Brewer Fanatic

Weather Related Schedule Changes?

littledoc83

The storm that is moving through the Chicago area in the next couple days has got me thinking. I'm a little curious if MLB has ever/would ever change the start time of a game due to weather related issues. I don't mean to change the date of a game, but rather say change a game from a night game to a day game or vice versa.

For example: Say the Brewers were playing the 2nd game of a 3 game series in Chicago and the game was scheduled for a 6:05 start. If there was a large storm system that was going to move into the Chicago area in the evening, would MLB ever consider moving the game to say a 1-2 pm start that same day. I thought about the unpredictability of the weather forcast, but if it was a large system and you could make the change say 2,3, or 4 days ahead of time would it be considered?

I'm sure there would be concerns about travel plans, but I would think very few fans every fly to attend a game, so with 2-3 days notice it would make more sense to me to change travel plans by a couple hours rather than have a rain cancelation and not see a game at all.

Just a thought... I'm sure posters will think of 15-20 problems that I didn't consider, but just throwing it out there.

I don't think the paying customers and the broadcast affilitates would be happy about channging game times without more advanced notice. Usually game times are changed only to accomodate ESPN or FOX, and those are usually done weeks or months in advance.

Staffing was the one bad thing that I thought of, but if the change was at least a couple days ahead of time I would think they could make it work.

I'm not sure how the staffing of events is handled, but last year I know there was pretty much the exact same parking and concession staff at every game I attended (same seats/parked in same area).

As for broadcasting, I realized a nationally televised game would be out of consideration. For FoxNorth games though, it's not like they have to change any scheduling to air a game. The game is on an alternate station, which just goes off air when the game is over. I used a 2nd game of a series as an example, assuming that all the equipment and everything is already set up.

trwi7 wrote:

That would be correct. Although WGN and ESPN2 will be blacked out in the Milwaukee area.

I like to watch Brewers games on other stations now and then just to get an outside opinion. Of course watching the WGN guys is pretty tough since they are such homers.

Edit: My typing is terrible tonight. Missing lots of letters.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Wasn't there a start time moved up in advance of a hurricane in Florida a couple of years back? I'm thinking it was Cubs-Marlins.

I suspect it'd only be big (as in hurricane sized) weather that would prompt the kind of rescheduling you're talking about. Smaller storm systems, even if they're severe, are probably too unpredictable to allow time to say, we're making this into a day game. Imagine if you turned a night game into a day game because a squall line was expected, and the line broke up before it got to Milwaukee County. Heck, the winter of 07-08 has shown us that you can't always be sure where a blizzard is going to hit until it's happening.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I know they do this in golf (reschedule tee times because of forecasted rain). They did it just a couple of weeks ago in Miami. They moved all the t-times on a Saturday up several hours because of the threat of rain in the afternoon. I doubt they would ever do in in baseball.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Any weather updates from Cubbieville? Tuesday looks better so how much will they try to get this game in?

I'm stationed roughly 5 miles north and 2 miles west of Wrigley. Right now it's heavy overcast to almost foggy, cool low 40's, with a mist in the air. The heavy rain went through several hours ago. I'll keep you posted as the day progresses.

Here's a suggestion for Ned to ponder. If at game time radar indicates they can only get 2 or 3 innings in, then start McClung, so when the game is called after 3 innings you'll have Sheets ready to go on Tuesday, while Zambrano will be used up for the series.

Just talked to my good buddy who is currently sitting in Bernie's at Clark and Waveland.

Just like that camera shows, it is misting constantly but they WILL try to get the game in. If they can't, they will try again tomorrow. It's all about the gate. Double headers cost the team a full stadium of attendance as well as all concessions, parking etc.

The Cubs currently have a maximum of 30 night games during regular season. They usually schedule 1 or 2 short so that they can get a late season ESPN sunday night or allow for a day night DH in case of a rain out.

I know they do this in golf (reschedule tee times because of forecasted rain). They did it just a couple of weeks ago in Miami. They moved all the t-times on a Saturday up several hours because of the threat of rain in the afternoon. I doubt they would ever do in in baseball.

I don't follow golf, but I thought the first golfers were always the ones nobody really followed so nobody would mind if they start early.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Archived