Brewer Fanatic

More Credence to Opening At Miller, Not Wrigley.

lcbj68c

I'm going to the game Monday, and I am really worried that it's going to be cancelled because I'm missing the first day back from spring break (and of course, more importantly baseball practice http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif). If the game was postponed, would they move it to Tuesday, or later into the Summer because that could cause a lot of complications.

Junior year's starting to heat up so I can't afford to miss too many days the rest of the way.

cubfan1126 is definitely a welcome addition to this board. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Adding to what obsessed said about mechanical issues, the Brewers were limited to doing manual roof closures during all of 2006 and part of 2007. Instead of being able to close the roof in about 10 minutes, closures took 20 minutes or more.

If the roof can be closed in 10 minutes, it's pretty safe to spot weather coming and then react. 20 minutes is too long. The team had to close the roof when it thought there might be inclement weather. That shouldn't be the case anymore.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

brewcrewkid14, Tuesday is built into the schedule as a make-up day. It's pretty typical to "protect" Opening Day like that in cities that stand a good chance of having lousy April weather.

I am loving this thread. But I also agree that having at least one regular Cubs fan around is a welcome addition. Just don't tell your Cubbie lovin friends.

I just hope there's baseball involving the Crew on Monday.

As for Miller Park, I remember going to the first home night game at County Stadium for the '99 season. The announced attendance was in the quad-digits(8k or something). It was pretty much unbearable. And the weather was awful too.

cubfan1126 wrote:

What's the point of a retractable roof if it's not open on a georgeous night?

My question has to be, why are you looking at the sky when there is a baseball game right in front of you? To be honest I never notice wether the roof is open or not.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

If the Cubs fan is applying to virtue, then have him explain the folks who come late and leave early, so that they can't miss their Yakzzie's spot. The Cubs are the *%*+! of Babylon. Sorry that I don't have any gemuchlicheit. I'm Polish.

(Language violation: It's the member's responsibility to preview posts so the cuss filter doesn't kick in. --1992)

cubfan1126 wrote:

What's the point of a retractable roof if it's not open on a georgeous night?

My question has to be, why are you looking at the sky when there is a baseball game right in front of you? To be honest I never notice wether the roof is open or not.

I notice when the roof is closed because it gets incredibly hot when it's closed in the summer and it's hard to sit and be comfortable. I love baseball and when I go to a game I rarely miss a pitch but if it's hot, humid and the roof is closed so there isn't a breeze to help cool you off then it is really hard to sit and have a good time.

Rp

When the stadium was built, it was made so air conditioning could be installed if it was wanted down the road. But the problem is that air conditioned stadiums need a couple of hours or more to cool down. If the roof were closed because a storm was coming in a few minutes, the air conditioning wouldn't do any good anyway.

I notice when the roof is closed because it gets incredibly hot when it's closed in the summer and it's hard to sit and be comfortable. I love

baseball and when I go to a game I rarely miss a pitch but if it's hot, humid and the roof is closed so there isn't a breeze to help cool you off then

it is really hard to sit and have a good time.

Rp

I noticed at County when it was so cold early and late in the season that I didn't want to go to the game, that I was content in watching it on TV. I also noticed when the games were rained out, or even snowed out as they were in Cleveland last year. I noticed that Cleveland decided to come up and play their games where weather was not a deciding factor in whether or not the game was played.

I guess you can't please everyone.

I would like to know who the genius was that has the Brewers opening up in Chicago, then coming back to Chicago again at the at of April, while the Cubs don't play in Milwaukee till the end of July. Here's an idea, I know it might sound radical, but how about the Brewers open up at home against the Cubs, then you still have the Brewers going down to Chicago at the end of April and have that July series in Chicago. Sure you can get rain and bad weather in July, but you don't have to potentially deal with snow. And it's almost a guarantee that you're going to have to deal with cold weather. I mean, if the Brewers are going to have to go back to Chicago anyway to play at the end of April, it would have made sense for the Brewers to open up at home.

Like Brian, I took the day off tomorrow and now it looks like there is a good chance they won't be able to play tomorrow. And I have to work till 8 on Tuesday, so if it's moved to Tuesday I won't be able to catch the game at all. Agh!!

When the stadium was built, it was made so air conditioning could be installed if it was wanted down the road. But the problem is that air conditioned stadiums need a couple of hours or more to cool down. If the roof were closed because a storm was coming in a few minutes, the air conditioning wouldn't do any good anyway.

Do they do anything right now to relieve the stagnant air? Right now when they close the roof, it gets so humid and their is zero air flow. That's what makes it the worse, it feels like zero air is being exchanged with the outside world. Even if it took 2 hours to properly cool the stadium to a 70, anything.. and I mean anything to help remove the humidty in that place slightly would be a great addition.

Thanx to those of you that said you like having me around.

We do have our own site on ezboard/yuku (though it is first and foremost a Bears site) When I first came over here, I explained that I like going to other teams' sites just to read and give opposing viewpoints. (in a civil manner)

Thanx also for all the explanations about the roof - I wasn't watching the roof instead of the game, I was watching it close before the game on a gorgeous night and did not know why. And yes it was very muggy inside. I understand the need for roofs - I just don't like them. Though I must admit being inside the Silverdome when it was snowing and inside the Astrodome when the outside temp was in the upper 90's was a little more comfortable that outdoors would have been.

As far as explaining arriving late to Wrigley - 2 reasons - 1 - some people that come just aren't fans but come for the appearance/experience. Personally, I also wish they would stay away. 2 - Traffic and parking - it sucks.

Reasons for leaving early - again 2 - 1 - When beer sales cease 7th (night games) or 8th (day games) inning head across the street. 2 - During a blow-out, head across the street, the beer is cheaper.

The only time I have left early was an opening day in 2004 - it was a blow out loss and wind chill was in the teens.

As of 1:21 CT, MLB is 1/4 in getting games in. TOR/NYY is delayed (should have been in Toronto) and the Cubs and Reds home openers are delayed as well. Maybe we should have just played all games in Comerica Park today. That makes about as much sense. Down here in Phoenix.....76 and sunny. The Dbacks/Reds should be here, the Brewers/Cubs should be in Milwaukee and the Jays/Yanks should be in Toronto. The schedulers should be fired.

I notice when the roof is closed because it gets incredibly hot when it's closed in the summer and it's hard to sit and be comfortable. I love

baseball and when I go to a game I rarely miss a pitch but if it's hot, humid and the roof is closed so there isn't a breeze to help cool you off then

it is really hard to sit and have a good time.

Rp

I noticed at County when it was so cold early and late in the season that I didn't want to go to the game, that I was content in watching it on TV. I also noticed when the games were rained out, or even snowed out as they were in Cleveland last year. I noticed that Cleveland decided to come up and play their games where weather was not a deciding factor in whether or not the game was played.

I guess you can't please everyone.

Well I actually enjoy Miller Park a lot. I was only mentioning noticing when the roof is closed because it's hard not to in the really hot summer days when they close it.

Rp

Archived