Brewer Fanatic

Marquette basketball coaching search

slack00

I can't understand why Calipari would even consider MU. If he can build Memphis into a Final 4 club what does MU offer. If anything, he'll wait for the next top 10 job to open, UCLA, UNC, etc. It's a lateral move for him unless MU dumps an obscene amount of cash at him, which probably won't happen.

The job is surely better than when Crean took it, so I could see Bennett, Miller or a similar young coach seeing this as a stepping stone job. It clearly worked for Crean.

The big surprise to me was how small the buyout was for Crean. $500k for a guy who had a $1.6 million a year contract for the next nine years doesn't quite seem fair to MU. They commit over 14 million to the coach regardless of how he performs, and he can walk away for 3%. MU accepts a lot of risk giving him a multi year contract, but the penalty isn't great enough to buy any loyalty. It would be very interesting to know if he had certain schools that allowed for a smaller buyout, i.e. IU, MSU, UNC, etc.

To sum up, I say hire Don Morton and let him run the veer.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Marquette made Crean one of the top paid coaches in the country and they have great facilities and fan support. They should be able to get someone pretty good, at least I hope.

I hope they stay far away from guys like O'Neil (I can't see them having any interest in him after he screwed them back in the day), Knight and Majerus. Get a young guy who can be there for awhile or a top guy like Calipari. He may be a scumbag but he is a great recruiter. i'd love to see some 5-star recruits coming to the state.

Other than a guy like him, I would prefer Tony Bennett.

Also, if Pat Summitt would come to Marquette (which she wouldn't), she would be a great hire. Recruiting may be a little difficult at first, but she can really coach and has the respect of everybody else in basketball.

thats the problem is it is still a steeping stone for any young coach. Anytime UNC, MSU, Duke, Florida, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona have an opening and he is successful coach, he will get a look and it would be hard not to go. Marquette doesnt have a recruitng base. Milwaukee doesnt produce enough talent to support a top top-tier program alone and those that are from Milwaukee dont feel any loyalty to stay (Jerry Smith, Korie Lucious). Bo Ryan is going to still get a majority of the instate recruits. Tubby Smith makes Minnesota a presence again in their state. Chicago will produce alot of talent, but alot of teams feed from there. Unless they go after borderline academic kids that top programs stay away from, they arnt going to land top recruits, and I cant see Marquette doing that. Memphis is different from Marquette. Average ACT: Marquette 24-29, Memphis 19-25.

I do know they are focused on a single person right now. If they are rejected by that person today/tomorrow, they will expand the search to the next level of candidates.

I have heard this as well. The name I heard was mentioned earlier in this thread. I know, not much help...

I have heard this as well. The name I heard was mentioned earlier in this thread. I know, not much help...

I knew I shouldn't have put so many names in the first post! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Bruce Weber would make a lot of sense.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Ugh Tony Bennett is a good coach but I don't see him fitting well in the Big East (and I don't want to watch any of the games with him coaching). Also, I would be happy for Wisconsin because a lot of good players from the Milwaukee area would pass on playing in that offense to play for Bo.

Did you watch the Badgers play this year? Actually Washington State has a lot more movement in their offense than the Badgers did this year. I don't know why any kid would want to run the swing, where so much of the time players stand and watch while the ball moves slowly. Their averages weren't much different either. Tony is a hot name for a lot of jobs. I had heard that when he left Madison that he wasn't on good terms with Bo. He may relish an opportunity to compete with Bo over state supremacy.

Marquette may be able to land a big name coach because they had paid Crean a lot of money. A high-priced basketball coach is already in the budget.

If Marquette offered Sean Miller the job, it would be interesting to see what he chose to do. He's had good success, but moving into the Big East you would think has to be appealing.

This is such a critical hire for Marquette. Crean has greatly helped elevating the program to from it was when he took over to where it is now, but he also hasn't really had any success in the tourney since Wade left. Make the right hire and hopefully the new coach can raise the level of success even higher, but bring in the wrong guy and in a tough conference like the Big East, Marquette could quickly sink to the lower levels of the conference.

Cords annoyed me with his handling of the Warriors name, but i do kinda wish he was in place to make this choice.

I say this with complete honesty. What about Larry Krystoyack(spelling). He was a heck of a coach at Montana and I would imagine wants to get back to the college game. To me he might be a fantastic hire.

Just to throw another name out for consideration: there's a certain, recently-fired coach who spent the last 12 years with a Pac-10 school, and also has Wisconsin ties.

Granted, Ben Braun's program at Cal has had a few down seasons, and his Wisconsin ties are from his playing days with the Badgers....but I have to believe he'll at least be interviewed for the position.

Sean Miller can have just as much success at Xavier as he can at Marquette. It would be a lateral move, he would make the same amount of money but be in a "bigger" conference. With that said, he can get the same kids to Xavier(actually has a better 08' class then Marquette has/had) and have an easier time in conference play.

Sean Miller can have just as much success at Xavier as he can at Marquette. It would be a lateral move, he would make the same amount of money but be in a "bigger" conference. With that said, he can get the same kids to Xavier(actually has a better 08' class then Marquette has/had) and have an easier time in conference play.

It is possible to have the same kind of success in the A-10 as it would be in one of the "power conferences," but it is generally easier to recruit players to a Big East school than the A-10, especially with the amount of national media coverage Big East schools receive.

It is certainly possible for a big name coach to have success in a smaller conference (e.g. Memphis....although C-USA was more of a basketball power when a lot of those kids were recruited), but a larger conference will provide some additional leeway. To make the tournament, A Big East school only needs to place in the top 5-7 teams in their division; right now, I'm guessing only 2-3 A-10 schools get in each year.

Xavier would be a top tier program in alot of the bigger conferences. The A10 is a better conference then CUSA. Like i said, if you can get paid the same, get just as good of players and have an easier conference, other then pride why would you leave.

On JSOnline, Todd Rosiak came up with a list of possible candidates for the Marquette coaching job. However, it seems like more a list of names he has come up with rather than a list from inside sources. For the posters with inside information, is the person Marquette is talking to right now as the lead candidate on this list.

Here are some of the possible candidates to replace Tom Crean:

>> Sean Miller, Xavier (93-39 career record)

Makeup and background make him a perfect fit, but reportedly has a $2 million buyout.

>> Tony Bennett, Washington State (52-17)

State ties and tremendous success in two seasons at Wazzu make him a popular choice.

>> Anthony Grant, Virginia Commonwealth (52-14)

Another hot prospect who cut his coaching teeth under Billy Donovan at Florida.

>> Bob McKillop, Davidson (338-224)

Possesses East Coast roots and fell just three points short of advancing to the Final Four.

>> Brad Brownell, Wright State (127-60)

Fast-riser who has guided Raiders to a 44-20 mark in past two seasons.

>> Chris Lowery, Southern Illinois (96-41)

Energetic, defensive-minded coach who could finally be ready to make the big jump.

>> Buzz Williams,

MU assistant (14-17 in one year at New Orleans)

Under-the-radar candidate whose ties to incoming recruits could prove crucial.

Todd Rosiak

Also, someone from one of the Marquette forums posted an article from a Dayton newspaper which names Brad Brownell as someone on Marquette's short list.

"A source close to the Marquette University basketball program has said Wright State's Brad Brownell is on the short list of Golden Eagles athletics director Steve Cottingham as a replacement for departed coach Tom Crean..."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/throughthearch/entries/2008/04/02/brownell_marquette_frontrunner.html

I'll reveal the two names that I've had confirmed to me as being in town:

Sean Miller - stayed at the Pfister

and had lunch with...

The chair-throwing Bobby Knight at the Milwaukee Athletic Club

Yes - the Bobby Knight.

I'll reveal the two names that I've had confirmed to me as being in town:

Sean Miller - stayed at the Pfister

and had lunch with...

The chair-throwing Bobby Knight at the Milwaukee Athletic Club

Yes - the Bobby Knight.

Haha, would that be crazy or what if MU hired Knight after Indiana hired Crean. The only shame in that would be the teams aren't in the same conference and wouldn't have play twice a year.

Archived