Brewer Fanatic

Why Gwynn?

DrWood

Ned seems set on having Anthony start most of the games in CF in the time B.C. (Before Cameron). While I have no problem with this happening some of the time, I wonder what it would take to give some starts to Gross (in CF or RF) or Dillon (in RF, Moving Hart to CF)?
Let Gwynn PH for the pitcher and be the late-inning defensive replacement!

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, I think it has a lot to do with actually 'seeing what they got' in Gwynn. I'm not too optimistic on his ceiling at all, but you never know, with an everyday job, he might blossom? I won't hold my breath, but this really could have a lot to do in showcasing him as far as a future trade.

Why not Gwynn?? Why does everyone on this board think he is not capable of being a big-leaguer?? He is a better overall outfielder than Gabe friggin Gross? You don't want to screw with Corey at this point, just leave him in right, and let Tony Jr. play.

I think the paper today said that Gwynn would start against righties and Kaplar against lefties. For 25 games, it shouldn't hurt the team much at all. Their defense will help cover for Braun's learning curve.

Why does everyone on this board think he is not capable of being a big-leaguer??

First of all, it's not even close to being "everyone" - there are many posters here who have faith in TGJ.

Why, though? A .272/.350/.344/.694 career line over 1850+ minor-league ABs. That doesn't translate well to MLB equivalents at all... which makes his MLB career line of .260/.317/.315/.622 completely unsurprising.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

He has had exactly 200 at bats in the big leagues. I dont think any one here knows what he is capable of. besides if he gets into a slump, he can call the best hitting coach around

And there we have it. 'He's good/can become good because his dad was good.' Gwynn Jr. has done nothing either in the minors or majors to suggest that he's due for a huge improvement. He is what he is, basically a one-tool player (maybe 2 if you're feeling generous on his glovework)... a decent choice as a 4th or 5th OF, but not close to being a good starting option.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Gwynn simulates defensively what Cameron brings to the table. I can't argue too much with trying to keep the defensive positioning as consistent as possible (with Gwynn's range helping Ryan out until Cameron can get there). It also has the side benefit of showcasing him for a trade in case he's the one to go when Cameron comes off the suspended list, but I don't think that factored into the decision.

Personally, I can't believe that he is gonna get the most playing time. The team needs to put out the best players possible, and 25 games does make a difference.

First, Gwynn is putrid with the bad. PECOTA projects him at .251/.321/.344 in the major leagues. Gross on the other hand, has a projected line of .267/.366/.467.

Gwynn is fast. But unfortunately he's not that great of a baserunner. The best baserunning statistic out there is Dan Fox's EqBRR. In 05 he was -1.4 runs, in 06 +3.4 runs, in 07 completely average. Gross, the last three years has had positive baserunning runs at +1.6 last year, +2.5, and +.9.

Gwynn's defense has been praised by many. However, FRAA has 0 runs above average, for the past three years. Gross, is seen as an average fielder by other systems.

With all those combined, it's not even a contest. Gross is significatly better, and although the difference will be around 5 or so runs over the course of 25 games, it's stupid to play Gwynn over Gross.

He has had exactly 200 at bats in the big leagues. I dont think any one here knows what he is capable of. besides if he gets into a slump, he can call the best hitting coach around

But we've seen plenty in the minors, so there is solid indication of his ability. As for having access to his dad, sure it'll help, but it only gets you so far. I could spend a year under the tutelage of the ghost of Ted Williams and still emerge a .200 hitter...against 15 year-olds.

But we've seen plenty in the minors, so there is solid indication of his ability. As for having access to his dad, sure it'll help, but it only gets you so far. I could spend a year under the tutelage of the ghost of Ted Williams and still emerge a .200 hitter...against 15 year-olds.

That's not what Angels in the Outfield taught me!

Defensively, I haven't heard too many guys disagree that TGJ is pretty solid. He's got a pretty good arm, speed, and that will help with Braun learning LF. The arguments have been about hitting. Whether he can or can't. And the only way to find out is to give him a chance. If he proves he can hit decently, you've got a solid backup. If he doesn't, you send him back down or trade him.

Why give him a chance when we have somebody better?

Who? Hart? He's got the speed and can play an OK centerfield, but then who play right? You're weaking yourself in that position. Gross in center? He's not a natural centerfield, and I'd rather have him in right. So, my thought is keep Hart in right, and let Gwynn and Kapler split time in center.

Who? Hart? He's got the speed and can play an OK centerfield, but then who play right? You're weaking yourself in that position. Gross in center? He's not a natural centerfield, and I'd rather have him in right. So, my thought is keep Hart in right, and let Gwynn and Kapler split time in center.

Aren't we using our best pitchers? Why should it be any different in the outfield? Gross is better than both Gwynn and Kapler so he should be getting the playing time. Gwynn sucks.

And there we have it. 'He's good/can become good because his dad was good.' Gwynn Jr. has done nothing either in the minors or majors to suggest that he's due for a huge improvement. He is what he is, basically a one-tool player (maybe 2 if you're feeling generous on his glovework)... a decent choice as a 4th or 5th OF, but not close to being a good starting option.

Nobody's being "generous" by calling him a very good defensive Centerfielder. Gwynn absolutely is a very good defensive OF'er.

Second, he's "never done anything in the minors to suggest he's due for a huge improvement"? .300/.360 in AAA as a 23 year old. That's "something".

And nobody said he was good because of his dad. Not in this instance they didn't, that's a shot that was locked and loaded no matter what was said. That was an aside to the conversation, and afterthought, and frankly, I didn't take it as though he was being serious.

I've argued against those who think he should be a starter right now, but it's equally absurd to label him as simply an extra OF'er for his entire career. He's shown signs of improvement, and if he can post anything like what he did in AAA in 06 at 23 years old, he'll be a very serviceable CF'er in the big leagues.

Aren't we using our best pitchers? Why should it be any different in the outfield? Gross is better than both Gwynn and Kapler so he should be getting the playing time. Gwynn sucks.

Gross isn't a CF'er, and our emphasis is suppose to be on defense this year.

Man, I know that it can get old arguing at times that Gwynn ISN'T a sure fire HOF'er, but to say that he sucks as this point in time is overstated.

200 Big league At-Bat's. Let's relax before we say the kid can't play at all.

Archived