Brewer Fanatic

Alumni Thread

Mass Haas
  • Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

John Alonso found work in indy ball quickly --

The Washington (PA) Wild Things of the Frontier League have signed first baseman John Alonso, a 22-year-old right-handed hitter who spent parts of four seasons in the Milwaukee Brewers' system. Alonso (6-0, 225) is a native of Orlando.

The Brewers' 12-round draft pick in 2005 out of Polk Community College, Alonso led the rookie-level Arizona League in extra-base hits (25) in 2006 when he batted. 301. Last year, Alonso had a .280 batting average for the West Virginia Power of the Class A South Atlantic League. He returned to West Virginia this season, where he played for former Wild Things manager Jeff Isom. Alfonso hit three home runs in 62 at-bats but was released with a .194 batting average.

In 163 professional games, Alonso has a .280 batting average, 18 home runs and 113 RBI.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

The Padres are now 12-23.

Wednesday, Joe Thatcher (stats linked - ugh) entered the game in a tough situation, bases loaded, no outs, but all three runners came in to score.

Thursday he entered a tie game in the 9th and allowed the winning Braves run to score.

Also in San Diego, this from Rotoworld:

Filling in for Tadahito Iguchi, Callix Crabbe went 0-for-4 with a walk and committed two errors on Thursday.

Crabbe's roster spot is very much in danger with Juan Castro available in Triple-A. The Rule-5 pick is hitting .176 with one extra-base hit in 34 at-bats.

We'd take Callix back if he was removed from the Padres roster, wouldn't we? With Rickie struggling, the Hurricane manning CF, and Abraham Nunez currently making most of the 2B starts in AAA, Callix should have a starting gig in Nashville waiting with some potential of a callup, right?

I'm guessing Doug would talk to SD about a trade, because the Padres seem to like him a lot more than the Crew did. With those veteran minor leaguers, they usually do what they can to put them in a good spot.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Rotoworld:

Blue Jays acquired outfielder Kevin Mench from the Rangers for cash considerations.

He goes from playing at Triple-A for the Rangers to possibly being given a chance to platoon with Matt Stairs or the recently acquired Brad Wilkerson. Mench isn't much more than a mediocre bench player at this stage of his career, but can still do a nice job starting against left-handed pitching.

Steve Palazzolo continues his post Brewer career with the AA Connecticut Defenders (Giants) of the Eastern League. Thus far 2-0 1.52 ERA in 11 games with 23 strikeouts in 23 innings and a 1.14 WHIP. Not bad for a guy the Brewers released in spring of 2007. At 6' 10", this guys certainly offers a different perspective out of a reliever.

LHP Rusty Tucker released from the Huntsville roster, have each signed with the New Jersey Jackals of the independent Can-Am League.

I guess this means Rusty will get a start on his "acting" career now, right?

Verified Member

Callix Crabbe has indeed been DFA by San Diego. Lots of Padres changes lately: Joe Thatcher optioned and Glendon Rusch outrighted.

DL News: Gary Glover (TB) and David Weathers (Cin) back on the active roster, Johnny Estrada (Wash) back on the DL.

Raul Casanova DFA by the Mets. Also, Jose Capellan refused his outright assignment by Colorado and is now a free agent.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Rotoworld:

Pirates purchased the contract of RHP Marino Salas from Triple-A Indianapolis.

Salas gets the nod over Jesse Chavez after posting a 0.77 ERA in 23 1/3 innings. It will be the major league debut for the 27-year-old former Orioles prospect.

The Brewers had claimed Marino Salas off waivers from the Orioles, and he pitched well for Huntsville (splitting time in Nashville last season). He was traded to Pittsburgh along with RHP Kevin Roberts in the Salomon Torres trade. By the way, two horrendous outings for AA Altoona have really hurt Roberts' numbers this spring.

The Brewers will likely see Salas some time next week at PNC.

I predicted when the Brewers let Wise walk that he would, as usual, have a better year than Turnbow. We'll see what happens, but the bar hasn't been set too high.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Brewer Fanatic Staff

New York Mets activated pitcher Matt Wise from the 15-day disabled list; purchased the contracts of pitcher Claudio Vargas and infielder-outfielder Fernando Tatis; placed outfielder Angel Pagan on the 15-day disabled list; designated pitchers Jorge Sosa and Nelson Figueroa for assignment; announced catcher Raul Casanova cleared waivers and assigned him to New Orleans of the Pacific Coast League (AAA).

Amazingly, five former Brewers are included in today's Mets transaction report.

Wise was a decent pitcher, I had no issues with him when he was on the mound... I didn't like that he couldn't pitch back to back days, I really thought that limited and stretched the bullpen unneccessarily. As I always said he was perfect for the post season, but weighed the pen down during the regular season. Good luck to him and CV, even though CV drove me nuts, he's got decent enough stuff.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Looks like Marino Salas will get his first big league win in his first game as a Pirate (his big league debut).

Salas came on in the bottom of the 9th in St. Louis in a 4-4 game. He loaded the bases during the inning on three walks (one intentional), then got Ryan Ludwick on a weak fly to right field.

The Pirates are going crazy offensively in the 10th against another former Brewer, Ron Villone, so it looks good for Salas and the Buccos.

Congrats to Marino on a night when it appears the Cubs, Cards, and Astros all will go down while the Brewers prevailed -- nice.

Wise was a decent pitcher, I had no issues with him when he was on the mound... I didn't like that he couldn't pitch back to back days, I really thought that limited and stretched the bullpen unneccessarily. As I always said he was perfect for the post season, but weighed the pen down during the regular season.
While I agree, it wasn't Wise's fault Yost had such a moronic bullpen setup in the past. Now that Yost has finally figured out middle relievers don't need roles and should just be used in a rotation, theres rarely a need to use a middle reliever in back to back games, and they all get consistent work. Wise would have fit this pen perfectly, and Turnbow could have been dealt for value, while the Brewers saved money.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Only thing is the way Matt finished last year; would have been hard for anyone to count on him.
Yet we were fine with the way Turnbow finished the year? I highly doubted beaning 1 batter would ruin wise's career. That would be a little far fetched.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Recently released West Virginia RHP Jared Sutton has signed with Joliet (IL) of the independent Northern League.

RHP Robbie Wooley and LHP Matt Ford were recently cut by their respective independent league teams.

Verified Member

Joe Thatcher (Padres) and RA Dickey (Mariners) are back in the big leagues.

To the DL: Gary Bennett (Dodgers), Chad Fox (Cubs), Ronnie Belliard (Nationals).

Off the DL: Al Reyes (Rays).

Abraham Nunez signs a minor-league deal with the Mets.

Earlier DFAs by the Mets, Nelson Figueroa was outrighted, and Jorge Sosa was released.

Archived