Brewer Fanatic

How do independent minor leagues work ?

Big Reed

I'm moving again . In two months we will be living near Carbondale / Marion Il. They have a brand new stadium and a team that's one year old and plays in the independent Fronteir league. I noticed Rockford and some other familier name teams also play in this same league. I also noticed El Paso is now an independent minor league team. I t would appear that the teams in this league used to be part of other minor league systems, but have lost their major league sponsorship. I would think a tea m like marion built its new stadium with the hopes of becoming a minor league team for some system. but then again, they look to be fairly profitable as an independent team.

I was wondering how these independent teams acquire their players? and what happens to the ones who become stars? The league looks like it is either Low A or High A. I could see where the local SIU players might try out after their college days are over. if a team like the brewers had two catchers a t the same Class A level, would they loan out one catcher to an independent leageu team so that both players would get their fair share of at bats? Do independent teams make trades with other minor league teams or major league organizations? I recall huntsville acquired an independent pitcher a couple of years ago, but I forgot the details. Do independent team players tend to stay the entire year? or do they get called up and sold to other teams in mid season? Do the independent teams als o go down South for Spring training? Do they compete against the minor league camps?

Is a team like Rockford or El Paso better off as an independent team? or are they just biding their time trying to latch back on with a major league farm system? I was kind of wondering what would have happened to the Beloit Trappers if the Twins hadn't signed them. Would they have become an independent team? or would that have just folded and gone out of business? Whatever became of the Madison muskies? I remember them being a farm team for Oakland a long time ago. Did they just fold?

independent teams are A- teams, at best. Their players come from wherever they can get them, but most have some minor league experience. The "stars", if they have any real talent, typically get sold to an affiliated team eventually. Several brewer farmhands have been with independent teams.

I live in Winnipeg Canada home of the Winnipeg Goldeyes the number one independant franchise in baseball for getting players back into affiliated ball over the years and we are always near the top for attendance.

Each independant league works differently in regards to the number of veterans etc.

Notables to sign out of the Northern League and go onto MLB careers include Jeff Zimmerman in Texas, Bobby Madritsh in Seattle who both had career ending injuries, Chris Coste came out of Fargo and George Sherril who was signed by Seattle out of Winnipeg almost as an afterthought when half the teams in MLB where in town fighting to sign Madritsch.

Players from previous June Draft's who have held out for more money pitch in Independent ball until they get signed for the money they want at times.

Indy players are completely separate from anything to do with Major League Baseball. So unless someone says otherwise if the Brewers have 2 catchers or extra catchers, they would NOT loan them to an Indy club under any circumstances.

"I recall huntsville acquired an independent pitcher a couple of years ago, but I forgot the details"

It's not really acquired, you make it sound like there was a transaction between the 2 clubs. Essentially the Indy players have agents or they represent themselves, and some Major League teams' scouts go to these Indy games, if they like a player, they'll talk to them, and the club will try to sign the player.

A good example would be when you work at your job, a customer comes in and says "Hey I work at X place, I'll offer you this", as far as I know, theirs no contract, or if their is, I believe the player can break it. But I could be wrong on that half, - I'm pretty sure it's year to year if their is any contract.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Indy players are "acquired" by MLB organizations in that their contracts are bought out from the independent league club -- certainly this fee is not extravagant, and indy league teams never stand in the way of these buyouts, as it's a source of pride for the indy organization. However, the indy team does retain the player's rights should the player be subsequently released by the affiliated club.

The only point I'd disagree with thus far is that most indy players have had stints in affiliated ball. The actual number is probably closer to only 20%, if that.

There are currently eight independent leagues based in the U.S., with some (Atlantic, Can-Am, Northern, Frontier, American Association) being considered more advanced that others (Golden, South Coast, Continental). At best, think West Virginia (maybe on a good day). On average, think Helena (without the high draft pick talent).

Different leagues have different rules on players. For instance the Northern League groups players by experience level. Each team is limited on how many guys they can carry from each level. I believe they are also required to carry several guys with no affiliated experience. You'd be surprised how many pretty decent college players don't get drafted at all and end up in indy leagues. I live not too far from Schaumburg, and recall seing former Brewer Jack Voight playing for them in 2000.

Indy leagues are great. 30 years ago they didn't exist. I knew a guy back then who was around 20 or 21. He played in "semi-pro" leagues around Chicago but was really too good for them. One spring he went to Florida looking to catch on with a minor league club. He got plenty of teams to look at him, but one scout told him he had AA potential, but they were only interested in guys with major league potential. He would have been perfect for an indy league.

Briggs is correct, many top players in college never play pro ball, because they lack speed and overall athletic ability.

If I were Mark A, one of the first things I'd do is try and add a rookie or short A team and stock it almost exclusively with non-drafted college seniors and pay them $5K each to sign. For about $125K (that's like a 5th round pick, I think) and whatever it costs to run a team for 3 months, you'd get 3-5 guys to move up to West Virginia each year. For the most part, you'd probably get a soft-tossing pitcher and a RH bat that can hit but not run much that made it to the bigs every once in a while.

Archived