Brewer Fanatic

6/23/07 Royals (Bannister) @ Brewers (Bush): 6:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prospect or not, there was no chance Gwynn would have the offensive production to justify starting in RF. He needs to start in CF to have value and he's blocked.

Hey look, there's a Brewer game on and they won again! 19-21 run since their great start, though. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

Funny you mention Suppan, we were talking about what to do with him today if he ends up being the worst pitcher on the staff. Villy and Yo are up, Villy is a STARTER longterm in my opinion. We'll have to see how things shake out, but that's a tough contract to move if you want to.

edit. The best part of this weekend is I'll be at the game tomorrow to watch Yo in person.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Quote:
Prospect or not, there was no chance Gwynn would have the offensive production to justify starting in RF. He needs to start in CF to have value and he's blocked

I agree. But at the time, Gwynn was the best option option to play in the outfield and hit at the top of the order. Hart had an OBP in the .320's. The other two outfielders were Mench and Gross. Hart has since exploded. Hall can always move to corner outfield. He's changed positions about 4 times already to accomodate the team, what's one more?

Doug Jones, I already talked extensively about why I thought Gwynn Jr. was a prospect.

While I disagree with your reasoning, I respect that you actually outlined a series of points debating the common criticisms of Gwynn.

Do you really think the fact that other teams have been able to win with weak hitters in their lineups is really a good endorsement for Gwynn though? I don't. You actually made the argument that the Cards and Marlins won "in spite" of Eckstein and Pierre. If you're winning in spite of something, that means you'd be better off without it.

When I said in spite of, I meant it sarcastically.

Fair enough. I would have meant it literally. I wouldn't want Pierre or Eckstein on my team. I think Gwynn projects similarly to Pierre, although he hasn't been able to steal bases nearly as well.

The best part of this weekend is I'll be at the game tomorrow to watch Yo in person.

I'm beginning to think Sunday's game will have a record number of bf.net posters at it.

Even pitchleague!

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I didn't get to watch the game tonight and I was wondering what in the world happened with this play that happened in the top of the 2nd:

Tony F. Pena: Foul, Ball, Strike swinging, Ball, Pena popped out to shortstop, Shealy out at second.

Second night in a row I've TIVOd the game and watched the next morning. Man, how enjoyable have the first two games of this Royals series been? Everything is going the Crew's way again.

Agree with pebadger about the call after the slo-mo replay of the deflected pitch that Estrada took square in the jewels. Great deadpan by Schroeder.

By the way, as great as it is to be a Brewer fan right now, pretty pathetic that this thread turned into a debate about Tony freaking Gwynn. I'm embarrassed on behalf of those who perpetuated it. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

Archived