Brewer Fanatic

Indiana basketball continues to implode (Latest: Tom Crean to Indiana, per ESPN)

splitterpfj
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's possible they reach agreement with the next coach as early as today. They have someone very specific in mind. If they can't get this guy, they will expand their search. But they are working on it today.

I've heard a rumor that IU did not ask MU for permission to talk to Crean. If true, given IU's already-long list of recent violations, you can count on them losing yet another scholarship.

I wonder how much fun Crean will have with, oh, 8 scholarships per year for the next few seasons...

Isn't interesting that when Indiana wanted Crean two years ago, but wouldn't match his salary at Marquette, that Crean stayed at Marquette. Now when Indiana beats his salary at Marquette, Indiana has become the best job in the nation.

I think it's a big sham that coaches can bail on a program whenever they please, but if a player wants to transfer, he has to sit out a season.

The NCAA has a couple of problems with the 'big money' sports. The biggest one is the disadvantage the kids have when 'their' coach leaves. They need to pass a rule that allows for the kids to be able to play right away if their coach decides to bail on them. I know it would never pass because then you would have alot of players transfering ever year and then accusations of 'under the table recruiting' would probably happen. It's muddy waters for sure. I wish Tom the best of luck in his new job. I understand why he took it too. One was definitely the money. He's a midwest guy and was a long time Big Ten assistant. I personally think Tom will do well at IU and be lauded for his accomplishments. Although I personally hope Bo kicks his butt every year. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif I realized when Crean's name first came up a couple years ago that one day there would be a job he couldn't pass up. Didn't think it would be IU, but hey do we ever really see the blindsides coming? It's apparent that Crean didn't want Marquette to know he might leave. Seems convenient that all the higher ups at MU were out of town when this happened. Guess he really wanted to leave and didn't want to give Marquette a chance to give him a reason to stay. Oh well, life moves on. It's only college basketball, right?

I can understand and respect Crean's decision to leave, but the way he handled it stinks. So he goes and calls Travis Deiner to tell him the news, but he lets his current players and coaches find out from the media. Just lets everyone get blindsided. What a jerk.

Also, it appears the Mbakwe was planning on transfering due to family issues, even before the Crean situation.

• 2 months later...
Anybody know what is up with all the recruits and players leaving Indiana? Another one reported this morning on SportsCenter, making the total number to 12. Is Tom Crean not all he was cracked up to be? Did the former coach, now a Bucks assistant, promise these players so many illegal things that now they wont play for Crean because the program is on the straight and narrow? Is it a race issue? Anybody with some knowledge about college basketball and how recruiting works, feel free to enlighten me.

Did the former coach, now a Bucks assistant, promise these players so many illegal things that now they wont play for Crean because the program is on the straight and narrow?

I suspect more than anything, the players are nervous about the state of the program, and probably want to avoid for playing in the turmoil.

Archived