Brewer Fanatic

Indiana basketball continues to implode (Latest: Tom Crean to Indiana, per ESPN)

splitterpfj

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No wonder Tony Bennett wasn't interested.

That, and he's already in a power conference....and the school has been turning over its coaching staff rather frequently....not to mention that he has some inside knowledge about the problems in the athletic department due to his sister's tenure as women's basketball HC.

Tony has a great job where he is, and very little "win....or else" pressure, since the program went nowhere before he and his father took over. Honestly, unless he doesn't like life in Washington State....I can't imagine why he'd want to leave.

Isaiah Thomas's name has been brought up...now THAT would kill the program.

By "brought up" you mean "they aren't calling him."

They won't touch him with a ten foot pole. And neither would I.

Honestly, unless he doesn't like life in Washington State....I can't imagine why he'd want to leave.

I can imagine why he'd want to leave. They are in a power conference but they aren't a power team, they are pretty remote from the rest of the conference (they're practically in Idaho), and they don't pay competitively. Also, their athletic department budget is apparently sub-par.

That said, I can see why he'd want to stay as well. They gave him (and his father) a shot, he may like the city, he may like the players, etc.

Not to nitpick, but I believe his salary was raised to $800,000 per year when he signed his extension a year ago. With that being said, a lot of articles I read basically rip Pullman and say how it's a very remote location and there's not a lot to do there. I guess it's pretty hard to get in and out of so that obviously doesn't appeal to potential recruits and their visiting plans. Rivals.com has them 7th in the Pac 10 right now for 2008 incoming freshman.

I don't know how realistic this is, but I'm really hoping he'll stay with WSU til his contract runs out (2014) and then take over for Bo whenever he leaves.

Is Sean Miller (Xavier) still being talked about? I had heard his name mentioned a few times but I wonder if he'd want to leave now with IU returning no starters, though I suppose he'd get more money.

Last I had heard, Bennett made $350,000 a year in Pullman. FTJ says $700,000. He must have gotten a raise this year, but regardless. That's pretty good, but (for example) Oregon's coach makes $1.3 million per.

I thought I heard 400,000 to 800,000, but either way it sounds like it doubled.

Kind of off-topic, but UW is rated 5th in the Big 10 by rivals for recruiting class, behind Minnesota. Looks like Tubby's sure having an impact already http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

Why would Crean take that job?

MU should call up Pearl and get him back to Milwaukee.

I'm guessing more money and a more storied basketball program. I'd be really surprised if Pearl left Tennessee anytime soon.

To take that job, Tom Crean is an idiot. To go from MU, where they would pretty much give him anything he wants, and that he's got a pretty solid team coming back next year, to Indiana, where they don't have much of anything is stupid. Absolutely stupid. It would be nice to have Pearl come back, but I don't see that. Any thoughts on Crean's replacement?

To take that job, Tom Crean is an idiot. To go from MU, where they would pretty much give him anything he wants, and that he's got a pretty solid team coming back next year, to Indiana, where they don't have much of anything is stupid. Absolutely stupid. It would be nice to have Pearl come back, but I don't see that. Any thoughts on Crean's replacement?

Tony Bennett?

Yeah, what idiot would want more money, and to coach at one of the top 5 or 10 college basketball programs of all time? Sure the first year or two will be rough with possible sanctions and whatnot, but I think over the long run it would be a good career move for him. I'm not glad he's leaving, but it's hard to really blame him.

Would this have anything to do with either James or McNeal thinking of leaving early? Obviously James shouldn't, but I'm wondering if either of the two would think of testing the draft now, or maybe it has nothing to do with it.

Tony Bennett

That would really be a contrast in styles, I don't really see him fitting in there.

Edit: I forgot Crean's huge extension made him one of the highest paid coaches so it might not be money, but I'm sure history has something to do with it.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Crean was paid excellently by Marquette and they have a good team in a good conference. They should be able to get a good coach, I would think.

I wonder if Bennett would be interested in coming back to his home state. I hope they take a shot at least.

Archived