Brewer Fanatic

Brewers to possibly leave WTMJ after 2008? [Latest: contract renewed (reply #35)]

PeaveyFury
I'm also on board with keeping it at WTMJ. It really does seem to me almost anywhere I drive in the state I can tune my radio to 620 and get a pretty good signal. For that reason alone I hope they keep with them. But as long as Uecker and Powell do the games I will be happy I guess.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I think there's no way Journal Communications will let the Brewers go. I do hope they have to pay more money for them, though. I think they will, just to keep the prestige of being the "Packers, Brewers, Bucks, Badgers flagship".

As far as FSN, it's been said that the current TV contract with the Brewers goes through 2011 (thanks again, Wendy), so in theory the Brewers should see a huge revenue jump before 2012 that could possibly help them keep some of their young star players. Maybe someone else has the numbers, but I've heard even teams like the Royals get something like 10 times the amount of TV revenue that the Brewers do.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

i think they need to leave WTMJ, i understand that the signals elsewhere are bad, but WTMJ has a monopoly in Wisconsin, and it is wrong, I don't understand why someone hasn't done something in the past. The GREEN BAY Packers, are not from Milwaukee, they are from GREEN BAY, the flagship should be in Green Bay. The Wisconsin Badgers flagship should be in Madison, it is ridiculous, and I don't see why it has taken so long for someone to compete with them. Marquette, even though I am a Wisconsin fan first, should be on WTMJ, the Eagles can hardly be heard on the radio in Milwaukee because WAUK is so bad. There are not many states that have one station for all their sports, and I don't get why we do. I understand that is the Brewers moved to WSSP the signal wouldn't go far, but it is crap that the MILWAUKEE Brewers get kicked off on some days when the GREEN BAY Packers are playing. The station is in MILWAUKEE.

I have never heard of 1480 AM in Philadelphia have the Phillies game kicked off to hear the Pittsburgh Steelers preseason...I know that is a little different, but Green Bay has its own sports, and Milwaukee had theirs...

One other thing that the article touches on that is probably a valid point is that if WISN picks up the Brewers, they're considerably more likely to devote more on-air time to the Brewers outside of game broadcasts. WTMJ isn't currently bumping programming for anything outside of the games and Powell's pre-game and post-game shows. Having a lengthy WSSP-like pre and post-game show could certainly be doable with a different flagship.

One other thing that the article touches on that is probably a valid point is that if WISN picks up the Brewers, they're considerably more likely to devote more on-air time to the Brewers outside of game broadcasts. WTMJ isn't currently bumping programming for anything outside of the games and Powell's pre-game and post-game shows. Having a lengthy WSSP-like pre and post-game show could certainly be doable with a different flagship.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. WISN has made it pretty clear their focus is on politics/news talk. That's one of the reasons they lost MU Basketball... they bumped Homer to 9-11 PM for Sean Hannity, and only allowed 15 mins or so for pre and post game. Not to mention there was no promotion or talk on the station. They went to a weaker signal, but a station where they would have much more coverage/promotion outside of games.

The only stations that would give this kind of thing are the two sports stations, and to an extent TMJ. I think they're best suited at TMJ.

it would be nice it Mark can get a full time tv station since Fox sports wisc will not be a regular Fox sports station for a while

Um...what?

As far as WAUK or WSSP regularly carrying the Brewers, that would be a gigantic coup, which is why it won't happen. I happen to listen to each from time to time, but in terms of ratings and advertising income, neither is anywhere close to WTMJ's league. In a way, that is too bad, because either one would make the Brewers their crown jewel in terms of programming, and probably devote quite a bit of airtime to Brewers talk, as already noted in this thread. Heck, both of them already do, to an extent. WTMJ has gotten better with the Brewers talk in the last year or so, in my opinion, but you still get the feeling that the Brewers are treated like the ugly stepchild compared to the Packers.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

i think they need to leave WTMJ, i understand that the signals elsewhere are bad, but WTMJ has a monopoly in Wisconsin, and it is wrong, I don't understand why someone hasn't done something in the past. The GREEN BAY Packers, are not from Milwaukee, they are from GREEN BAY, the flagship should be in Green Bay. The Wisconsin Badgers flagship should be in Madison, it is ridiculous, and I don't see why it has taken so long for someone to compete with them. Marquette, even though I am a Wisconsin fan first, should be on WTMJ, the Eagles can hardly be heard on the radio in Milwaukee because WAUK is so bad. There are not many states that have one station for all their sports, and I don't get why we do. I understand that is the Brewers moved to WSSP the signal wouldn't go far, but it is crap that the MILWAUKEE Brewers get kicked off on some days when the GREEN BAY Packers are playing. The station is in MILWAUKEE.
The Packers must have a flagship in Milwaukee. The NFL considers Milwaukee a primary market for the Packers (the only primary market without an NFL team) for two reasons: the Packers used to play in MKE and the Packers depend on Milwaukee. So, all Packers games must be broadcasted on local TV without interruption in MKE and they must have a flagship station here, too.

I agree, though. WAUK is pathetic.

Good news.

The Brewers should press JRN to get more affiliates for the network, because it is tough to pick up WTMJ during the daytime when you get too far away from Milwaukee. I have to think there's a way to fill the dead spots that exist.

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

• 2 weeks later...
Way back when many or most radios didn't have FM, it was important to put broadcasts on AM. That's not the case anymore. As a matter of fact, FM signal strength and sound quality give it an advantage over most AM stations.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Way back when many or most radios didn't have FM, it was important to put broadcasts on AM. That's not the case anymore. As a matter of fact, FM signal strength and sound quality give it an advantage over most AM stations.

Yeah I know that (Im getting a degree in broadcasting). But a rock FM station in this day and age having a chance to be the flagship for a MLB team seems crazy to me. I could see if it was a Sports Talk FM station which are around, but not a classic rock FM station. Just seems odd.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Well, WIBA-FM (a classic rock station) carries the Packers and Badgers in Madison, so it's not that crazy.

The Brew actually does a decent amount of Brewers tie-ins with their promotions, as I recall, so it could have made sense in that aspect. To be honest, I don't listen to that station much...I did when they first came on and seemed really unique, now they just seem like another watered down classic rock hits station.

Archived