Brewer Fanatic

6/20/07 Giants (Zito) @ Brewers (Vargas): 1:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
Quote:
rightie batter looked better vs. Sanchez' splits...oh well...end it...

Oh, well.

Why would you pinch-hit for Counsell? What sense would that make? If CoCo blows this save, you're going to need some bench players for the 15th inning.

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
I'd say he did just that.

I wouldn't go that far. There were many better results than a walk there. Of course, it's better than an out that wouldn't score a run. In fact, a lot of hitters would walk in that situation since they'll usually pitch around a guy to set up the double play.

In all, it's a good at bat, but nothing special to say he showed why he was kept up.

Keep in mind this is the Giants we are talking about, they are not exactly the sharpest team in the NL right now. Not taking away from the Brewers wins this series, but most of their hitters are hitting well below the .300 line and they don't have much on the bench.

Quote:
I wouldn't go that far. There were many better results than a walk there. Of course, it's better than an out that wouldn't score a run. In fact, a lot of hitters would walk in that situation since they'll usually pitch around a guy to set up the double play.

In all, it's a good at bat, but nothing special to say he showed why he was kept up.

I didn't mean he had a spectacular AB or anything. Just that the fact that he can get on base is why he's still on this team.

The Giants have 4 guys who are .290+, they might not string hits together to score runs, but their hitters aren't terrible.

BALLGAME!

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

The Giants have 4 guys who are .290+, they might not string hits together to score runs, but their hitters aren't terrible.

That's not a very good way to try and gauge the strength of their offense. Heck, one of those guys has 22 AB. When you have a .718 team OPS and Bonds is included, you don't have much going for you.

I didn't include Schierholtz because he only had 22 ABs. Though I did include Alfonzo by accident as I was looking at his OBP and not his average, my mistake.

They hit for decent average, they just hit for no power as a team, after Bonds who's SLG is impressive as always, the best SLG are mid 400s.

The Brewers on the other hand currently have Fielder, Braun, Jenkins, Hardy, and Hart all SLG more than .500. I don't want to bag on Gwynn, but that's what they have, a bunch of decent Average guys with low OBPs and low SLG.

That being said, they still managed a their fair share of HRs in the series.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived