Brewer Fanatic

Your 2008 Huntsville Stars -- Latest: Jersey Sale; Omar Aguilar; Angel Salome

Mass Haas

About John Heyman's mention of the Huntsville lineup there:

-It's interesting he'd list LaPorta as a first basemen

-"Salome Angel"... wow. You don't see someone just flip a guy's name around too often. If Angel saw that, he must be pretty confused.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

Father figures heavily in life of Stars' Brantley

Outfielder learns plenty from watching big-league dad

By BRAD SHEPARD

For The Huntsville Times

As a teenager, Michael Brantley sat in the stands watching his dad's minor league baseball teams play, dissecting every aspect of the game.

From a botched sacrifice attempt here to a missed cutoff man there, the future Huntsville Stars center fielder recited the mistakes - one-by-one - to his "Pops" postgame.

"It was amazing to me how much he knew the game then," said Mickey Brantley, a former major league player and hitting coach. "Afterward, he'd come up and tell me what the other players did wrong and where they messed up."

Brantley's baseball savvy has endured - he doesn't make those same mistakes as a professional. At 21 years old, he is the most fundamental player on the Stars roster, as well as one of the best.

For a team that boasts five of Milwaukee's top 10 prospects, Brantley - the Brewers' No. 24-ranked minor leaguer, according to Baseball America - receives lofty praise from his coaches.

"Best player we have on the team," Stars hitting coach Sandy Guerrero said. "He's extremely fundamentally sound defensively and offensively. He's a great base runner, he bunts well, moves runners over, gets hits when he has to, always knows the situation.

"With guys like him, all you have to do is maintain it."

From his toddler days asking dad's Seattle Mariners teammates for candy, to shagging balls at Shea Stadium during Mickey's tenure as roving hitting coordinator for the New York Mets, Brantley has lived between the white lines.

Now, he's thriving there. Entering Saturday, the Stars' leadoff hitter was in the top 10 in the Southern League in batting average, runs, hits, steals and on-base percentage.

"I always have something to prove no matter what," Brantley said. "There's only one place to play, and that's the big leagues. Hopefully, you open somebody's eyes enough, and you go out there and play every day and somebody likes you."

Thus far, Brantley has done nothing but impress. Until last season, he'd never hit below .300 at any of his three minor league stops.

But he struggled last year after being promoted to Huntsville, hitting .251 in 59 games. This season, he's comfortable and back to the player of old.

"I think I'm progressively getting better," Brantley said. "The last half of last year, I was just feeling the waters. I struggled a little bit, but that's what I needed."

To overcome the first extended slump of a career, Brantley spent the offseason doing what he always has: Working in the cage with his dad.

Mickey had a good stroke of his own, hitting .302 with 14 homers for Seattle in 1987 before injuries cut his career short. He served as the Toronto Blue Jays' first base and hitting coach from 2005-07.

During the Stars' last homestand, Brantley called his dad, who was in Memphis working as the Chinese Taipei National team's hitting consultant. Dad drove to Huntsville to look at Michael's swing, and after one night, he helped his son iron out some mechanics.

"I'm lucky enough to have that where I can call my father," Brantley said. "He's been working with me 21 years and knows my swing. He can almost fix it over the phone."

From the time he was 13, Brantley knew he wanted to play baseball. When he told his dad, he got a smile and then a piece of advice.

"If you want to do it, this is what we've got to do: We've got to work every day," Mickey Brantley told his son. "You've got to set some goals and play the game."

After taking a job with Toronto in 2005, Mickey Brantley didn't see his son play as much as he would have liked.

After being fired last season, though, he has more time to watch Michael and run his baseball academy in Florida. Mickey Brantley already has seen six games this year, five more than he did the rest of Michael's professional career.

"This year was the first time I actually got to really see him play, and he surprised me," Mickey Brantley said. "For me, he's always been quick. Now, I see what they see as scouts and coaches."

Brantley has been showing the improving power and speed to his teammates at every minor league stop.

"I think he's underrated," Stars third baseman Mat Gamel said. "He's definitely a baby - still wet behind the ears - but he carries himself in a better manner than most other 21-year-olds I know. He acts older than he is."

He's also known as a mature player. He said that's his favorite compliment.

"I pride myself in that," Brantley said. "It's a dream come true to come out and play the game, and I'm making people see me in that light, so that's all you can ask for."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Huntsville Press Release:

HUNTSVILLE LEADS WITH TEN ALL-STARS

When the Southern League announced the 2008 SL North All-Star Team, Monday, no other team had more players selected to participate than the Huntsville Stars. Huntsville led the way with ten players named to the squad.

Angel Salome, Alcides Escobar, Michael Brantley, Chris Errecart, Joe Bateman, Steve Hammond, Patrick Ryan, David Welch, Mat Gamel, and Matt LaPorta were each selected. The team was decided by a vote of Southern League field managers, radio broadcasters, general managers and print media.

Of the 10 players selected, four will not be able to participate in the All-Star Game. Bateman and Hammond have been promoted to Triple-A Nashville and Gamel and LaPorta will be at Yankee Stadium playing in the Futures All-Star Game.

The 2008 Southern League All-Star Game will be held July 14 at Five County Stadium in Zebulon, North Carolina, the home of the Carolina Mudcats.

The Southern League will announce the South Division All-Star team on July 1. Starting lineups for the North Division will be released on July 2, followed by the starting lineups for the South Division on July 3.

To purchase tickets, visit www.gomudcats.com. For more information, please visit www.huntsvillestars.com.

I know we should be happy with getting an astounding ten guys named to the all-star squad, but I think it is slightly criminal that Cole Gillespie got overlooked....the guy is having a great season (10th in the 10 team Southern League in OPS), and I think batting average myopia of some of those selecting the team may have cost him the berth. The top ten OPS list in the Southern League includes 5 Brewer prospects, with every one of those 5 being younger than any of the other teams players in the top ten.

Also, I know the Huntsville team results have been seen as disappointing by some, but their overall, full-season record is the best so far in the Southern League...

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=l_sta&lid=l111&sid=l111

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Huntsville's 10 reps top North team

All-Star Game set for July 14 in Zebulon, N.C.

By BRAD SHEPARD

For The Huntsville Times

David Welch was snoozing in an East Tennessee hotel room Monday afternoon when a phone call woke him up to good news.

He had made his first all-star team as a professional.

"I'm absolutely over the moon right now," said Welch, who is one of 10 Huntsville Stars on the Southern League North Division all-star team.

"I'm extremely excited. It's been a big goal of mine."

The Southern League South All-Stars will be announced today. The game is scheduled for July 14 at Five County Stadium in Zebulon, N.C.

Before Monday night's start, Welch boasted an 8-1 record with a 3.62 earned run average and also had thrown a seven-inning no-hitter this year. He joined the recently-promoted Steve Hammond as the Stars' starting pitchers on the team.

Relievers Joe Bateman and Patrick Ryan, third baseman Mat Gamel, shortstop Alcides Escobar, catcher Angel Salome, first baseman Chris Errecart, center fielder Michael Brantley and right fielder Matt LaPorta also made the squad.

"It's four-fifths of our infield and two-thirds of our outfield, plus four pitchers," Stars manager Don Money said. "They all deserve it, too."

Hammond and Bateman won't participate because of their promotion to Triple-A Nashville. LaPorta and Gamel won't play because they will represent the United States team in the Futures Game as part of the major league All-Star festivities at Yankee Stadium. Escobar was a Futures invitee last year.

Though Gamel and LaPorta have known about the Futures Game invitations for a while, LaPorta is still honored to be an all-star and to play in the most hallowed baseball venue during its final year.

"This will obviously be my only chance I'll ever get to play in Yankee Stadium," LaPorta said. "My dad and uncle are coming out, and they're excited.

"It's a tremendous honor and a huge deal for me because there are so many minor leaguers deserving of it."

There is also a possibility that the Futures Game will be an audition of sorts for the Olympics, Money said. The U.S. team will be announced in mid-July, and LaPorta said he'd be lying if he said he hasn't thought about that possibility.

"I definitely have thought about it, and that would be such a blessing to play for my country," he said. "But, at the same time, it's out of my hands."

One thing still in Huntsville's control is a chance to make the Southern League playoffs by winning the division's second-half title. To a man, the all-stars noted how disappointed they were to have lost out to West Tenn on the first-half crown.

"It just goes to show how good this team is that we had 10 all-stars," said Ryan, who is one of five first-time all-stars along with Brantley, Hammond, Welch and LaPorta. "It's a shame we didn't win the first half, but hopefully, we'll all stay together and have another chance."

Corporan promoted: One Stars catcher became an all-star Monday, but the other one got perhaps better news.

Huntsville reserve catcher Carlos Corporan was promoted to Triple-A Nashville, after hitting .265 with three home runs and 15 RBIs in 34 games. Regarded as an exceptional defensive player, he will likely be a reserve with the Sounds.

"Good for Corporan," Money said. "He's done a fine job."

Replacing Corporan on the Stars roster is 21-year-old Martin Maldonado, who was hitting .266 with nine RBIs in Brevard County.

Maldonado, according to Money, is also a "good throw-and-catch guy."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

The wonderful John Blackwell has his Huntsville Stars photo gallery from his recent visit to see the Stars / Mudcats.

Enjoy the gallery. If you've missed John's work previously, he posts here as "wvpowerblkwel" and there are other equally nice gallerys of the Manatees and Power here.

Thanks so much, John! Please feel free to order prints from John via the links.

"Oh yeah, you think I can't hit .380? I'll show you..."

http://shim1.shutterfly.com/procgserv/47b8d920b3127cce9854880e215000000047108SaOGrlszo

For what it's worth guys, if you order photos off the shutterfly site, there is no $ in there for me. I get to know these guys, and as I am CPA and not a photographer, I don't want any of them to think I'm turning a dime off their images. These are there to give you guys some of the views that I get chasing my love of the game. Please don't purchase my prints for resale...just for your own consumption!

Brewer Fanatic Staff

From Brian Massey, Huntsville's Media Director:

Today, the Southern League announced the starting lineup for the 2008 SL North All-Stars, and three Huntsville Stars have been selected as starters. Stars' outfielder Michael Brantley will lead off and play right field, catcher Angel Salome will bat fifth, and shortstop Alcides Escobar will bat eighth.

The Stars will send six players to Carolina for the All-Star Game after having ten selected. Chris Errecart (1B), Patrick Ryan (RHP), and David Welch (LHP) will also represent Huntsville. Joe Bateman (RHP) and Steve Hammond (LHP) were selected but have since been promoted to Triple-A Nashville. Mat Gamel (3B) and Matt LaPorta (OF) were also selected, but will be playing in the MLB Futures All-Star Game at Yankee Stadium.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Garciaparra not regretting minor move

Stars' infielder picked contract over Vols

By Nick Gates, govolsxtra.com

SEVIERVILLE - Huntsville Stars infielder Michael Garciaparra envisoned himself as a two-sport athlete at the University of Tennessee until the Seattle Mariners made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

The younger brother of major leaguer Nomar Garciaparra signed with the Vols but had a change of heart after Seattle selected him 36th overall - supplemental first round - in the 2001 Major League draft and offered him a $2 million signing bonus.

The 25-year-old Whittier, Calif., native is with his fourth organization. Garciaparra hooked up with Philadelphia, Baltimore and the Brewers after being let go by Seattle in 2007. Yet, he has no regrets.

"I've learned a lot," he said Wednesday at Smokies Park where the Stars are playing a four-game series with the Tennessee Smokies. "I've got to experience a lot of things you never get to experience in life."

Garciaparra isn't discouraged by his inability to reach the majors.

"This is my seventh year, and some might say playing seven years is too long but if I went to college, I'd be playing only three or four years (in the minors)," he explained. "I've had some rough years but I've learned a lot about the game that I thought I knew. To this day I still learn things and I've had a good time."

Garciaparra was a star soccer player at Don Bosco Technical High School. He had ambitions of starring at UT as a placekicker and shortstop.

A visit to Big Orange Country left an impression.

"I'm from Southern California," he said. "Everybody wants to play ball out there. I visited Tennessee, Clemson and Tulane. I guess I just liked orange, the tradition, and getting a chance to play baseball and football at a school like that would have been a great opportunity. I felt like I picked a school that was a good fit for me."

Garciaparra and Preston Mattingly, the son of Yankees first baseman Don Mattingly, were two of UT's high-profile signees during the Rod Delmonico era. Like Garciaparra, Mattingly, also an infielder, was a supplemental first-round pick - 31st overall - in 2005 and signed with the Los Angeles Dodgers.

"I was lucky enough to have a lot of options," said Garciaparra, who is hitting .192 in 14 games with the Stars.

Garciaparra is getting a fresh start with Milwaukee and has no intention of giving up his dream.

"I feel like I'm an old guy on this team," he smiled and said. "There really isn't a timetable. Nowadays there are so many older players sticking around and taking care of their bodies better and lasting longer. People are playing into their 40s.

"I feel I still have something to offer. I'll play as long as they let me play the game."

Shouldn't Garciaparra try a Chris Weinke or Javon Walker and go to college for football? Not that I hope he fails at baseball or anything, it's just that his chances of making it to the majors appear to be slim. Meanwhile, NFL teams are always looking for a good kicker.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Ungs' biggest fan now cheering from high above

Brilliant performance after mother passes

By Jim Leitner, Dubuque (IA) Telegraph Herald Sports Editor

Nic Ungs received a little divine intervention Thursday evening during his most brilliant performance of a physically and emotionally exhausting season.

High above Smokies Stadium in Kodak, Tenn., Jane Ungs cheered as loud and enthusiastically as she ever has during her son's eight-year professional baseball career. She aggressively disagreed with whatever jeers the home team's fans shouted and assured Nic everything would turn out OK as he worked through the occasional rough spot.

Jane Ungs, who lived to watch Nic and brother Matt Ungs pursue their passion for baseball, lost an eight-year battle with cancer Wednesday at her home in Dyersville, Iowa. She was 51 years old.

So, while Nic Ungs mustered up the courage to pitch the following night, Jane Ungs lent him a little extra strength. She was finally free of the pain that turned her family upside down, so she could act like every other baseball mother -- believing that her encouragement would make a difference.

It did.

Nic Ungs, in just his second appearance after a six-week stay on the disabled list because of tendinitis in his shoulder, tossed seven innings of one-hit ball for the Milwaukee Brewers' Double-A affiliate, the Huntsville Stars. The 28-year-old right-handed pitcher induced the Tennessee Smokies into 14 ground-ball outs in a 4-0 Southern League road victory.

Ungs lowered his ERA to 0.75 in his two appearances with Huntsville. He began this season, his first in the Brewers' organization, at Triple-A Nashville and could return there as early as this month.

"I'm just trying to get the feel of being back," he said Thursday night. "I'm enjoying the fact that I'm healthy again. And this is a great team to be associated with.

"My catcher, (Martin) Maldonado, and I were on the same page. We had a good game plan going in. They're a pretty aggressive team, so I tried not to be predictable. I wanted to throw inside, throw away, change speeds and look for early contact, but not good contact."

Ungs allowed only a two-out single to Matt Craig in the fourth inning. He walked two and struck out none. Jason Shiell pitched the final two innings.

During his stint on the disabled list, Ungs made a late-June trip to Dyersville to visit his mother one last time. He tried to stay sharp by throwing bullpen sessions with his brother, also a former all-stater at Dyersville Beckman who manages the Dyersville Whitehawks semi-pro team.

"I actually have it kind of easy, because I get to be away playing baseball all summer," Nic Ungs said on Sunday. "It's a lot tougher on my dad (Donnie) and my brother, because they have to deal with it on a daily basis.

"It's hard because she used to really enjoy listening to my games on the Internet, and she couldn't do that."

Jane Ungs' cancer kept her away from the road trips she and Donnie would have cherished as Nic pursued his dream of pitching on a Major League Baseball diamond. She saw him pitch for the Kane County Cougars of the Class A Midwest League in 2002 and did get to see his Triple-A debut four years later.

The Florida Marlins' top affiliate just happened to be playing the Iowa Cubs in Des Moines when Nic got his first start for the Albuquerque Isotopes in April 2006.

"It was pretty nerve-wracking, but it was also really exciting," Jane Ungs said after the game at Principal Park. "I got a little emotional, because it's been so long since I've seen him pitch. And, as a mother, you're always worried about how they'll do. He had one rough inning there, but I thought he did pretty good."

Nic Ungs' career offered the perfect escape from Jane's pain, even if it came in three-hour increments every fifth day. You'll never find a more humble family that understands the value of hard work and humility.

Even when baseball politics dealt him an unfair hand, his family would help keep things in perspective.

"It really makes you proud," Donnie Ungs said after Nic's Triple-A debut. "We were talking the other night about how many people dream about the situation he's in and getting a chance to pitch at this level in front of the home fans. I couldn't believe how many people came down and how many people talk about his career back home.

"We really appreciate it."

It's easy to root for the Ungs family because of those values. And now, their biggest supporter will be cheering loudly from above.

http://www.thonline.biz/article_photos/details/JaneUngs_color0.jpg

Nic and the Ungs family, from all of us here at Brewerfan, you have our thoughts and prayers.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Brian Massey of the Stars' staff with the update:

The Southern League released a revised SL North All-Star team roster, which includes Stars' left fielder Cole Gillespie. Gillespie will be taking the spot of injured Carolina Mudcat and Florida Marlin top prospect Cameron Maybin.

Gillespie is batting .277 with 12 home runs and 55 RBI. He is currently second in the Southern League in doubles (28) and third in the league in extra base hits (44).

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Keep in mind the Southern League is only a ten-team league, so the squad Huntsville players are on is only made up of five teams. So at minimum, an average Stars' squad would garner five All-Stars anyway.

I'm not diminishing what folks have said about this group, from Peter Gammons to everyone else, but let's not let that fact cloud the big picture. That number in the Sally League or PCL would truly be gigantic.

Kevin Goldstein at BP relays a scout's impressions of a few Stars:

Still A Lot Of Stars: While Milwaukee dealt top prospect Matt LaPorta to Cleveland in the CC Sabathia deal, the Double-A Huntsville squad remains one of the more impressive in the minor leagues. Despite the loss of last year's number one pick, one scout who recently scouted the Stars still saw plenty of prospects on the team, and commented on a trio that in particular caught his eye:

• Third baseman Mat Gamel (.371/.432/.615): "Obviously he can really hit, but he absolutely can't play third base and I'm not convinced he is going to hit for big power. I just don't feel confident about what to do with him, really."
  • Shortstop Alcides Escobar (.325/.356/.439): "There's a big factor with his poor plate discipline, but the ball jumps off the barrel of his bat. Defensively, he's just a playmaker-a web-gem worthy shortstop. Both his arm and his range allow him to make plays out there that others have no chance of making. He's an everyday shortstop in the big leagues."
  • Catcher Angel Salome (.337/.396/.514): "That guy just grew on me every day. He's unique, but he knows it. He understands his swing, sets pitchers up and shows really good instincts as a hitter. It's a muscular, compact, athletic body, and I saw an above-average arm."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

The Huntsville kids all contributed in a 6-1 North Division All-Star win --

Michael Brantley (2-for-2, run), Alcides Escobar (2-for-4, run, two RBI), Angel Salome (0-for-1, walk), Cole Gillespie (2-for-4), David Welch and Patrick Ryan (one scoreless inning apiece) all represented well.

Joe Hamrahi of Baseball Digest Daily with a comment about and picture of Mat Gamel (h/t Right Field Bleachers)

Not that he needs me to pump him up, but the ball REALLY jumps off the bat of Milwaukee prospect Mat Gamel. The sound of contact was different from any other player I watched today.
:http://blog.baseballdigestdaily.com/Gamel%20All-Star%20Futures%20Game.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Staff

While we're posting complimentary links --

Most of the good wood on the Northern Division squad came from the Stars: the Huntsville Stars, that is. Alcides Escobar, Michael Brantley and Cole Gillespie - three mainstays of Huntsville's League-leading offense - all had two hits each.

"Our guys really swung the bats," Northern Division manager Matt Raleigh said. "I'll call it team Huntsville because their team is so good offensively. I think they had six of our nine hits as it was."

The Northern Division offense got its share of support from the hometown boys as well. Benson native John Raynor scored the game's first run after doubling to lead off the bottom of the first inning. He came home on a shot up the middle by Escobar, the highly regarded Milwaukee Brewers' shortstop prospect.

"Unbelievable player, what an athlete he is. Offensively he swings the bat, defensively, he's as good as there is," Raleigh said of Escobar. "I knew he was good when we played them but when you watch him here and he's on your team, it's quite amazing to watch him play the game."

Escobar was part of seven infield outs for the North squad, which also turned three double plays, helping make their pitching staff's night much easier.

"That's seriously the best infield I've ever played with," Chris Coghlan, the home team Mudcats' starting second baseman, said. "[Eric] Eymann over there, he made some great plays and Escobar, he's going to be a big leaguer. And, of course, you had [the Mudcats'] Gaby [sanchez] and Hubbard. They hit some on the ground and we made some nice plays."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

David Weiser's www.starsboxscore.com

Michael Brantley, Alcides Escobar, and Cole Gillespie made a significant impact for the Northern All-Stars in their 6-1 victory in the Southern League All-Star Game at Five County Stadium, Monday night, but it was a local hero, Carolina 2nd baseman Chris Coghlan, who emerged the All-Star of this show...... Brantley, Escobar, and Gillespie combined for six of the North's nine hits, and scored half of their runs, but it was Coghlan's three-run homer in the 5th off Jacksonville right-hander Jesus Castillo that broke the game open, giving his squad a decisive 5-1 lead.

Brantley started the decisive 5th with a single. Escobar followed with a line drive single to left. Coghlan then turned on Castillo's next pitch, a fastball right down the middle, and launched it over the right-field fence to push the North to a 5-1 advantage....... Tennessee Smokies outfielder Doug Deeds added one more in the 6th with a long bomb on a 3-2 pitch off Mobile right-hander Brooks Brown that nearly cleared the scoreboard in right field.

North starter Ben Jukich of the Chattanooga Lookouts took home the Pitcher of the Game award after retiring the side in order on just six pitches in the 1st inning.

The North took a 2-0 lead on Montgomery's Wade Davis in the bottom half of the inning after leadoff hitter and Mudcat centerfielder John Raynor hit a ground-rule double down the right field line. Escobar, 3rd in batting in the league, singled to center to drive him in for the first run. Escobar went to 2nd on the throw home, went to 3rd on a ground ball by Coghlan, and scored on a passed ball by John Jaso, who also was charged with a passed ball in last year's All-Star Game.

The South made it a one-run game after Stars left-hander David Welch retired the South on six pitches in the 3rd. Mobile shortstop Yunesky Sanchez hit a leadoff double off Carolina pitcher Jeff Gogal in the 4th. Sanchez went to third on a grounder by Jaso, and scored on a sacrifice fly by Mobile's 2nd baseman Rusty Ryal....... Afterwards, no South player was able to reach second base until they loaded the bases with two out in the 9th. Then Carolina's closer, Chris Mobley got Birmingham's Miguel Negron to ground out to end the game.

The North's defense was a big help, turning three double plays. Chattanooga 3rd baseman Eric Eymann started a pair, while Stars right-hander Patrick Ryan snatched a hard-hit comebacker and turned it into a 1-6-3 double play in the 7th.......Ryan pitched a scoreless 7th, retiring the South on 12 pitches, striking out leadoff man Ryal before giving up a ground ball single to Mobile 1st baseman Bryan Byrne, who led their squad with two hits....... Over 5,600 attended the game which played out in a swift 2:19.

Coming out of the All-Star Break......... Four of the top five hitters in the Southern League are from Huntsville. Check out the leaderboard information at the "Standings Page" ........ Since coming off the disabled list June 24, David Johnson has thrown 9 2/3 scoreless innings in relief over the space of seven games........ Since Patrick Ryan's consecutive scoreless streak from the start of the season ended at 20 2/3 innings, he is 2-4 with a 5.56 ERA...... Alcides Escobar is 15-for-30 in his last six games, scored eight times, and has driven in six runs. 14 of those 15 hits are singles........ Mat Gamel has hit safely in 21 of his last 22 games and is working on a seven-game streak. He's 37-for-96 (.385) since June 18 with one home run and 19 RBIs...... Michael Garciaparra was 6-for-15 in the Chattanooga series....... Lorenzo Cain hit .318 in that series....... Matt LaPorta is 6-for-16 (.375) with a home run and 4 RBIs since joining the Eastern League Akron Aeros........Carlos Corporan is hitting .214 (6-for-28) in 10 games with the Nashville Sounds with one home run hit in last Friday's game....... Joe Bateman is 1-0 with a 2.61 ERA in 6 appearances for the Sounds...... Steve Hammond is 0-4 with a 7.41 ERA in four starts, nevertheless still leads the Brewer organization in strikeouts with 91...... The Schaumberg Flyers of the independent Northern League have released pitcher Chris Saenz.

There are going to be some suspensions at the wrong time, for the Stars face the 1st place Tennessee Smokies when they return home, trailing by two games Wednesday with a homestand full of interesting promotions that could only come from the house of Buck Rogers........ The first-ever Gorgeous Grandma beauty pageant on Thursday, a fundraiser for the Huntsville Hospital Foundation and fireworks on Friday, a Corey Hart T-shirt Jersey giveaway on Saturday, and a celebration of the 39th anniversary of the Apollo 11 mission on Sunday...... Friday, fans can see a pre-game "Hoses and Handcuffs" Home Run Derby between the fire department and HPD. Proceeds from "Launch-a-Ball" and a silent auction will go to the Foundation........ WDRM sponsors a contest with their listeners, in which five couples will experience a romantic candlelight dinner in a skybox section Saturday night while they watch the ballgame, as part of I 'Hart' the Stars...... Thanks to the votes from Stars fans, Brewers fans, and their affiliates, Corey Hart was added to the NL All-Star squad in MLB's extra-man voting. Evan Longoria was voted in, likewise, on the American League side.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Southern League Press Release:

Hitter of the Week

ALCIDES ESCOBAR, SS, HUNTSVILLE STARS

The Stars' offense regained its fearsome form during the week, and Escobar was at the center of the action. The All-Star shortstop led the league with 15 hits, including at least two in each game, during the period as Huntsville scored 48 runs during a five-game winning streak.

Escobar also tied for the league lead with three steals and tied for second with eight runs for the Stars, who entered the week with only 17 runs scored in their first six games of July. The 21-year-old Escobar began the week with a double and a two-run single in a 9-2 victory against Birmingham on July 7. He collected four hits and scored four runs in a 15-4 rout of Chattanooga two days later and added three hits and a stolen base in a 10-3 triumph on Friday. The native of Vargas, Venezuela capped the week with two hits on Saturday to enter the All-Star break third in the league with a .337 average. His 136 hits are second only to teammate Mat Gamel's 143 in all of Minor League Baseball.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

I'm pretty sure some of each affiliate's players is involved in the community in some form -- the Sounds held their baseball clinic for deaf kids this spring, we recently saw the Manatee baseball clinic photos, and the Stars get some nice mentions here. More probably goes on that we don't hear about as well.

Stars' players visit young heroes in St. Jude ward

Benefit game raises money for Huntsville Hospital Foundation

By YVONNE BETOWT

Huntsville Times Staff Writer, yvonne.betowt@htimes.com

Early Friday, 6-year-old Tommy Lau Jr. was tossing balls in the pockets of the pool table in the pediatric playroom at Huntsville Hospital for Women & Children.

He was eagerly awaiting the arrival of several members of the Huntsville Stars, the Double A affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers baseball team.

They were scheduled to visit children at the hospital's St. Jude pediatric ward in conjunction with their benefit game Friday night to raise money for the Huntsville Hospital Foundation.

"There is not a family in America that hasn't in some way been touched by cancer, including mine," said Stars General Manager Buck Rogers, whose father died of cancer. "Anything we can do to make a little less suffering for the children, we want to do. We didn't have to beg anyone to come. Everyone volunteered."

When the players - starting pitcher Mike Jones, center fielder Lorenzo Cain and relief pitcher David Johnson - arrived, Tommy rushed out to greet them. Then he dashed back into the "pool" room where the players, several Stars' staff members, and mascot, Homer the Polecat, joined him and his family.

But Tommy was just as excited to see his friend, 7-year-old Hunter Aiton, and gave him a big bear hug.

Tommy and Hunter are cancer survivors and spent months at St. Jude Children's Hospital in Memphis.

Today, they are cancer-free, but they and their families haven't forgotten the care each received in Memphis. They can now receive the same care at Huntsville Hospital, a St. Jude regional affiliate, said Beth Daniel of the clinic here.

"The children usually go to Memphis first, but now they have the option of coming here or going to Memphis for follow-up work," Daniel said.

Tommy goes to Huntsville Hospital every two months for blood work. He will turn 6 on Sept. 7 and will be a kindergartner at the Academy for Science and Foreign Language this fall.

On his fourth birthday, Tommy's tonsils were removed after he had been sick for two weeks. The next day, his parents, Dawn and Tommy Lau Sr., learned he had a rare and aggressive form of cancer, Burkitt's lymphoma, which attacks the lymph nodes.

Dawn, whose father had died five months earlier, and Tommy spent the next four months at the Target House in Memphis for cancer treatments. Her husband and daughter, Emilee, visited on weekends. Tommy Jr. arrived home Dec. 22, the day before Dawn's birthday.

"It was a great birthday present," Dawn said. "The St. Jude ward didn't open here until after we were in Memphis. We are very grateful we can now come here for blood work rather than go to Memphis. The people, all the nurses and doctors, at both places are incredibly sweet and always made sure I had whatever I needed."

Tommy and Hunter, their relatives and friends were busy for several weeks selling tickets to the Stars' benefit game.

It was Hunter's dream to hold a fundraiser to help other children with cancer, said his father, Jean Aiton. The Huntsville police officer is grateful for the support from the Stars and the Huntsville Hospital Foundation, which helped organized the game.

"Everyone involved has been pouring their hearts into it," Aiton said, "and it has been a wonderful experience."

When Rogers, the Stars' general manager, asked for volunteers to visit the hospital, Jones, a Phoenix, Ariz., native, didn't hesitate.

"Being in a hospital is not enjoyable, especially for children," Jones said. "If someone can bring a positive light to a child, it is priceless."

Jean Aiton is thankful for a community that values its police officers and firefighters, who put their lives on the line, and athletes who give their time to help encourage those in need.

Still, Hunter and Tommy are Aiton's main heroes.

"They are fighting for their life every day," he said. "They are the real heroes."

Archived