Brewer Fanatic

Marquette basketball coaching search

slack00
I don't see why Marquette would hire Knight. They don't seem to need a guy with a squeaky-clean sanctions rep, and other than that, there's no real reason to hire him. No one will come play for that huge of a $*+@%%@!!, and his success is far in the past anyway. He's made the Sweet 16 once in the last 14 years. If alumni and fans were upset about Crean not having tourney success, why would they be more forgiving of one of the least likable sports figures of the past 50 years?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As a very upset alum, I've been holding off on comment to avoid the cuss filter, but I can't take it anymore after his pompous interview on Mike and Mike this morning. Good ridins to that jag. I am excited to see where the program goes from here. They have a ton of money, great practice facilities, and no real competition in a major city for late winter fans (Bucks don't count anymore).

I don't see why Marquette would hire Knight. They don't seem to need a guy with a squeaky-clean sanctions rep, and other than that, there's no real reason to hire him. No one will come play for that huge of a $*+@%%@!!, and his success is far in the past anyway. He's made the Sweet 16 once in the last 14 years. If alumni and fans were upset about Crean not having tourney success, why would they be more forgiving of one of the least likable sports figures of the past 50 years?

I think you underestimate Knight's appeal.

I would care about Marquette basketball if they hired Knight...if ever so slight.

Indiana is probably one of the best jobs in the country, with their tradition, conference, and basketball hotbed. It's also perfect because they are currently "down", or what passes for down in Hoosier country. Any coach would have taken it for that money.

I think you underestimate Knight's appeal.

Marquette hiring Knight would certainly bring the university tons of media attention along with national TV exposure early on at least. I'm sure he's still able to coach well also, the biggest question i'd wonder about is how well he'd be able to recruit. Marquette would be an easier sell to recruits than Texas Tech was, but his reputation is one that a good percentage of top recruits today may not find appealing.

I really wouldn't know whether to think Knight would win a lot here if Marquette hired him, but it sure would be a pretty damn interesting hire to watch and follow.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Knight would be an odd choice. He'd give the school tons of exposure but you gotta figure he's only going to be around for two or three years tops and can you really expect championship caliber teams in that time? He's been to one Sweet Sixteen the last 13 or so seasons and hasn't been to a Final Four since 1992. If I were Marquette I'd focus elsewhere unless all they care about is publicity.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I would care about Marquette basketball if they hired Knight...if ever so slight.

If you don't care at all about Marquette basketball, why are you trying to tell people who do what they should want?

Another name that's been bandied about:

Lon Kruger as a distant third choice.

From what I understand, he's favored by non-alumni donors, whereas the others I've mentioned are favored by alumni donors.

From what I've heard, those are the names that are being discussed thus far. There may be others but I'm not - of yet - aware of them. I guess we'll see where this heads. I know the trustees will be meeting... I'm guessing they may have a decision and are finalizing an offer.

As stated, Knight would bring oodles of publicity, if only for a year or two. He'd make a lot of alums and fans suddenly care a lot.

A lot of alums and fans already care a lot, Marquette is top 20 nationally in attendance.

I'd love Bob Knight, I don't think it will happen but I don't think much bad can come of it. Being such a high profile guy I think the current players and recruits would reconsider if they became shaky about their commitment if they were to get him. He'd have Marquette the talk of college basketball and really excite the town. But like I said, probably not going to happen. Cool to think about though.

Knight would be an odd choice. He'd give the school tons of exposure but you gotta figure he's only going to be around for two or three years tops and can you really expect championship caliber teams in that time? He's been to one Sweet Sixteen the last 13 or so seasons and hasn't been to a Final Four since 1992. If I were Marquette I'd focus elsewhere unless all they care about is publicity.

I agree 100% -- If Marquette hired Knight this Saturday -- it would probably get more attention than the actual games being played. That said, I don't think Knight helps Marq. get to the next level, i.e. Sweet Sixteen appearances. Ironically I think the perfect sort of job for Knight is a program like Indiana -- i.e. A storied program, that is currently circling the toilet. That is to say, I think Knight takes a program out of the toilet and makes them an instant 20 win program -- but I don't think Knight takes a 20 win program and gets them into annual sweet sixteen appearances.

I've thought about Larry Krystowiak perhaps. If he gets canned by the Bucks, it's primarily due to a meddling owner and an incompetent GM. He turned around Montana's program and has a strong reputation in recruiting and coaching. He'd have college program building experience, along with pro-coaching/playing experience.

problem is montana is in the big sky conference not the big east. there is a big difference. I'd rather have someone who is a coach that had success is a conference closer to the level of the big east. also despite a meddling owner and gm w/ questionable judgment, he hasn't shown me he is an even close to a competent head coach.

As it becomes apparent that Marquette won't hire Shawn Williams or Anthony Grant, I think I'm pulling for Buzz Williams. A bonus would be that maybe some of those recruits who requested a release would change their minds.

It's not like the current players don't like him too. And I wasn't saying the main reason for hiring Williams was so the recruits stick around; I said it was an added bonus.

I'm not too sure I'd like Bob Knight coaching Marquette. Wouldn't make much sense to hire a guy who will only be here one or two years.

Eh, Buzz Williams isn't going to excite or satisfy anyone. At least not me. They can do alot better than that. He might be able to keep one or two recruits but they're not going to make the program so whatever.

And I doubt that rumor about Bob Knight being in town was true as he's in San Antonio right now. Still would be awesome but not going to happen.

I think that Marquette is worried that if they don't hire Buzz Williams then James and McNeal would leave and the good incoming freshman class would choose to go elsewhere. My feeling is that those things will happen regardless, and that Buzz isn't ready for Marquette yet.

I'll be honest - if MU hires Buzz Williams you can count me out from donating back to MU anytime soon. I know a lot of the large donating alumni feel likewise.

Hiring Buzz Williams is tantamount to waving the white flag and sacrificing your alumni over the whims of a couple of 18 year olds.

Archived