Brewer Fanatic

6/18/07 Giants (Lowry) @ Brewers (Gallardo): 7:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22

Coco is going through the same problems with locating his breaking ball that t-bow had at this time last year.

Fortunately, while T-bows was hanging up and not breaking, Cordero's is staying low. Really low, but low.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone exhale now.

Much better.

Congrats to Yo on win #1!

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Wow what a finish...

I did think the decision to leave Gallardo in to hit with 90+ pitches on the night was worth second-guessing, but hey we pulled out another one.

So, in terms of stress levels, I would rank that above biking down a steep hill with no hands, but below having to wait in line for a restroom when you have to go really really bad.

Basically, that was close. Coco, please settle back in.

Ohhh, and Yo just takes a plate of shaving cream to the face, courtesy of Jenks. Nice way to end the night.

Yo immediately gets off to a great start with the W. Weeks comes off the DL to smack a pair of doubles, and everybody else keeps hitting. If Everyone became a smidge more patient at the plate this lineup has enough power to match anything the Yankees or Red sox have thrown together in the last 10 years.

Nice win by the Brewers tonight. I'm really happy they won, and I'm super pumped to see Yo pitched so well.

That said, I have some major questions about the managing tonight:

1. Was it really a good idea to put Gallardo out to start the 7th inning? I know that this one was a tough call, because he was pitching so well. But he had almost 100 pitches, and the consensus seems to be that we want to err on the side of caution with Yo.

2. Why the heck was Villanueva brought in instead of Shouse? With Durham due to pinch hit, the next 5 batters when Villanueva came in were: Durham, Roberts, Winn, Klesko, and Bonds. All of these players have a history of hitting much worse against LHP than RHP. I''m beginning to wonder if Ned Yost ever even looks at splits.

3. Why was Mench still in the game playing defense in the 9th? He is a terrible fielder (in addition to being a terrible hitter and baserunner). You have a 1-run lead in the 9th, and two defensive studs in Jenkins and Gwynn sitting on the bench. If that isn't a time for a defensive replacement, what is??? With Mench and his slow, crappy defense playing near the warning track, a hit dropped into left-center that Gwynn or Jenkins might have been able to get to.

Luckily, tonight this didn't cost us the game, but it could have, and things like this most likely will cost us some games in the future if Ned Yost doesn't start to make better decisions.

[ 3. Why was Mench still in the game playing defense in the 9th? He is a terrible fielder (in addition to being a terrible hitter and baserunner). You have a 1-run lead in the 9th, and two defensive studs in Jenkins and Gwynn sitting on the bench. If that isn't a time for a defensive replacement, what is??? With Mench and his slow, crappy defense playing near the warning track, a hit dropped into left-center that Gwynn or Jenkins might have been able to get to. ]

Jenkins pinch hit already, and Gwynn was getting his luggage off the carousel in Nashville.

Surprisingly, Yost said he has a 110 pitch limit in mind for Yo. Well I shouldn't say surprisingly, as I had no idea what he would say, but I would have thought they'd be ultra conservative.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Jenkins pinch hit already, and Gwynn was getting his luggage off the carousel in Nashville.

Seeing how Jenkins pinch hit in the 8th, and was only two batting spots behind Mench, it sure seems that a double-switch to allow him to play defense in the 9th would have made a lot of sense. I forgot Gwynn is gone already. Gross would have been a better option than Mench too though.

[ 2. Why the heck was Villanueva brought in instead of Shouse? With Durham due to pinch hit, the next 5 batters when Villanueva came in were: Durham, Roberts, Winn, Klesko, and Bonds. All of these players have a history of hitting much worse against LHP than RHP. I''m beginning to wonder if Ned Yost ever even looks at splits. ]

Nothing about Durham's stats say that he hits righties better than lefties... 2007 or career-wise. Same with Winn.... and Klesko's actually been better vs. LHP this year.

Villanueva's a change-up guy, which makes him rather arm-neutral. I think if we would have got to Bonds, we would have seen Shouse. Ned just about jumped up to go get him from Klesko, and then sat back down.

[ Seeing how Jenkins pinch hit in the 8th, and was only two batting spots behind Mench, it sure seems that a double-switch to allow him to play defense in the 9th would have made a lot of sense. ]

I don't necessarily disagree with your double-switch idea, but Mench was positioned poorly on the hit in question. I don't think Gross or Jenks gets to that ball.... Mench really isn't as bad of an outfielder as people make him out to be (except for the arm, which is rather weak).

Nothing about Durham's stats say that he hits righties better than lefties... 2007 or career-wise. Same with Winn.... and Klesko's actually been better vs. LHP this year.

OPS SPLITS (2004-2006) <span style="text-decoration:underline">vsLHP</span> <span style="text-decoration:underline">vsRHP</span> Winn .689 .821 Klesko .721 .846 

Klesko only has 21 AB against LHP this year, which is pretty meaningless. You're right about Durham though. Still, 4 out of the 5 batters hit much better against RHP. Doesn't make sense to use Villanueva over Shouse.

This is why some fans need to check themselves sometimes. If you are going to rant, please have a good point to make. This is serious nit-picking on Yost. You could see Yo was a bit tired and it's not odd to get him out a bit early in his first start. And now everyones favorite giy, Villy, is not a good option? He was the second coming for most of his stay here and now Yost gets bashed for bringing him in? Odd. Yost can't even win when we win some games. Sucks for him.

Quote:
Luckily, tonight this didn't cost us the game, but it could have,

Just as the moves he didn't make, could have. They didn't.

Quote:
and things like this most likely will cost us some games in the future if Ned Yost doesn't start to make better decisions.

Well then i guess its safe to say that Yost's decisions have cost us 39 losses so far this season.

You guys who feel the need to find something wrong with everything Yost does, do realize that the other team does get a say in these things don't you?

Archived