Brewer Fanatic

4/2/08 Brewers (Suppan) at Cubs (Lilly): 1:20 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its amazing how much of a difference it makes when the starter goes 6+ instead of 5 or 5+. Again even though it is only two games you can't help but be encouraged by it. The only thing I didn't like was that Suppan seemed to nibble a little too much. I know he only had 2 BB's but it just seemed like he threw a lot of balls. Either way I can't to read the Northside Baseball forums.

Pro's:

2-0. Series win. Kendell w/an infield single. Riske looking dominant. Defense = 0 E's.

Weeks w/some power. Bench hitters coming through again. Kendell w/a bat. Brauny is RBI man in 4 hole. Steals, steals and more steals....gotta love it. Soup is Mmm Mmm Good.

Con's:

Not seeing T-Bow in the 9th. Not seeing any RP's warming up in the 7th when Torress was in a jam (Yost needs to at least have someone up there warming up in case it goes bad...didn't he learn that from last year?) Last but not least...I was at work and not at the game.

Pro: 2 more days till Opening Day!!!!

Quick observations from the game:

Our D has been great so far. Billy has been real good and even Weeks has looked really solid out there so far.

The bullpen is awesome. I can't believe Riske was only hitting 87 on the gun. Really looks a lot faster. Like the guy a lot.

Seemed after the first time thru the order our approach at the plate was better. More patient for sure.

Just saw the game on DVR.

To me, the thing that stuck out was that great defensive play by Billy Hall. I don't think Braun makes that play and the Cubs are probably looking at maybe scoring a few runs.

Nice win !!

I was at the game. My observations are that:

Braun is locked in at the plate. If it's possible, he could be better this year than he was last.

Hall looked sharp defensively at third. OF defense was also solid.

Suppan was vintage Suppan. He made pitches when he had to all day. I still don't think he should go beyond 6 innings and 100 pitches though.

Great to see the emotion displayed by Torres when he got out of the 7th.

Riske is one cool customer and I think he could close if it comes to that.

By 9th, most of Cub fans had left leaving a vocal contingent of Brewer fans.

Just got back from the game, a couple things: 1st, my 8 buddies and I were extremely vocal in our support of the Brewers and interestingly enough, as the game went on brewers fans seemed to come out of the woodwork and joined our section, by the time take me out to the ballgame came around we probably had at least a group of 15. Following the song, we all broke out in Roll Out the Barrel. I have neveer seen so many fingers pointed my way in my life-I didn't realize that was such a big deal. Also, the Kendall hatred at Wrigley was intense, every Cubs fan around me was constantly ripping him. I never realized Torres was so small and Mota so huge. Finally, after the game my friends and i went down to the dugout watching Hart, Hall, and Attanasio get interviewed (we got on tv). As Mark was walking back into the dugout my friends and I yelled "we skipped school to come Mark, nice work! 162-0!" He actually responded, saying thanks for the support, the cheers (which apparently he heard) and that he was just happy to see these wins on the road. Then proceeded to give us 4 game used balls-I always liked Mark and thought he seemed like a nice guy, but now I know first hand

Just got back from the game, a couple things: 1st, my 8 buddies and I were extremely vocal in our support of the Brewers and interestingly enough, as the game went on brewers fans seemed to come out of the woodwork and joined our section, by the time take me out to the ballgame came around we probably had at least a group of 15. Following the song, we all broke out in Roll Out the Barrel. I have neveer seen so many fingers pointed my way in my life-I didn't realize that was such a big deal. Also, the Kendall hatred at Wrigley was intense, every Cubs fan around me was constantly ripping him. I never realized Torres was so small and Mota so huge. Finally, after the game my friends and i went down to the dugout watching Hart, Hall, and Attanasio get interviewed (we got on tv). As Mark was walking back into the dugout my friends and I yelled "we skipped school to come Mark, nice work! 162-0!" He actually responded, saying thanks for the support, the cheers (which apparently he heard) and that he was just happy to see these wins on the road. Then proceeded to give us 4 game used balls-I always liked Mark and thought he seemed like a nice guy, but now I know first hand
HAHA! That is awesome. I saw you guys also that means! 2-0.. what a feeling.

Maybe I'm paranoid but I wonder what "extremely vocal" means. I've cheered for the Brewers at Wrigley many many times and there were always groups of young male Brewer fans being "vocal" ie, acting like obnoxious drunk loudmouths. I'm not saying that's what happened here, I'm just saying I hope it wasn't since we gotta keep that moral high ground!

I guess I always believe you should be firmly supportive of your team but also respectful at a visiting stadium; cheer for your team but not make a spectacle of yourself, etc, which is what we all hate about Cubs fans coming up the road to MP: they can't seem to keep it in their pants.

Anyway, that was awesome that Mark A hooked you up.

Maybe I'm paranoid but I wonder what "extremely vocal" means. I've cheered for the Brewers at Wrigley many many times and there were always groups of young male Brewer fans being "vocal" ie, acting like obnoxious drunk loudmouths. I'm not saying that's what happened here, I'm just saying I hope it wasn't since we gotta keep that moral high ground!
Don't worry, there was no alcohol involved, although there was plenty with the same-aged Cubs fans around me. When i say loud i just mean we would yell brewers a lot or try to start go brewers chants, dashed with the occasional why did you get rid of kendall? yells. Also a sign that read "Dear Chicago, Here's to 100 more. love, Milwaukee" The fans around us actually liked the sign

I was down at the game today too, went into The Cubby Bear before the game, and was pleasantly surprised to see a lot of Brewers fans in there. We sat on the rooftop at 1032 Waveland, where Rickie's HR came right to us, what an awesome seat, not too far away at all!

From our vantage point of the whole stadium, there was hardly the 39k announced in attendance today. It was a joke, there were empty seats everywhere all game long, by the end there couldn't have been 10,000 people there.

Anybody hear the 'Let's go Brewer's' chant?

I was part of that chant! or one of them. Just got back from the game, and what an awesome game it was. Weeks absolutely crushed his ball. Braun crushed his too, but was way foul. A Ram is lazy and Cubs fans were letting him have it big time. Speaking of Cubs fans, they don't stay in their seats. They are up and down, up and down every other inning. Very annoying.

Great to see the emotion displayed by Torres when he got out of the 7th.

This is what I wanted to say. For someone who presumably thought about retirement upon being traded to the Brewers, it is nice to see that he is now apparently excited about being here and his role in the bullpen.

whoever brought up that over/under ont he 9.5 (im too lazy to look back), good thing kendall knocked in those insurance runs!!!

not just for the brewers, but that pushed the total runs to 10. (i, as well as a few others, predicted the over. just thought i would mention that...

Archived