Brewer Fanatic

6/18/07 Giants (Lowry) @ Brewers (Gallardo): 7:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't necessarily disagree with your double-switch idea, but Mench was positioned poorly on the hit in question. I don't think Gross or Jenks gets to that ball....

First, part of the reason Mench has to play so deep is because he is a poor defensive player. Second, I'm saying that one of the other guys definitely gets to that ball or not. That's not really the point. There's a bigger picture. Even if there wasn't a ball hit to left-field at all, it's still a stupid mistake to have Mench out there playing defense when there were easily available better alternatives.

If you are going to rant, please have a good point to make.

I think I did. I forgot Gwynn was gone. Sorry. That doesn't really change the point of my argument. Jenkins could have still easily played outfield by using a double switch.

This is serious nit-picking on Yost.

Really? I disagree. I think any one of these things could have easily cost us the game. Just because it didn't this time doesn't mean they aren't things that should be examined. I think it's just as important to question potential mistakes when the Brewers win as when they lose.

Why burn through two pitchers when Villy's numbers have him pitching good against both lefties and righties?

Although it worked out for us, I think it would have been a much better decision to have Shouse face Roberts, Winn, and Klesko than Villanueva. A hitters splits are as (if not more) important than a pitchers splits when looking at matchups. Like I said, all of those players historically stuggle against lefties, so to me it's a no-brainer that you use your loogy to face them late in a 1-run ballgame.

[ First, part of the reason Mench has to play so deep is because he is a poor defensive player. Second, I'm saying that one of the other guys definitely gets to that ball or not. That's not really the point. There's a bigger picture. Even if there wasn't a ball hit to left-field at all, it's still a stupid mistake to have Mench out there playing defense when there were easily available better alternatives. ]

I agree with you.

[ Although it worked out for us, I think it would have been a much better decision to have Shouse face Roberts, Winn, and Klesko than Villanueva. A hitters splits are as (if not more) important than a pitchers splits when looking at matchups. Like I said, all of those players historically stuggle against lefties, so to me it's a no-brainer that you use your loogy to face them late in a 1-run ballgame. ]

I guess I disagree with you that a hitters splits are more important than a changeup pitchers splits. A changeup is a changeup is a changeup.. It's not hooking in on anyone. Villy's fastball has very little movement. When balls aren't moving left and right, the batter isn't seeing it any better.

[ You guys who feel the need to find something wrong with everything Yost does, do realize that the other team does get a say in these things don't you? ]

In fairness to dougjones43, he's defended Yost at points this year, so I think his concerns are certainly legit and debatable. Debating the points is fine... Telling him he's a Yost hater is an ad hominem attack, and doesn't do much for the argument.

In fairness to dougjones43, he's defended Yost at points this year

Thanks for noticing, Brian. I actually praised Ned's game management yesterday (check the end of the in-game thread if you want), while Yost himself and others criticized it. And that was during a loss. Today the Brewers won, but I feel the game was managed poorly, so I said something.

I've been accused a lot of blindly hating Ned Yost, but it's really not true. I try to be fair. To me, what's unfair is only criticizing him when we are losing or when a borderline decision doesn't work.

[ Thanks for noticing, Brian. I actually praised Ned's game management yesterday (check the end of the in-game thread if you want), while Yost himself and others criticized it. ]

Yeah, I thought someone hacked your account.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I think the Yost management criticisms are healthy. Assuming they don't turn into flame wars, I think we all learn a lot about baseball from them.

Was at the game and it was really fun. Pretty good crowd that let Bonds really have it and really cheered for Yo.

It was an exciting, nail biter of a game. We had a few opportunities to score a few more runs, but that's baseball. A win is a win and you have to be happy with that. Great to see Yo perform well (what a curve ball and changeup!) and get a hit right after I tell a friend he swings the bat well and might hit better than most NL pitchers.

But the crowd had a fun time and it wasn't your typical Friday night crowd (which I like too, but that's more of a drunk, party crowd). More of a baseball crowd it seemed. Was a good time for a Monday night.

Just got back from the game, Gallardo looked great after the first inning. Obviously had the jitters. He has pretty good stuff, and if he keeps up this kind of proformance, Vargas could very quickly be moved into the pen, and Spurling to AAA.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

More of a baseball crowd it seemed.

Oh, no joke! It seemed like everyone in my section knew what was going on and all seemed to provide valuable insight on certain managerial decisions. It seemed like all 41,000+ were bf.netters. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Sorry, Nashville. I want Yo to stay with Milwaukee. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Except for parts of CV's and Coco's outings, that game was completely fun. The crowd was not only large but enthusiastic and appreciative. Most stayed until the end - not bad for a weeknight.

I walked on the concourses for a little while after the early innings, and realized I had a giddy grin on my face - from the youngsters' success, and the crowd's genuine *and justifiable* Brewers excitement. Wow.

Could have done without the rain, though, which is why I'm only posting at 1:00 AM.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Fun, fun game to be at. It was very enjoyable watching Yo. They should have scored more runs, and Cordero's ninth was terrifying, but what can you do. As others have said, it was a great crowd.

So fun I think I'll go back tomorrow for Sheets-Lincecum.

Wow, what a game.

First, we were lucky to even get in, it was craaazy. We got near the stadium about 6:45, and didn't get to the parking lot til almost an hour later. We were in the very last row, and when we were walking up passed by a cop telling the cars to turn around and park elsewhere in the neighborhood.

Then that crazy 9th inning, doesn't get more tense than 3-2, bases loaded, 2 outs, walk ties the game!

And of course walking out to the car it starts raining at a decent clip, and then about 15-20 min later, you can barely even see the car in front of you.

Crazy night.

But a W!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I was at the game and didn't notice any leaks at all.

Yo has such an easy delivery it looks like he's not even trying. I think he hit 93 on the gun but his curve and change were in the high 70's. I was with the group that thought it was a mistake to bring him out for the 7th inning. It was pretty muggy in there and he had thrown 93 pitches already. He got up 0-2 on Feliz, but Feliz hit what was actually a really nice pitch off his ankles for a dinger. Had Villy not given up a jack, I'm not sure anyone would care at all.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I was at the game and didn't notice any leaks at all.

We were in the club level on the 1b side, and there was a veritable downpour that was hitting somewhere down in the loge or field level, maybe halfway to first. It was very noticeable.

Archived