Brewer Fanatic

Brewers to possibly leave WTMJ after 2008? [Latest: contract renewed (reply #35)]

PeaveyFury

Per the JS, the Brewers are seriously considering bids from two broadcast groups- Journal Broadcast Group (WTMJ as flagship) and Clear Channel (WISN as flagship) to have the rights to the Brewers broadcasts starting in 2009.

It'd be very interesting if they should return to WISN after their stint in the early-80's, as Uecker is a Brewer employee, while Jim Powell works for WTMJ, if I remember correctly.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=733193

That goes for FSN as well.
Considering the flaws in the Nielsen ratings that dramatically undervalued the amount of viewers per Brewer games and the general increase in interest around the state for the Milwaukee Brewers.....

FSN is going to end up paying a lot more for the Brewers going forward. That is a big reason why we are going to be able to afford some of our young players.

I like WTMJ. But I would bet Powell could be bought by the Brewers if needed. More money = better players.

Id agree with Brian there. One of my nicest pleasures is going up to my cabin in Iron Mountain and finding the broadcast on the radio. Its not 620, cause its FM, but it is WTMJ.

Id miss that.

What has displeased me about WTMJ is the absolutely bogus job they've done in assembling the statewide network. There are people outstate who are shut out, even though local stations in their areas would be happy to carry the games.

As far as Jim Powell goes, I think he'd be part of the package no matter who carries the games.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

FSN is going to end up paying a lot more for the Brewers going forward. That is a big reason why we are going to be able to afford some of our young players.

To bad FSN has the Brewers over a barrel until 2012.

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

FSN is going to end up paying a lot[/u] more for the Brewers going forward. That is a big reason why we are going to be able to afford some of our young players.

Where are you getting this from? Its my understanding that Wendy signed a terrible deal with FSN locking us in for the next 4-5 years.

It'd be a shame for them to move away from 620 AM, since their transmitter is so powerful. I'm not sure what reach WISN has, but I've always enjoyed being able to listen to 620 AM from most places in the state.

I know there are issues with the statewide network, but truthfully, how many places in the state that are without an affiliate are able to get WTMJ? Otherwise, you can get the game through a local station and wouldn't need to rely on 620. As the article mentions, the power of the station is less important now a days than some of the other factors.

It'd be a shame for them to move away from 620 AM, since their transmitter is so powerful. I'm not sure what reach WISN has, but I've always enjoyed being able to listen to 620 AM from most places in the state.

I know there are issues with the statewide network, but truthfully, how many places in the state that are without an affiliate are able to get WTMJ? Otherwise, you can get the game through a local station and wouldn't need to rely on 620. As the article mentions, the power of the station is less important now a days than some of the other factors.

I can get WTMJ on my car radio while in Central Wisconsin, so I can certainly believe it's possible to find areas where the local affiliates are out of reach, yet WTMJ comes in loud and clear.

Regardless of which station wins the contract, just having a second bidder is going to mean more money for the club. IIRC, Clear Channel didn't bid on the last contract (not wanting to preempt Limbaugh and Belling for every afternoon game).

The one and only time I ever spoke to Bud Selig was in 1981 when I called the Brewers office to complain about the switch to WISN because it's weak signal did not even go into northern suburbs of Chicago. Believe it or not, whoever answered the phone after hearing my complaint asked me if I wanted to speak directly to Bud. Lo and behold, within a minute or two, I was talking to the owner of the Brewers. Bud was very understanding and I think he realized it was a mistake to go to such a weak flagship. After the two year contract ran out with WISN, they went back to WTMJ.

I think the Brewers realize that it doesn't hurt them one bit to be able to penetrate a market with 7 million people including a lot of transplants with Wisconsin ties.

The advantage WTMJ offers is that it can be received in Chicago. It may or may not help in areas beyond southern Wisconsin. If it does help, it should be considered nothing but a bonus.

The problem outstate is that WTMJ has the privilege of putting together the network. The prime example is that it dropped longtime affiliates like Marshfield and Wisconsin Rapids under guise that these people were capable of receiving Wausau's WSAU.

There are two problems with that. The main one is that these people can't get that station. Secondarily, WSAU farms out all weekday games to a very weak station on Wausau's AM dial.

The Chicago issue is probably going to be hard to address without sticking to WTMJ. The areas of southern Wisconsin that might lose some coverage can be taken care of by adding more stations to the network.

The issues outstate can be addressed with a contract that welcomes stations rather than excluding them. That can happen no matter who the flagship is. Heck, if the Brewers wanted to, they could set up the network themselves rather than giving the flagship station that right.

There's nothing wrong with double-covering an area, either. A few more FM stations here and there would help people in AM fringe areas. A decade or so ago, listeners used to have that, and they still do with Packer broadcasts.

For those that are superstitious, and most ballplayers are, try this nugget. WISN was the flagship in 81 and 82, then Bud went back to TMJ. What are special about those years? Those are also the only two years the franchise has ever reached the post season. Also, it was WISN that thought it was a good idea to convince other stations in the state to carry the Brewers, for a small fee to WISN. Thus, the creation of the Brewers Radio Network.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

So they are currently getting $2M a year. I doubt that it will make much of an impact even if that doubles. Maybe a reliever.

I am not sure if these stations brodcast all Brewers games, but here is a link. Something to try if 620 isn't coming in.

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/mil/schedule/radio_network.jsp

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The issues outstate can be addressed with a contract that welcomes stations rather than excluding them.

Yeah, and you'd think that with them actually doing well, there'd definitely be interest from some stations out there to add them.

Outstate = within a state, but outside of the major metropolitan areas.

As far as out of state goes, radio restrictions seem to be much looser than TV restrictions--if there are any at all. When WTMJ dropped the Wisconsin Rapids station, it started picking up Cubs games.

My preference would be for the Brewers to remain with WTMJ because I like the strong signal and I also like the idea of the Brewers having a relationship with the company that runs the local newspaper. I think that's important in terms of publicity and cross-promotion.

But I also agree that competition is good and hopefully the Brewers can make more money now.

Archived