Brewer Fanatic

Doug Davis has Thyroid Cancer

Teatoe993

Little blurb about it in the AZ paper...

Davis diagnosed with thyroid cancer

Nick Piecoro

The Arizona Republic

Mar. 28, 2008 02:17 PM

Diamondbacks left-hander Doug Davis has been diagnosed with thyroid cancer, team President Derrick Hall confirmed Friday afternoon.

Hall said Davis is planning to make his scheduled start at Chase Field tonight but will address the media at some point today, either before or after.

Davis is expected to make his next few starts, Hall said, before undergoing surgery sometime within the next three weeks.

"We're not sure about the timetable after that," Hall said. "We're deeply saddened and concerned for Doug but we're still in the process of collecting facts and applying that to timing."

There are 18,000 cases of thyroid cancer annually in the U.S., according to webmd.com, and most patients are cured or live many years with the disease. The thyroid is located in the front of the neck.

Formerly AirShuttle6104

Best of luck to Doug. The good news is that thyroid cancer has incredibly high cure rates, but treatment can take a toll -- surgery first, then may need radioactive iodine to get rid of remaining, and then he'll have to adjust to thyroid replacement.

I actually submitted a 'thoughts and prayers' message through the Dbacks 'contact us' portion of the website. I don't know if it will ever actually make it to Sharpie, but it seems like the type of thing that the team would look to pass along.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if anyone caught it, but I was searching through the MLB extra innings and watching some games tonight. I happened to catch Doug pitching in his last game before surgery. He pitched a decent game. When he got the last out on the inning when his pitch count was ihigh he got a large standing ovation and a curtain call.

I'm not a Jeff Kent fan, but he was on second when the inning ended - and he went out of his way to go give Doug a pat on the back as he walked to the dugout. It was a cool thing to see. I was always was a fan of Doug - and I wish him the best. Thoughts and prayers are with him.

great game for him. I always wish we kept him. hope everything turns our for him.

What's the most amazing part of his night? Doug was 2-2 with an RBI tonight. in 2004 with the brewers he was 1 for 64 with 0 RBI and a .016 batting average.

I was diagnosed with this form of cancer about 2 years ago when I was 31. Mine had actually spread to two lymph nodes as well, which is what lead to my diagnosis. The great news is that it isn't particularly dangerous, especially compared to other forms of cancer.

Archived