Brewer Fanatic

Suppan vs Lilly

This thread isn't about Wednesday's matchup, but rather who would you rather have signed.

As far as I know, the Brewers weren't linked to Lilly the off season we signed Soup. All things considered, I think it's hard to argue today that Soup was the better signing. Both got similar deals (Soup got 2 million more, same amount of years) from the NL Central favorites.

Last year, Lilly had a career year while Suppan was solid, yet unspectacular. Sure, Lilly probably would have had a higher ERA with our porous defense but he fits in much better. He's gonna miss a lot more at bats than Suppan ever will. On the flip side, the Cubs would have been a better fit for Suppan as they have a much better infield defense and his stats would have probably shown that if he was with them last year.

Looking back, who do you sign? We need a lefty who can strikeout people, Soup needs a strong infield defense. If you think about it, the choice seems obvious.

I was in favor of signing Lilly last offseason (and trading for him during the '06 season when he was supposed to be available) based mostly on his K's, and I always thought that once he got away from the AL East, especially into the NL, he could be a really solid #2 starter. It was a good move for the Cubs.

I would also point out that last year was his third really good season out of the past four, and he was injured and jerked around quite a bit in his one bad season in that stretch ('05). He's a good pitcher. The Brewers didn't have a shot at him in FA, though, but I don't think he talked to anyone but the Cubs. IIRC, he signed really early in the process.

Yeah he had the same exact offer from the Jays the day he signed with the Cubs. Looking at the stats I too noticed he was pretty good the last 3 out of 4. He probably won't be as good this year as last, but you never know. Maybe he found something in his delivery to help with his control. He was pretty awesome for them last year.

I know it's moot now, but he should of been on Doug's radar. A 4 yr / 45 mil offer would have had to have him at least considering the Brewers.

Sheets, Gallardo, Lilly, Villy, and Parra would be a tough starting 5. That top 3 could have been really nasty in a playoff series. Having him instead of Soup would have made me much more comfortable losing Sheets this off season.

Community Moderator
I think moving to the NL helped him out. However, it's been a year now, NL hitters have seen his stuff, so hopefully (for the Brewers) there will be some regression this year.

Archived