Brewer Fanatic

3/31/08 Brewers (Sheets) at Cubs (Zambrano): 1:20 PM CDT

wOOgiE22

When Fukudome hit a HR, some Cubs fans held Japanese signs "It's just an accident"

It corresponds to what Google translate "It's gonna happen", but... Japanese MLB fans burst into laugh.

Ha, funny stuff. Thanks for posting that.

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What was Prince's (prima donna?) reaction in the 9th?

How'd Billy do at 3rd / Ryan at OF?

Prince was peeved, he got the guy out at 1B and he was called safe.

Billy did very well, made a couple of nice plays. I don't even remember Braun getting the ball at all.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

The Brewers win, but Fukudome gets all the attention. The one positive thing about this is that hopefully, the Brewers won't be as pressured like the Cubs are going to be, and will play like the first place team we know they are.

in terms of "moral victory" stuff our ace outpitched theirs

Since I couldn't actually watch the game, did Sheets really outpitch Z?

No. It was basically a draw.

Sheets: 6.1 IP, 2 H, 7 K, 2BB, 0 R

Zambrano: 6.2 IP, 3 H, 5 K, 1 BB, 0 R

So, both allowed the same number of base runners. Sheets had 2 more K, one-third fewer innings.

Sheets did get hit harder overall, though. Two of Zambrano's hits were to Gwynn - the first was an infield single, the second was a bloop single.

Sheets got two more Ks and no runner got past 2nd on him...I give the edge to Big Ben

My favorite moment today was being able to turn to a Cubs fan in class behind me and tell me the final score of the game and here "Oh no..." for the rest of the period. This after he was forced to stare at my Sheets jersey all 2 1/2 hours of class.

1-0 feels good.

Just got back from the game and some thoughts I had:

1) Pretty mild for fan enthusiasm but the weather could have dampered that.

2) The Cubs fans were booing Wood pretty good.

3) The fans were very nice the whole day.

4) Sheets looked filthy as did Zambrano and Marmol.

5) Fukodome lit the stadium up in the ninth and a lot fans got in our faces. Tough break for them.

6) The stadium and grass looked good. It was my first trip there.

7) A lot of empty seats throughout the whole game.

8) Soriano=Weeks=Lost out there.

Not sure where to post this so I'll put it here...I was listening to 620 after the game and Bill Michaels was talking about Kendall batting 9th. He said something along the lines of Weeks needing to raise his OBP. hmmmm? Did anyone else hear that?

Michaels and all of the other idiots at WTMJ always spew garbage out of their mouths without looking things up and knowing what they're talking about so that wouldn't surprise me. To them batting average=on base percentage so if your batting average is low to them it clearly shows you can't get on base.

Today was almost the antidote for the Aramis walkoff last year, almost.

The only antidote would be a Ryan Braun walk-off the final game of the year to take the division. I'm pretty sure Cubs fans love him http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

The Brewers win, but Fukudome gets all the attention.

He completely deserved it.

Heralded Japanese star makes his Cubs debut by getting the only two hits off of Sheets (scorching 2B, single) plus a walk, and then ties the game with a 3-run homer in the ninth. If anyone ever deserved a lot of attention for one game, it was Mr. Fukudome.

Not sure where to post this so I'll put it here...I was listening to 620 after the game and Bill Michaels was talking about Kendall batting 9th. He said something along the lines of Weeks needing to raise his OBP. hmmmm? Did anyone else hear that?

Michaels and all of the other idiots at WTMJ always spew garbage out of their mouths without looking things up and knowing what they're talking about so that wouldn't surprise me. To them batting average=on base percentage so if your batting average is low to them it clearly shows you can't get on base.

Yeah, I was assuming he meant BA because that would make some sense at least. He said "on base percentage" more than once though implying Rickie sucks at getting on base which was kinda pissing me off. oh well

Yeah -- Prince needs to settle himself down --- he could have waived Gagne off and took the ball to the bag himself and made the ump a non-factor.

I think though -- where Prince got pissed, is when he dove for that foul grounder and the HP ump called it foul -- which it was. Then he was glaring down at the HP ump.

Boy -- if one AB is all Fukudome needs to adjust to MLB pitching -- we are going to have our hands full. I was thoroughly impressed with him.

I think Prince did tag him in time for the out, but it sure looked to me that all he had to do was step on first base. Why did he go for the tag instead?

I have no idea why Prince went for that tag. It goes against common sense in every which way.

Takes longer to go tag the runner as the base is closer, its gonna be a tie almost always because your glove is right over the bag, and there was a good chance for a collision resulting in an injury. (Probably just for Pie; running into Prince would be like running into a brick wall)

He was caught on the wrong side of the bag (in foul territory) and veered off to avoid killing Pie (who was also in foul territory), and thats why he went for the tag. I don't want to see Prince going to the bag and having a Derrick Lee broken-wrist injury.

On the things that worked, that I hope never happen again this season:

Position players bunting with two strikes.

Stealing 3b with two outs.

Good results, but terrible decisions.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

As long as Gagne can get his location down he will be fine this season. If he continues to walk guys and then have to groove fastballs down the middle to get ahead he could be in trouble.

Gagne needs to start mixing in other pitches other than his fastball. 12 of his 14 pitches leading up to the homerun were fastballs. He doesn't have that killer fastball anymore to get away with that. After he gave up the homerun only 5 of his 17 pitches were fastballs.

Archived