Brewer Fanatic

4/3/08 Brewers (Bush) at Cubs (Dempster): 1:20 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't win 'em all. I would've liked to see Rickie up, too.

I'll take 2 of 3 in Chicago with Z pitching one of the games.

I like our odds of taking at least 2 of 3 against the Giants, who HAVE TO be one of the worst teams in the league. It'll be good to play (I'm assuming) under the roof. The conditions in late March in Chicago are brutal. I'm surprised TGJ was the only guy to get pulled (though I know Braun tweaked his groin).

Let's see if the nicer conditions at Miller Park wake up the bats a bit...Prince and Braunie are due.

I'm back guys!

Anyway...Turnbow was awful. It will look good for you statheads, but I hope you see why Yost is hiding him in the pen now.

He was far from terrible. In fact, he pitched pretty decently.

Pie: 0-2 fastball inside that would not have hit him had Pie not moved his hands over the plate in preparation to swing. The pitch was not far inside and was basically a fluke HBP.

Stolen Base: Kendall's fault. Couldn't get the ball out of his mitt and still could have gotten the guy on a good throw.

Ward: None of the pitches were bad. All of the balls were pretty close. Plus, first base was open to set up the DP. No need to take big risks here.

He got the next three guys out.

Funny thing about Bush's outing today was it was not his typical bad game. When he pitches poorly, he gets knocked around. This game, he walked a lot of guys, which he never does. Hopefully he was just off today.

Of course, not being able to hit Dempster doesn't help matters. Oh, well - winning the series was great.

I had a problem with Ned starting Bush today -- he should have started Villanueva. When was the last time Dave Bush had a good start at Wrigley?

He had 1 start there last year.

The start before that (in 2006) he gave up 1 run in 7 innings. So...

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Bush is generally bad on the road though so it did surprise me he chose Bush. I'm still fine with it, I mean if Bush can't pitch on the road maybe he shouldn't be in the rotation. Ervin Santana had the same issue and he pitched a good game today @Min.

Ennder:

You're right. Bush has been bad on the road since he's been in Milwaukee. Think back to mid-June when Bush was on the threshold of losing his job, right before he won at the Metrodome. I think we would have fared better w/ CV today, Bush Friday.

Well after cooling off for a little bit I guess we still won a big opening series on the road against our biggest rival. Some positives: TGJ, Weeks, Kendall, Sheets, Suppan, Bullpen (minus Gagne). Some negatives: Lack of pop (probably just Wrigley weather), Gagne, Bush, Yost still waiting too long to pull starters, Fielder and Braun just okay. All in all solid opening series and now we need to go beat on the Geriatric Giants. Should be a fun season.

I love this team and can see great things.

I have a couple major problems-Turnbow and Hall. These two guys can fit in with reduced roles, but not key team roles. I think that Turnbow can be a 7th inning guy and Hall can bat 7th in the lineup. Hall is just overrated by Brewers and Turnbow just loved by Yost. Don't bat Hall 5th and don't pitch Turnbow in the 8th every other day.

Bush may be out of the rotation in a bit but I will stand up for him a bit here. He wasn't as sharp as you would like and walked a bunch of guys. But if Braun and Hall make those plays he may have saved two runs and his outing would look much better. Just sayin'.

Bush may be out of the rotation in a bit but I will stand up for him a bit here. He wasn't as sharp as you would like and walked a bunch of guys. But if Braun and Hall make those plays he may have saved two runs and his outing would look much better. Just sayin'.

Or just Braun...Hall got a hideous hop.

It was a really weird game for Bush. He didn't get knocked around like he usually does on his bad days. He was giving it away. Even the HR by Ramirez was a pitch way down and in. I mean, it goes both ways - the wind probably held in 1 or 2 HRs for Chicago, but either way Bush was wild and Ned probably could've shortened the leash a bit.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"Sweeping the Cubs today seemed realistic until just recently."

Based on what? Did they have killer instinct the first two games and then lose it today?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I still don't see what Turnbow did that was so bad. He hit a guy on a pitch that wasn't even far inside and walked a solid hitter with first base open, while still throwing some decent pitches.

Archived