Brewer Fanatic

Your 2008 Huntsville Stars -- Latest: Jersey Sale; Omar Aguilar; Angel Salome

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Well, this didn't take long, did it?

Southern League Pitcher of the Week

Jeremy Jeffress, Huntsville

2-0, 0.77 ERA, 2 G, 2 GS, 11.2 IP, 9 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 7 BB, 11 SO

It wasn't a perfect week for Jeffress by any standard; surely the former first-round pick has had better ones in his so-far stellar Minor League career. However, for a 20-year-old making just his second and third starts in Double-A, this is pretty impressive stuff. Jeffress didn't make it out of the third inning in his debut with the Stars, so perhaps he came out with something to prove against Birmingham last Monday. The right-hander allowed just three hits over six scoreless innings, showing minimal command difficulty with four walks. That didn't go away in his next outing against Carolina, when he walked three in 5 2/3, but Jeffress allowed just one run and struck out seven batters. So, while the shaky command is still there to be worked on, there's no questioning his stuff, nor the dominant results so far.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

Salome's stance belies sweet swing

Stars catcher cruising toward batting title despite odd approach

By BRAD SHEPARD

For The Huntsville Times

Huntsville Stars catcher Angel Salome cringes when he sees video of himself at the plate.

Head up, foot pointing toward third base - he seems a mechanical disaster. Yet from those flawed fundamentals comes a hitter chasing the Southern League batting title.

"When they take pictures of me, I'm like, 'Oh my God, what am I doing up there?' " Salome said. "To be honest with you, I don't know how I manage to hit the ball sometimes. I'm natural."

Every sport has its mechanical misfits. Athens native Philip Rivers short-armed his way to being an NFL Pro Bowler. Golf instructors cover their eyes when Jim Furyk swings. The Boston Celtics' Rajon Rondo has a hideous hitch in his jumper.

Yet they all produce, much like Salome, who's hitting .356 - 23 points higher than anybody else in the league - as the season enters its final week. Salome also has 11 homers and 80 RBIs, and he was at it again Tuesday, launching a two-run homer in a game suspended by rain with Huntsville leading 4-1 in the fourth.

Though Salome bails out on many pitches, he has good upper-body strength and plate coverage, considering his 5-foot-7 frame. He frequently drives the ball to all fields.

"After seeing him all year last year and this year, I'm amazed how he squares up on every ball he hits," Stars left fielder Cole Gillespie said.

"His mechanics are anything but typical, but he's found a way to make his work.

"I wouldn't recommend that swing to anybody who doesn't have 22-inch biceps."

Though minor league coaches are hired to get players mechanically ready for the big leagues, Stars manager Don Money has left Salome alone at the plate. He said there's no need fixing what isn't broken.

"There was a guy who I played against named Roberto Clemente who kind of had an oddball hitting form, and he was a pretty good hitter," Money said. "With Salome, you can't teach it, but you can't tell him to stop it, either. He has good eye-hand coordination, and his upper-body strength is unbelievable."

Though he doesn't talk a whole lot about it, Salome's numbers have somewhat given him a feeling of vindication after being suspended 50 games for testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs last year.

With strict testing occurring post-suspension, he knows people will take notice that these numbers are clean.

"Thank God I am proving it right now that I can do it without (drugs), even though I was doing it without it before," he said. "I wanted people to trust me after what happened last season."

Winter ball and bear-trapping next for Stars

Offseason plans new priority for team that failed to make playoffs

By BRAD SHEPARD

For The Huntsville Times

Out of the Southern League playoff chase the past month, the Huntsville Stars have turned their attention toward the offseason.

Some players received Arizona Fall League invitations, and others are off to play winter ball in foreign countries. Some Stars are planning surgical clean-ups and some will head home for part-time jobs.

As for second baseman Mike Bell?

"I'm going bear hunting," he said. "My uncles are bear hunting guides in the Trinity Alps in Northern California. I go every year.

"They use objects to make the bears go up into trees, but most of the time, you just go into a cave with a flashlight and a gun."

Apparently, there's nothing in Bell's minor-league contract that forbids him from hunting 6-foot-6, 400-pound creatures with a "Dirty Harry"-style 44-magnum and a prayer.

Pitcher Donovan Hand, a Hatton resident called up to Huntsville midseason, is heading home.

"Probably just going to work in the hay field some, I guess," he said.

Reliever Patrick Ryan and several other Stars are looking at winter jobs, too. Though some minor-leaguers have the luxury of living off of million-dollar signing bonuses, they're more the exception.

Others like left fielder Cole Gillespie are looking at weeks of rehabbing injuries. Ever since rookie ball three years ago, Gillespie has been nagged by a toe injury. During spring training this season, he was diagnosed with a broken sesamoid bone, so he's going to have surgery and spend several weeks recovering at the Brewers' complex in Phoenix.

"I've had this for a long time," he said, "so even though I'm not looking forward to it, at the same time, I'm glad to get it over with and get healthy."

Infielders Alcides Escobar, Guilder Rodriguez and many of the Stars' Latin players are heading to winter leagues in Venezuela to practice their trade with major leaguers such as Asdrubal Cabrera, Guillermo Rodriguez and Ceasar Izturis. Huntsville hitting coach Sandy Guerrero will serve as the hitting coach for a team in Venezuela, too.

While some Stars are waiting on their invitations to the prestigious Arizona Fall League, 20-year-old phenom pitcher Jeremy Jeffress knows he's going. The right-hander with the 100-mph fastball plans to spend the next few months improving his change-up and impressing Brewers representatives enough to get an spring training invite with the big-league club.

Escobar held out hope of reaching the majors this season as a September call-up for the Brewers' pennant run.

"Getting called up would make me the happiest person in the world," he said through a translator.

That came to fruition when Escobar was promoted Sunday.

Finally, Stars manager Don Money is looking forward to returning to his farm in New Jersey, where he'll spend time with his five grandchildren.

"I do a lot around the house," he said. "And outside of the house when the weather is nice."

Women form Stars' supporting cast

By VICTORIA CUMBOW

Huntsville Times Staff Writer

On most summer nights at Joe Davis Stadium, the cluster of 20-something girls sat together in the bleachers talking, giggling and cheering.

In order for their baseball-playing husbands to follow their dreams, these wives and girlfriends of Huntsville Stars restructured and relocated their lives.

The end of the season affords them a few months of normalcy. Kelli Welch, wife of pitcher David Welch, resides in Huntsville during the season but still considers Texas home and looks forward to seeing her family.

"It's not always fun, but I knew it was part of it going in," she said. "But I do get to travel, meet new people and go new places."

Kelli's son Maddox - named after Greg Maddux - gets loads of attention at Stars games as the women play pass the baby. Kelli's only rule for Maddox is no baseball attire.

"He doesn't wear any baseball clothes, and there are no baseball nursery decorations," she laughed, noting that friends still brought baseball-themed gifts to the baby shower anyway.

Kelli met her David - a native of Sydney, Australia - when they were attending Texarkana Community College. She brushed him off initially, but admitted his Australian accent softened to her.

Throughout their courtship, she visited him wherever he pitched. On a trip to watch him play rookie-league ball in Montana, he proposed.

Nowadays the left-hander does dishes, the laundry and even changes diapers in addition to his baseball duties.

Kelli said it's settling to have the other girls around. Because players are called up or demoted, the women are frequently faced with relocating at an instant.

"This has been his dream since he was a little boy. I could never take that away from him," said Christy Ryan, wife of Stars reliever Patrick Ryan.

Christy spent the summer with her husband in Huntsville, but has returned to Plant City, Fla., to study physical therapy at the University of South Florida.

"He's just like I am with him," she said. "He's there for me and my dreams and goals, and he's very supportive."

The Ryans have been married two years, but Christy said her father would give his blessing on the nuptials only if Christy finished school.

Ali Wright, wife of pitcher Brae Wright, met her husband when they were at Ole Miss. A semester later, Brae transferred to Oklahoma State and Ali transferred to the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising in Los Angeles.

"He laid it out on the line," she said. "He told me, 'If you're going to break it off, it's going to be your call, because I don't want to let you go.' "

Ali lives in Atlanta and works for Vanity Fair. She said she loves her job, which enables her to support the couple while saving most of what her husband brings in from baseball and his offseason jobs.

"His job is demanding, but it comes with the territory," she said. "His living his dream is the biggest blessing. We're just benefiting from experiencing the ride."

Ali's husband calls her the "Weekend Warrior" because she makes it to Huntsville for most of the weekend home games. She said Brae also supports her dream of owning a boutique.

When asked about the prospect of kids - which seems to be in the water at The Joe as Mat Gamel's girlfriend recently found out she's expecting in March - Ali Wright said, "I'm not ready to give up my heels yet."

Gamel and his girlfriend, Julianne Marie, attended high school together in Jacksonville, Fla., where Gamel's mother was the guidance counselor.

The two reconnected when they were home last Thanksgiving, though Marie had no idea Gamel still played baseball.

"I knew he played in high school, but he'd never mentioned it to me," she said. At his parents' house for dinner one night, she learned he was still a ballplayer - one of the Brewers' top prospects in fact.

"There were all these pictures of him playing baseball, and I looked at him like 'What the heck?' " she said. "Mat's a very humble guy."

Gamel was promoted to Triple-A Nashville shortly after the couple learned of the pregnancy. Marie, who traveled back and forth to Huntsville this summer, is staying in Jacksonville for now. Once the baby is six weeks old, she plans to join Gamel wherever he's stationed.

"It's hard," she said. "He only gets three days to come home (for the birth.) The baby will be born during spring training, and those games don't even count toward the season. He'll be leaving like the day I get out of the hospital."

Kelli Welch and Christy Ryan have been in the same cities the past three years as their husbands progressed through the farm system.

"I can't imagine not having her around," Ryan said of Welch.

"They're part of my family," Ryan said of her Stars friends. "We all have a common bond. We're in the same boat, the same situation. We're just good together."

Most of the ladies consider themselves baseball experts. Ryan used to photograph her husband pitching and would help him analyze his form later.

But Marie admitted to not knowing much before this season.

"I remember asking Welch what a grand slam was," she laughed. "That's how little I knew about baseball, but now I can rattle off any stat on any thing."

Huntsville Press Release by Buck Rogers:

1: First at-bat in AA ball and Matt LaPorta hits a grand slam. He left the Stars in early July with 20 homers.

3: The number of players from the 2008 Huntsville Stars that were called up to the Major Leagues this season (Mat Gamel, Angel Salome and Alcides Escobar). All three received an at-bat Wednesday (9/3), Escobar was the only one to get a hit. This number also reflects the ranking of the Stars overall winning percentage in the league; two teams (Mississippi & West Tenn) with lower winning percentages are in the playoffs based on a split-season format.

4: The number of pitches needed to win a baseball game. With a suspended game tied on April 27th, the Stars and Jacksonville Suns needed to finish up the next day during a daytime doubleheader. With the score tied 9-9, two outs and a 2-2 count on the Suns batter, Juan Sandoval threw one pitch to retire the side. In the bottom of the 9th Mat Gamel grounded to 1st on the first pitch and Chris Errecart, after fouling off one pitch, jacked a solo walk-off shot to end the game. You think you've seen it all...Sandoval comes in and throws one pitch, records an out and gets the win. All in a day's work, except that he spent more time warming up for the game then actually playing the game.

5: Don Mincher's number that the Huntsville Stars retired. The last player to wear that number was Mike Bell.

10: The number of new speakers installed at The Joe this season.

21: Most Stars hits in a game (vs Chattanooga).

40: Falling short of the playoffs this season, 40 is still the number of wins and losses the Stars have logged in post-season play in franchise history.

44: Overall players assigned to Huntsville this season.

47: The number of one-run games the Huntsville Stars played in this past season. The club's 17-30 one-run record came back to haunt everybody as the first half ended in a tie. Just one of those first half one-run games that would've swung our way would've landed us in the playoffs. Also the game time temperature on a night that the weather gurus called for snow back in April.

58: The game number where David Welch threw a complete game (seven innings) no hitter against Chattanooga. Welchie allowed two walks and whiffed six to up his record to 7-1 at that point of the season. Matt LaPorta homered and the Stars won, 2-0.

52: The jersey number of CC Sabathia who was acquired by the Brewers from Cleveland for Stars RF Matt LaPorta and three additional MiLB players. LaPorta went to Akron and his batting average dropped 76 points. Sabathia went to Milwaukee and is now the front-runner for the 2009 NL Cy Young Award and has the Brewers ahead of the pack in the wild card race. LaPorta was selected for the Future's Game and the USA Olympic team. You do the math and figure who go the better end of that deal.

67: Ounces in a 2-liter bottle of Diet Mountain Dew that is consumed daily by a couple staff members.

82: Player transactions that started with J.R. Hopf being transferred to Nashville and ending with Alcides Escobar being transferred to Milwaukee.

100: The number recorded on the speed pitch indicator every time the scoreboard needed to be reset.

144: The number of fans to participate in Operation Clean Sweep on March 22nd, effectively taking control of the stadium and showing that civic pride is alive and well.

179: The new franchise record for hits in a season established by Alcides Escobar eclipsing 176.

215: Days remaining before the Stars next home game.

333: The winning percentage of the Stars in extra innings (5-10).

360: The new franchise record for a batting average. Angel Salome crushed the previous record of .340.

385: The cost of a 2009 season ticket ($5.50 per game and some new perks).

800: The Stars winning percentage in shut-out games (8-2).

833: The Stars winning percentage in doubleheader games (5-1).

3,240: The number of stadium horns sold at The Joe in 2008.

05252: The winning number in our end of season drawing for a lifetime season ticket.

11,689: The number of honorary first pitches thrown by Huntsville Stars fans, staff, players, coaches, umpires and anybody else that wanted to join in on the fun. Big thanks to Cabinet NG, the official sponsor of the event. Look for something record breaking again next season out of Cabinet NG.

What? No more "Is your chicken kickin'?" advertisements?
My least favorite commercial was the Ballesario's (I'm sure I butchered the spelling), just the man's voice in that commercial drove me nuts. I'm weird like that, there's usually one commercial for each affliliate I listen to that makes want to turn the channel, but at least they are paying to advertise during the broadcasts, so they aren't all bad.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• 3 months later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Huntsville GM Buck Rogers put together a Top 10 List from the Stars' season after compiling suggestions from Stars' fans -- Buck's not a big Matt Laporta fan, by the way, at least off the field --

Because you can't watch a post-game interview in the world of sports without hearing some of the cheesiest clichés I thought that this would be a good time to keep the tradition alive a la Nuke LaLoosh...you know, I'm just happy to be here, I just wanna contribute, God willing, staying healthy and all of that. So, without further ado, let's post the Top Ten Moments from the 2008 Huntsville Stars so we can put this year in the books.

#10: It's More Than Baseball

I had a woman approach me this summer and say, "We never hear about the Stars players doing things in the community like they used to do when it was an A's team."

Clunk.

That was my jaw dropping to the pavement.

Naturally, this hit my nerves because our staff has accompanied our players and coaches on many charitable events and appearances.

I responded that maybe our guys do it out of the goodness of their hearts and aren't looking for recognition; maybe they're doing it for the right reasons and not the publicity. No matter, but this subject is really near and dear to our staff and is something we take personally. So when your responses started coming in it validated that our players are in touch with the community and will continue to be in the future. Thank you for your comments and we do forward responses on to Milwaukee.

We received so many personal notes about how a player had interacted with a fan that we couldn't list them all, but we included a couple here.

My favorite 2008 Stars memory happened during the July 4th weekend series against the Barons. I was sitting in the stands with Cole Gillespie's dad, when Cole hit a three-bagger. His next at bat went out of the park and the expression on his dad's face reminded me why I love Minor League Baseball sooo much! It's all about the game and each player giving their all and about the family and the fans! That was the same weekend when Matt LaPorta was traded. There was talk that Cole might be in the mix. I remember talking with his dad and him telling me that Cole loved the Brewers organization. - Pat Drosten, Brevard County Manatees Season Ticket Holder, New Smyrna Beach, FL

My top memories include the stadium clean-up days, time shared with pitcher Joe Bateman during the Booster Club's welcome banquet, bringing my grandson to games (we've been bringing him since he was born but he's 6 now and taking more interest in the goings-on) and the general resurgence of energy brought to the Joe by you and your staff. Looking forward to 2009, GO STARS, - Johnny Phillips, Killen, AL

We had Stars players show up to our grandkids Little League games in town. It had to be on an off day because I know the Stars don't have a lot of free time, but they showed up to watch and encourage the kids. I never would've suspected that they were Stars players themselves because they were more like older brothers to the kids, cheering them on. - Jackie Weckerle

A few of us on staff accompanied some players on a visit to the kids' cancer center at Huntsville Hospital. Mike Jones promised one young patient that when he got well he'd have him out to a Stars game and let him throw out a first pitch which he (Mike) would catch. Mike lived up to his promise and I'll never forget the boy's smile that night.

I could go on, but of everything on the list that you provided as 2008 memories it's these stories that are probably the dearest to my heart.

#9: Tom Sawyer Whitewashing the Fence

Many of you wrote in regarding Operations Clean Sweep I and II. In February our staff faced a dilemma. We conducted a thorough walk-thru of the stadium and made a laundry list of things that needed repairing, repainting or just plain scrapping. Realizing that the stadium's water was shut off thru the winter to prevent pipes from freezing, the task at hand wasn't going to be started until mid-March just before the season began.

With not enough time or bodies to accomplish the mission ourselves, the call went out for volunteers. There were a few staff members who doubted that more than a few hardcore fans would show up. But the civic pride of North Alabama was on display as 144 of you enlisted for battle armed with brooms, rakes, pressure washers and paint brushes. A weekend's worth of sweat changed the look of The Joe and left me stunned. I had privately hoped for 50 people, but the outpouring of the fans to show their support for this organization and the stadium was overwhelming. This single event set the wheels in motion that this community will rally around the team and the activities at the stadium.

A second OCS was conducted November 1st to winterize the ballpark. You can say what you want, but when you're facing whitewashing a fence and it's not all fun and games, it's good to have a Huck Finn and Becky Thatcher willing to join in the 'fun.' Brian Burnham was one of many that participated and commented on the clean-up. We'll be at it again in mid-March.

#8: The Thrill on the Hill or the Dooka in Chattanooga

There were four Stars' fans that wrote in regarding this one. It was the final game of a road trip at Chattanooga. There was already bad blood between the Stars and the Lookouts, the AA affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds. CF Michael Brantley walked up to the plate and told the Lookouts' catcher that he wasn't going to play their silly game -- hit the batter or actually words to that effect. In fact, it was prob'ly worded differently. Earlier in the game Beef (Stars Pitcher Patrick Ryan) had dusted a couple Lookouts batters in an on-going back and forth Jedi mind game, and things went from bad to worse. Beef batted ahead of Brantley and it became comical when the Lookouts pitcher tried to hit Beef with some payback but kept missing as Beef leaned backwards to avoid the beanballs. Beef walked and Brantley came up with a bad attitude. There was no fun in his eyes and he took two close-in pitches before he started the march to the mound and that was that. Dugouts and bullpens emptied and you could almost hear Michael Buffer...: "Ding...Ding...Ding...: Ladies and gentlemen...uhhhhhh...LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!"

The thing I'll remember most was three different Lookouts player approached catcher Angel Salome who was just standing at the rail of the dugout taking in the melee. Angel is built like a middle linebacker and somebody you normally wouldn't want to mess with, even in the heat of battle, but these three guys decided he was open for business. Angel rabbit punched one right after another dropping them to their knees, including the Lookouts Manager Mike Goff who took a couple swings at Angel. It was a Stars franchise record for fines and suspensions. In the end the Lookouts came to town and Goff was classy enough to visit the Stars' clubhouse and apologize to Stars Manager Don Money regarding some comments made about Don and the Stars resembling barnyard fowl's waste by-products.

Here's a rehash for those interested:

http://www.timesfreepress...-lookouts-punished-fight/

#7: Brian Massey, the Human Piñata

Again, we received a few emails regarding this promotion. Cinco de Mayo at the Ballpark was as real as it gets. Paul Westbrook played a legitimate flamenco guitar, the staff was dressed in Mexican-style clothes and fans received numbered Green Cards as they entered the ballpark, one that was worth a million pesos in tickets if one of the Stars players hit for the cycle. None did, but it was fun to wish for it to happen.

But the thing that made the night most entertaining was the Human Piñata. There's something magical about selecting somebody like Director of Media and Public Relations Brian Massey for this event. He knows he's screwed as soon as we begin asking for a volunteer. "Low man on the totem pole?" he asked. "Nah, you're just the fan favorite. Everybody loves you. You know the deal. Oh, and when the kids beat you senseless with a baseball bat, don't make a sound unless you're broken or bleeding." If you weren't there, it was a priceless moment as the Massinator tried to stay quiet while the first unassuming kid whacked him with a softee (padded) baseball bat. The blindfolded kid thought he was hitting a cardboard piñata. Then a couple staff members took their shots. A classic moment and we couldn't help but laugh.

Relive it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YTHfOKHTr4

#6: The Tripleheader

No, not the Hansen Brothers from that hockey movie 'Slapshot,' this was more like that old commercial for Certs Breath Mints....three, three, three games in one. Nothing says hardcore like three baseball games on one night, actually the completion of one game and a doubleheader, but three games nonetheless.

I first saw this happen back in Fayetteville, NC, in the mid-90s and when I mentioned it to a couple fans that because of the playoff scenario and the bad weather we could end up playing a tripleheader, they thought I was joking. But because the games were needed to settle the playoff picture the league OK'd the games. Even League Prez Don Mincher admitted he hated doing it, but Minor League Baseball will always make every attempt to play its games to determine its championships. Naturally there were some unhappy folks from players, coaches, staff, fans and day-of-game employees, just about everybody when I think back, but you always have to look at the bright side...how many people do you know that can actually say that they sat thru a tripleheader? No plans to make this an annual event, even though a couple of you asked about it.

"Thriple Header! What a night (what a lead into that night, from mgnts point of view / jumping thru hoops)!" - Mike Smith

#5: The Trade

Again many of you wrote in regarding what has come to be known as The Trade. For those that just woke up from a 26-year nap, the Milwaukee Brewers traded away Stars RF Matt LaPorta and three other Minor Leaguers to the Cleveland Indians for CC Sabathia. The Brewers ended up making the playoffs on some of the most amazing pitching by CC and restoring hope to Brewers fans everywhere. LaPorta, whose first at-bat of the season was a grand slam, went to the AA Akron Aeros where he dropped his bags and went to the MLB Futures Game and later the Olympics in China.

LaPorta could hit the long ball but had a reputation for not being fan-friendly with the autograph seekers. Fans in the Eastern League actually found out what some Stars fans had discovered early on: good luck getting something signed.

In the end I think the Brewers got the better end of the deal. You can say what you want about what the future could hold for LaPorta, but a guy with a Terrell Owens attitude isn't going to help you in the long run. Ask Jerry Jones. Clubhouse Manager Marcus Commander asked Matt to sign his jerseys before he left; the same jerseys that were to be auctioned off in our MDA and St Jude's fundraising auctions. "What's in it for me?" was the response. Go figure. Good luck, Cleveland. Karma is a two way street.

You know the champagne that was on ice had we clinched the first half? Some of the players popped the corks and celebrated after the Brewers pulled the trigger on The Trade. Morale improved after that, players smiled more. Must be something in the water here, too.

By the way, those two jerseys were sold without autographs and helped the two fundraisers anyways.

#4: The Team

The Stars were batting over .300 as a team in July. Those are absolutely ridiculous numbers. At season's end the Brewers had three of our 2008 Huntsville Stars in Milwaukee: C Angel Salome, SS Alcides Escobar and 3B Mat Gamel. The lineup of the Huntsville Stars was voted the #1 in MiLB by Minor League News. These three players are just the beginning of what the future of MLB will remember of the 2008 Huntsville Stars.

Who can forget the body moves and throws by Escobar? There were nights where I thought he didn't have a skeleton because a human body wasn't supposed to bend that way. Gamel and his 'Aw, Shucks,' southern guy demeanor and Angel, the Human Bowling Ball, proposing to his fiancé on field after the game, all will bring back good memories. And let's not forget that Angel had the league high and new record .360 batting average.

How about David Welch's no-hitter? Sam Narron's two-hitter with a home run to help his cause? We even had a triple play in '08. Stars fan Brad Miller added many good comments including the 10 Stars named to the All-Star team. That's 10, even though four were gone before the game came around. Even one of the Carolina players asked why the league didn't just form a league-wide All-Star team and come to Huntsville to play the Stars.

Many of you emailed in moments of the play on the field regarding what was a season for the ages. Hopefully you got to meet some of these guys before they left because it was a memorable bunch. I suspect a Stars caravan will make a couple trips to Nashville this season just to see this line-up together in action again. In my baseball career I have never experienced this much talent on one team in one season. I think many of you feel the same way. It might be a long time until it happens again. Doug Palmer, you were right, unless there is a rehab assignment somewhere down the line, we won't see many of these guys in Stars uniforms again.

#3: The Horns

"...The kids in the stands with the horns...home team 10th man! Love the horns!" - John Eichstaedt.

You either loved 'em or thought that they blew (I'll wait for you to finish groaning), but the horns raised the volume and atmosphere at The Joe.

Last spring fans complained that the atmosphere of the stadium was like a funeral home. One guy said it best: "This place has all the charm of a mausoleum...it's gray, quiet and has no life. Do something."

We did.

The stadium horns became the #1 seller at the team store. If you doubt that, go to a local hockey game and you'll see (and hear) those same horns wreaking havoc...pun intended. The quiet ballpark was no more.

For those in attendance, think back to one of those Kids' Days or the 9,444 fans on the 4th of July. I could only imagine that on the field it might have sounded like the Battle of Jericho.

This season there will a horns-free section located behind home plate directly below the radio booths. If you wish to avoid the noise, the view can't be beat and the only thing to your back will be the voices of the radio broadcasters. John, you hit the nail on the head; fans can raise the tempo and intensity of the game.

#2: World Record First Pitch

A slam-dunk by over 90% of you that took the time to write in.

In August we opened the gates at midnight (19 hours before game time) so that everybody could throw out a game's honorary first pitch for the record books. Keep in mind that it was rocket-fired, non-stop, step up and throw one after another for 19 hours until game time for a total of 11,689 first pitches. That's a pitch every six seconds. Big Paul Thompson was one of 50 fans present when the event started and he stayed thru the light rain, took a power nap on a dugout bench and kept chunking day and night. We had fans, players, coaches, umpires, and staff, even the Mayor showed up to join the fun. The bottom line was that the sponsor of the event - Cabinet NG - wanted a fun-filled event for Stars fans and those of you that participated had a good time. Classic comments included when I introduced myself to one elderly man. He said his name was Ben.

"Ben what?"

"Son, after this throw, what'll be my fifth today, it'll be Ben Gay."

He said his real name was Arthur, Arthur-itis.

Touché.

Now, before we hit #1, I need to take a moment to thank all of you for writing in and sharing your highlights and memories. Our staff realizes that we don't have the best ballpark with all of the amenities, or the biggest and best of what other teams and cities enjoy. But we know that we have the best fans, bar none and together we can make baseball here at The Joe the best that we can! We realize that there is only one way to improve our operation and that is to make sure that each of you are treated like family members and understand that you're an important part of our operation. We can't thank you enough for a wonderful season and for being a part of our extended families.

We also couldn't begin to thank or compensate the Booster Club for the help that they have provided us. I don't think fans walking in the gate will ever completely understand how much work goes into this operation behind the scenes. We couldn't do it ourselves and our Booster Club really alleviates some of the problems that we face on a daily basis and I thank each of you for your commitment to the club.

So from the bottom of our hearts, our ownership, players, coaches and staff want to thank each of you for a wonderful, enjoyable and memorable 2008 season. We thank you for believing in the Stars and selecting us as part of your family's entertainment options.

And now, after a few more clichés, here's the top vote getter.

This list is what it is. It was like Manny being Manny putting this list together: 90% mental and 50% luck. And I felt like a batter waiting for his pitch while waiting for you fans to email in your top moments of the season.

Jeez, who created these phrases anyways?

A Manager needs a good wife, a great pitcher and a .300 hitter; not necessarily in that order.

Enough, already.

Our top vote getter got to me early and often. It wasn't just one moment, but a season long presence.

#1: Hit Me a Homer

Hands down, the top vote getter was Homer the Polecat, the official mascot of the Huntsville Stars.

Say it with me: Amen.

Nowhere with any other team have I had such a hard-working mascot. I think just about everybody's responses included testimonials about Homer. I've included a few of them here:

Brewerfan insert -- Homer the Polecat (skunk) was born in 1995 after skunks were seen coming out from behind the outfield wall and running past the outfielders. The players are very grateful to have Homer close by instead of the skunks that preceeded him!! Homer resides behind the center field wall and loves to participate in his favorite promotion, the BASE RACE. Unfortunately, Homer is 0-for-his-career (winless) against the fans here at Joe Davis Stadium in the nightly run around the bases.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/images/2005/03/31/89ewXwvo.jpg

My second favorite memory (of 2008) is when Homer the Polecat got called into Buck's office to be told "They were bringing down some hotshot mascot from the majors" (Roger 'The Rocket' Clemons). This of course was done on TV Bull Durham style. - Wil Elrick, Fox-54

Having Homer come up and visit with the girls (in their seats) over & over during the season. - Jerry Staniero

Homer winning the employee of the year. - Allison Tofflemire

The master of mischief had undoubtedly won over the hearts and minds of Stars fans and your comments were flattering. Some of the things we hadn't even heard about before, but it's apparent that Homer was a huge reason fans enjoyed coming out to the ballpark. Homer, of course, isn't going anywhere and will back in '09 to create some more childhood memories!

There you have it, the year's best memories provided by you, the best fans in baseball! We wish everybody a safe, Happy New Year and remember there are only 98 days and a wake-up until Opening Day!

Huntsville GM Buck Rogers put together a Top 10 List from the Stars' season after compiling suggestions from Stars' fans -- Buck's not a big Matt Laporta fan, by the way, at least off the field --

#5: The Trade

LaPorta could hit the long ball but had a reputation for not being fan-friendly with the autograph seekers. Fans in the Eastern League actually found out what some Stars fans had discovered early on: good luck getting something signed.

In the end I think the Brewers got the better end of the deal. You can say what you want about what the future could hold for LaPorta, but a guy with a Terrell Owens attitude isn't going to help you in the long run. Ask Jerry Jones. Clubhouse Manager Marcus Commander asked Matt to sign his jerseys before he left; the same jerseys that were to be auctioned off in our MDA and St Jude's fundraising auctions. "What's in it for me?" was the response. Go figure. Good luck, Cleveland. Karma is a two way street.

You know the champagne that was on ice had we clinched the first half? Some of the players popped the corks and celebrated after the Brewers pulled the trigger on The Trade. Morale improved after that, players smiled more. Must be something in the water here, too.

By the way, those two jerseys were sold without autographs and helped the two fundraisers anyways.

What about this makes you think he's not a laporta fan?

Holly molly, you don't see quotes like that everyday.

Happy new year and good luck Matt! Good luck in Cleveland Pal!

Woah!

I can understand a player not signing for a fan, but not signing for an MDA fundraiser? What a lowlife. Worst of luck to ya Matt.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I think that you need to sign autographs and be fan friendly in general until you experience some success at the MLB level. I realize that at some point, the demands are too much and you just want to be left alone. But when you are in AA - you need to be more fan friendly.

I am really shocked that Buck even mentioned those things. While I don't doubt they are true, he must have really disliked Matt to throw him under the bus.

It certainly makes me like the trade even more. (And to think, my biggest concerns about Matt were the holes in his swing!)

I have a few thoughts to add:

1. BrewCrewStu needs a word of thanks for adding Holly Molly to my lexicon, and I may just use it more than Holy Moly in my future.

2. I lurve Buck Rogers, but whoa Buck, these disparaging words are getting back to LaPorta, for sure, and they are just not something you see often out of baseball management...pretty forthcoming, to a fault.

3. In spring training this March, I thought LaPorta personified arrogance, and that he and Gamel did not seem to care for each other at all

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Aguilar on cusp of Opening Day roster

By SEAN LYNCH, Merced (CA) Sun-Star

slynch@mercedsun-star.com

Things are happening quickly for Omar Aguilar.

After a trip to Washington D.C. last week, the former Merced College star is set to fly out to Milwaukee on Thursday to be a part of the Brewers' Fan Fest.

Life becomes a little more exciting when you're named to a Major League Baseball 40-man roster.

But despite the whirlwind of activity, Aguilar is determined to take his time and enjoy the moment.

"It's hectic, but awesome," Aguilar said. "Fan Fest is something I've never done before, so I'm really looking forward to it.

"I want to meet the guys and just try to take the whole thing in."

The 2009 season could be one of many firsts for Aguilar.

He had a brilliant start to 2008, moving up from High-A Brevard County to Double-A Huntsville after recording a 3-0 record with 13 saves and a 0.35 earned run average.

The Livingston grad didn't skip a beat moving up a level. Aguilar posted a 3.08 ERA and four saves in 47 games at Double A.

Aguilar capped his brilliant year with a good showing in the Arizona Fall League. He was named an AFL rising star after allowing just two runs in 11 games.

The Brewers apparently agreed with the AFL's assessment, adding Aguilar to the team's 40-man roster.

"I think they've known all along what he's capable of," Merced College baseball coach Chris Pedretti said.

"Anytime you have a pitcher who has arm trouble, there's going to be a little concern.

"But watching him and talking to him, he says his arm feels as good as it ever has.

"It's easy to see why the Brewers are excited. I've never, in my 27 years, been around a kid who throws as hard as he throws."

Aguilar's career flashed before his eyes when he had to have Tommy John surgery in 2005.

After a year's worth of rehab, a throwing program and rebuilding arm strength, Aguilar regained his electric fastball.

The adversity also taught him how important his complementary pitches are.

Aguilar's development of those pitches -- particularly his changeup -- is what has him on the cusp of the major leagues.

"My fastball is what got me drafted. But when I hurt my arm, I realized I need to have a few other tricks," Aguilar said. "My first two years in the minors I was a thrower.

"Last year I really worked on becoming a pitcher."

Because of the strides Aguilar made, the closer will head into Spring Training with an outside chance of making the opening day roster.

"If it happens, that will be great," Aguilar said. "But if I'm in Triple-A or back in Double-A, I'm just happy to be pitching and trying to get better.

"It'll happen when it's meant to happen."

If Aguilar's 2009 is anything like 2008, it could happen much sooner than later.

Aguilar File

POSITION: Pitcher

THROWS: Right

YEARS PRO: 3

ORGANIZATION: Milwaukee Brewers

DRAFTED: Selected in the 30th round by Milwaukee in 2005.

LAST YEAR: Aguilar had a combined 3-3 record with a 1.98 ERA and 17 saves in High Class A and Double A. Was named to the Brewers' 40-man roster after earning Arizona Fall League rising star honors.

Merced Sun-Star - Photo by George MacDonald

http://media.mercedsunstar.com/smedia/2009/01/19/23/490-MER_p0121_S21_AGUILAR.standalone.prod_affiliate.111.JPG

He said looks like Zambrano, and yes he may not be a tall as Zambrano but definately has the same physical characteristics. Definately not height-challeneged.Go see for yourself, he'll be in town this weekend for the On Deck FanFest. I also can't wait to see what he does in Arizona this spring.....He looks to be in pretty good shape to me.....

6'5" Carlos vs. 5'11" Omar

In case anyone else was surprised to see that sub-six foot mark from Maas Haas, the Baseball Cube has Aguilar at 6' 1", Brewerfan has him at 6', and brewers.com has him at 5' 11". Since height listings are usually exagerrated, it's probably safe to say the shortest listing is the most accurate. So while I was hoping to prove Maas wrong, he's probably right. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Not that an inch or two makes any difference (in most cases!) but I would be inclined to say he is closer to the 6' mark......either way the guy can deal and has filthy stuff. By the way, the Brewers have him as a RH thrower and a RH hitter....he swings it from the left side.

Link, text follows:

Perspective: Giving a helping hand
By Lisa Winston / MiLB.com

Milwaukee Brewers catching prospect Angel Salome has spent most of his life embracing two different cultures -- his Dominican roots and his New York City home.

Salome, who moved to the United States with his mom when he was just 3, is a citizen of both his native and adopted countries and is completely bilingual, graduating in 2004 from George Washington High School (alma mater of Manny Ramirez) before being drafted by the Brew Crew in the fifth round of the First-Year Player Draft.

And from the moment he left his Washington Heights home for Milwaukee's Arizona complex nearly 2,500 miles away, he has done more than just rake -- a .322 career batting average in five seasons notwithstanding -- and develop as a catcher.

He's also served as a cultural touchstone for some of his Latino teammates, many of whom were still in their teens, who were still working on mastering the English language and the customs of a foreign country.

From Phoenix to Helena, Mont., to Charleston, W.Va., to Viera, Fla., to Huntsville, Ala., Salome took under his wing any young teammate who needed assistance, from helping them set up their utilities to lending them money for groceries to just being there for moral support.

While there has been less need for the real basics as he's moved up the ladder (he finished the 2008 season in Milwaukee), he has always let teammates know he was there if needed.

"You're always going to have some players who might speak a little bit of English, but don't feel comfortable with reporters," Salome said. "Sometimes they'll say, 'Leave me alone, Angel, I can do it myself, but just be right next to me in case I get in a little trouble.' And that's what I do. But I am just proud of them as they try to learn every day."

So Salome's participation in the recent one-day Latino Rookie Career Development Program session that preceded the "main event" was familiar territory, even though he probably didn't need to be there for his own purposes.

The RCDP dates back to 1991 and is perhaps the only program in baseball that is co-sponsored joyfully by the Players Association and Commissioner's Office.

The program, which takes place over a long weekend, brings together a handful of top prospects from each of the 30 organizations, players who have already spent some time in the big leagues or who their clubs think will be there very soon.

During the three-day event, players participate in interactive sessions, lectures and discussion groups that address challenges they will face when they reach the big leagues. They range from working with the media, protecting their careers from issues like gambling and drugs, knowing all the rules about performance-enhancing substances, maintaining their health and financial and fiscal responsibility.

In addition, the program utilizes a team of "baseball resource players," former Major Leaguers who take the time every year to share their own experiences, both in large group sessions and smaller breakout groups.

"I pretty much knew most of the things they were telling us, but it was different to have those players tell us that they'd been through these situations before and we would probably go through the same things," Salome said. "The main reason we're here is to learn to believe it."

The one-day Latino program, however, was not added to the RCDP until the last decade, when it became clear that to make it more meaningful and rewarding for Spanish-speaking players, an additional facet was needed.

Several of the clubs' top prospects, who had varying degrees of mastery of English, are brought in a day early and treated to a one-day crash course on many of the topics that will be discussed further over the rest of the weekend.

This session is conducted exclusively in Spanish and gives players an initial comfort level and familiarity with the subjects.

Then, when the other players arrived on Thursday evening to kick off the rest of the program, the Latino players could use headsets through which interpreters kept them apprised of all of the discussion.

In addition, players who had little or no English background were together in one discussion group, while those with more varying degrees were in another group with a few other bilingual players.

Among the speakers during the Latino program was Sal Artiaga, who has been involved in the game for more than 40 years, including a term as president of Minor League Baseball, and who serves as director of Latin American operations for the Philadelphia Phillies.

There are few, if any, people in baseball more devoted to trying to make the transition easier for these players than Artiaga, who has written a handbook just for that purpose that includes a Spanish-English glossary of baseball terms.

"There are approximately 8,000 professional baseball players, ranging from the Rookie leagues to the Majors," Artiaga explained. "Of that group, 3,500 or about 44 percent are foreign. And of that group, 91 percent are from Spanish-speaking countries."

For the most part, the Latino program follows the script, condensed though it is, of the regular program. But there are a few topics addressed that are exclusive to the one-day session, such as immigration laws, cultural differences and language barriers, the latter two of which are Artiaga's domain.

"There are a lot of things they do differently in the Dominican, that have to be taught," Salome said. "And you have to learn how to handle yourself, how to dress, how to say 'Hi' to the people, how to tip when you go to restaurants, just all the little things you have to do to get better."

Perhaps the hardest-working people over the course of the program, however, are the two women who sit in the tiny booth in the back of the ballroom and, in alternating 20-minute shifts, serve as interpreters: Susana Santangelo and Eva DesRosiers.

Santangelo, who hails from Argentina, and DesRosiers, who grew up in Ecuador, are self-employed freelance translators who spend most of the year working for such employers as the U.S. Department of Justice, State Department, foreign embassies and law firms.

They have both been regulars at the RCDP since the addition of the Latino program, and both say it is by far the job they look forward to most all year.

"This is the most fun job we have," Santangelo said. "Everything else in this area is either political or legal."

During the program, and especially during the role-playing skits performed by the noted Second City improvisation troupe, the language can get a little ... well, salty. So it might be disconcerting if players turned around and saw these two well-bred ladies rapidly translating what is being said.

But that aspect of the job doesn't faze either one of them.

"Sometimes you have to use vocabulary you wouldn't use in everyday life, but you get used to it," DesRosiers said. "Working in courts, we have to do that, too."

"I personally don't mind the street language and slang," Santangelo added. "The thing that is hard sometimes to interpret is the nitty-gritty of the game vocabulary or when they go into high detail about the plays."

That's where Artiaga's glossary was a huge help. And by now, both women are familiar enough with the terms that they rarely need to refer to it.

Angel Salome was the first catcher since Jason LaRue to win the Southern League batting title. (Photo courtesy Huntsville Stars)

http://ww2.minorleaguebaseball.com/images/2009/01/20/kDb6cf7I.jpg

Archived