Brewer Fanatic

Indiana basketball continues to implode (Latest: Tom Crean to Indiana, per ESPN)

splitterpfj
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't there a LENGTHY thread a year or so ago here debating Indiana vs. Marquette in basketball program status, or am I remembering wrong?

Indiana is still a storied franchise, despite being a mess right now. If Crean can get the ship turned around, he'll be a legend there.

I know he was brought up in the Kentucky rumors last year after Tubby was gone, maybe that's what you're thinking of? There's also usually some talk of him maybe taking over MSU after Izzo leaves, whenever that will be.

it will be announced tomorrow..How is don doing?

If Crean takes this, he's a total moron. IU is not at all a reputable franchise anymore, not with all of the recent "issues" they've had.

This may be a purely ego-related thing for Crean. "Ooh! I've been successful turning around a franchise before! Let's do it again! I'll be a hero in IU!"

Lame, if you ask me.

I'll be fine. Especially if they get Bennett to come to MU. Turns down the IU job and gets the job the new IU coach vacated.

Anthony Grant would seem like a good hire. I also think Buzz Williams might be a good hire. He is considered to be an excellent recruiter and he has played a key role of some of the current Marquette recruits for next season. Here is a bio of him from when he was hired by Marquette last July.

http://marquette.scout.com/2/658075.html

Someone also wrote on the Marquette forum that Andy Katz mentioned on ESPN radio that Marquette is going after Mike Anderson of Missouri and Denver Nuggets assistant coach John Welch to replace Crean. Who knows if there is any truth to that rumor.

Edit: Yes, Darren Horn just signed on as the coach for South Carolina.

I'd love for Marquette to go after VCU 's head coach Anthony Grant.

I like that idea, although I think they'd be able to get someone more high-profile if they wanted to.

Brett, I believe Horn just took the South Carolina job.

Being a Purdue grad, I now must loathe Crean with the heat of a million suns. Not too hard, I really didn't really like him that much; kinda rubbed me the wrong way.

Eh, Marquette is better off without him.

Maybe he just felt that he took Marquette as far as he could and it was time to move on. He'll always have the stigma that he couldn't win without Dwyane Wade. And 9 years is a long time for coaching. Only 2 coaches were at MU longer.

People calling Crean a sellout and saying that Indiana isnt a "reputable" job anymore are crazy. Marquette is a middle of the road job in a big time conference. It is no different than something like Ohio State, Tennessee, Cal, or Clemson. On the other hand, Indiana is one of the most storied college basketball programs in the country. The talent pool in Indiana is much deeper than in Wisconsin. Crean can still easily recruit Chicago kids and the top of the Big Ten, while competative, isnt nearly as deep as the top of the Big East, year in, year out. At the end of the day, Indiana > Marquette. I am surprised Crean left Marquette, but I am not surprised that he left for a job like Indiana.

IU is one of the huge programs in the country even with all of the problems, Crean will be a superstar if he succeeds there.

Whatever you think about Crean, or MU, his team was playing second fiddle to Wisconsin in this state. Now he goes to a place where the whole state and country will have their eyes on him.

Tom Crean is such a sellout. He had it made at MU and had great facilities besides the BC but still had a good life here i just dont understand. Sean Miller from Xaiver is another name being thrown around

I mean this in the least 'prick' way possible - that's so unfair. Tom Crean did a great job at MU, and earned his way to one of the most big-time college hoops jobs in the country. Marquette made a great hire & was lucky to have him - we should be proud as Wisconsinites for him, imo.

Well done Tom! And, geez! - could the Big Ten get any deeper in terms of coaches?! Wow. Btw, I love that there'll still be a Crean-Ryan competition/rivalry, if only to us fans.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Crean was paid excellently by Marquette and they have a good team in a good conference. They should be able to get a good coach, I would think.
Marquette should be a pretty damn attractive job compared to years past.

They play in a great conference, play in a nice arena, have a fabulous practice facility, and if McNeal stays, there is good talent on hand to win right away.

There likely won't be that many more attractive job openings than this the next few years.

Being an MU fan, Crean leaving makes me both a bit nervous and excited. He did help restore Marquette to a much loftier status than when he was hired and it's possible the next guy hired could do a fairly poor job, but at the same time the program only has one NCAA tourney win since Wade left.

but at the same time the program only has one NCAA tourney win since Wade left.
Not just since he left, but in all of the non-Wade years. He only had 3 NCAA appearances in 7 years without Wade (1-3). There's no question he left the program in a better state than when he came, but the NCAA results have not been there.

Archived