Brewer Fanatic

Marquette basketball coaching search

slack00

I think this deserves it's own thread, and I don't want it to get buried in an Indiana thread. Here are names I've seen rumored as possible replacements. I'll list a bunch of names I've seen come up (in alphabetical order), and we can debate their qualifications from there.

Tony Bennett (Washington State)

Brad Brownwell (Wright State)

John Calipari (Memphis)

Mark Few (Gonzaga)

Travis Ford (Massachusetts)

Anthony Grant (Virginia Commonwealth)

Jim Larranaga (George Mason)

Rick Majerus (St. Louis)

Sean Miller (Xavier)

Tubby Smith (Minnesota)

Bruce Weber (Illinois)

Buzz Williams (Marquette assistant)

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How pleased I personally would be if each of these were hired:

Tony Bennett (Washington State) - Very Excited

Brad Brownwell (Wright State) - Mildly Pleased

John Calipari (Memphis) - Mildly Pleased

Mark Few (Gonzaga) - Mildly Pleased

Travis Ford (Massachusetts) - Very Excited

Anthony Grant (Virginia Commonwealth) - Very Excited

Jim Larranaga (George Mason) - Disappointed

Rick Majerus (St. Louis) - Disappointed

Sean Miller (Xavier) - Very Excited

Tubby Smith (Minnesota) - Disappointed

Bruce Weber (Illinois) - Disappointed

Buzz Williams (Marquette assistant) - Very Excited

Ugh Tony Bennett is a good coach but I don't see him fitting well in the Big East (and I don't want to watch any of the games with him coaching). Also, I would be happy for Wisconsin because a lot of good players from the Milwaukee area would pass on playing in that offense to play for Bo.

I guess the way I look at it is would each coach see the Marquette job as a significant upgrade regardless of their real interest or Marquette's real interest?

Tony Bennett (Washington State) -- Yes

Brad Brownwell (Wright State) -- Yes

John Calipari (Memphis) -- No way

Mark Few (Gonzaga) -- No way, not that Gonzaga is a storied program, but Few has been contacted several times over the past few years.

Travis Ford (Massachusetts) -- Yes

Anthony Grant (Virginia Commonwealth) -- Yes

Jim Larranaga (George Mason) -- Yes

Rick Majerus (St. Louis) -- Yes

Sean Miller (Xavier) -- I'm not sure on this one. He's put Xavier on the map for a few years now.

Tubby Smith (Minnesota) -- No -- I could go either way on this one.

Bruce Weber (Illinois) -- No

Buzz Williams (Marquette assistant) -- Yes

Mark Few (Gonzaga)

I'd be shocked if he leaves 'Zaga for the Marquette job. Not really a knock on MU, but at this point Few would probably be first in line for the Arizona job (just my guess), along with just about anything else that opens up on the West Coast.

From those original rumors, Majerus has to have a pretty decent shot, but as has been mentioned, MU will not be short of quality choices. A Big East coaching job at one of the more competitive programs in that conference doesn't come along all that often.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I would love for Bennett to come to the state, but I really don't see how he'd fit in with the style of the program/conference. It'd be very interesting to see him try to implement it with James/McNeal/Hayward/etc. wanting to run, though.

Sean Miller (Xavier) -- I'm not sure on this one. He's put Xavier on the map for a few years now.

To be fair, Thad Matta had Xavier in the Elite 8 before Miller got there, so I wouldn't credit Miller for putting them on the map. Xavier almost seems to be a stepping stone for coaches who want to go to a better program and conferece, ie Skip Prosser, Xavier to Wake Forest, Thad Matta went from there to Ohio State. I think Marquette would be a step up for Miller, since he'd be going to the Big East. I think it'd be great if we got him.

I wouldn't want Bruce Weber. People are starting to see how his teams do when he doesn't have Bill Selfs recruits. Sure he's probably a good "in game coach" but not a good recruiter.

To be fair, Thad Matta had Xavier in the Elite 8 before Miller got there, so I wouldn't credit Miller for putting them on the map. Xavier almost seems to be a stepping stone for coaches who want to go to a better program and conferece, ie Skip Prosser, Xavier to Wake Forest, Thad Matta went from there to Ohio State. I think Marquette would be a step up for Miller, since he'd be going to the Big East. I think it'd be great if we got him.

That is true. Xavier has been getting further than Marquette in the tourney though as of late and I wonder if that has helped their recruiting at all. The Big East is a step up from the A-10 -- I guess it would boil down to Xavier's class for next year.

I dont think Majarus could come here after saying some of the things he has at St Louis unfortunatly = cause id love him here.

Doc rivers would be interesting but he is sitting pretty now - unless the Celts are one and out in the playoffs.

Tony Bennett would be a big score but I dont think a Madison grad can have anything to do with Marquette unless its bashing. Its just an unwritten law which I will never understand.

Kevin O'neil is available. What about Bobby knight? Is he really retired or did he just want his son to get that job?

Ugh Tony Bennett is a good coach but I don't see him fitting well in the Big East (and I don't want to watch any of the games with him coaching). Also, I would be happy for Wisconsin because a lot of good players from the Milwaukee area would pass on playing in that offense to play for Bo.

I think you are being unfair to Tony Bennett. He sint the same coach Dick is. Washington State did average over 66 points in both of his first two seasons. He certainly isnt an up tempo coaching style, but it is alittle better than Dick. It seems to work just fine for Geogetown in the Big East.

Tony Bennett would be a big score but I dont think a Madison grad can have anything to do with Marquette unless its bashing. Its just an unwritten law which I will never understand.

Tony graduated from UWGB.

I wouldn't want Bruce Weber. People are starting to see how his teams do when he doesn't have Bill Selfs recruits. Sure he's probably a good "in game coach" but not a good recruiter.

Not exactly true. Its taken him awhile to get his footing in Illinois losing Scheyer, Frasor, Turner, Gordon, Rose, etc., but he top 10 classes lined up for 2009 and 2010, which is the reason why isn't going anywhere, also the reason they aren't calling for his head.

I agree Todd Lickliter would be awesome, I guess I don't see him leaving Iowa after one year though.

Xavier has been better than Marquette the last few years, but three of their best players (Duncan, Burrell, and Lavender) are seniors which would lead me to believe that Matta recrutied them, but I could be wrong.

but he top 10 classes lined up for 2009 and 2010, which is the reason why isn't going anywhere, also the reason they aren't calling for his head.

How many of them have signed though? If they had Gordon this year their class would be 10x better. For all we know, one his star recruits will change his mind in the next year or two, so it might be a little early to tell.

I think you are being unfair to Tony Bennett. He sint the same coach Dick is. Washington State did average over 66 points in both of his first two seasons. He certainly isnt an up tempo coaching style, but it is alittle better than Dick. It seems to work just fine for Geogetown in the Big East.

I was watching Wash St and UNC play and my friend turned to me and said that "Wash St makes Bucky look like the Harlem Globetrotters"

My first choice would be Buzz Williams. He'd be able to keep most of the players and incoming recruits around, and he's a very good recruiter.

I'll be very disappointed if the search committee doesn't make an effort to contact Travis Ford or Anthony Grant. Both are young coaching prospects on their way up. Ford was mentioned as a possibility for Kentucky last year, and Grant as a possible replacement for Donovan at Florida when it looked like he was going to Kentucky. I'd be absolutely thrilled with either one of those two.

Lon Krueger would be another one I'd be ok with.

I am a Madison graduate, I do not bash Marquette, I hope they do well every year.

Now, if you had your facts straight you could say something like "I don't think a UWGB grad can have anything to do with Marquette, unless it is bashing".

Marquette made Crean one of the top paid coaches in the country and they have great facilities and fan support. They should be able to get someone pretty good, at least I hope.

I hope they stay far away from guys like O'Neil (I can't see them having any interest in him after he screwed them back in the day), Knight and Majerus. Get a young guy who can be there for awhile or a top guy like Calipari. He may be a scumbag but he is a great recruiter. i'd love to see some 5-star recruits coming to the state.

Other than a guy like him, I would prefer Tony Bennett.

Also, if Pat Summitt would come to Marquette (which she wouldn't), she would be a great hire. Recruiting may be a little difficult at first, but she can really coach and has the respect of everybody else in basketball.

Archived