clones working in the BP, 7th 8th and 9th -- that ERA would be over 5"

I'm pretty sure it would be 4.63 since that was Turnbow's ERA last year... so if you had 3 clones of him from last year, all of them would have a 4.63 ERA, which when averaged would be again 4.63.

I'm pretty sure it would be higher than 4.63 since a better RP(Cordero) came in and saved runs from scoring on Turnbow multiple times.

I'm pretty sure it would be higher than 4.63 since a better RP(Cordero) came in and saved runs from scoring on Turnbow multiple times.

Exactly -- Turnbow got bailed out by Cordero, Villy and Parra last year. Turnbow let 12 of 14 inherited runners score last year -- Turnbow relieving Turnbow would be ugly...

bad innings are much more likely vs. philadelphia than they are san francisco.

That has nothing to do with the independence of events -- Philly v. SF would be averaged out in the "Runs per appearance".

I thought Yost could have put Turnbow in to do some mopping up in yesterday's game but how can you take Sheets out in front of 44,000 fans going for a complete game shut out? Plus, he was on 5 days rest so he had a little more in the tank. I love games when the bullpen gets the day off.

i think he has finally learned from his mistakes and is trying not to overwork the pen. He has the benefit of atleast in the first week starters going somewhat deep in the game and he no longer has pitchers like wise who can't pitch on consecutive days. My only concern, and its something i can't prove is going to happen, but he is really extending some of the pitches in order to keep the rest of the pen unworked, I can't help but think it still may catch up on riske and torres.

Archived