Brewer Fanatic

6/24/07 Royals (Perez) @ Brewers (Gallardo): 1:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
Mench is one of the worst hitters in baseball against righties, there is absolutely no reason not to do it late in the game. This is a mistake he makes over and over and he needs to realize that Mench just cannot hit righties at all.

So the double off the righty in the 10th means nothing?

I think Ned knows more about his personnel than anyone around here.

Just because you would do it...doesnt make it universally correct.

Quote:

So the double off the righty in the 10th means nothing?

I think Ned knows more about his personnel than anyone around here.

Just because you would do it...doesnt make it universally correct.

When you have an option on the bench that is much more consistently successful against right handed pitchers (as well as a defensive improvement) the double means nothing to me. The hindsight of Mench randomly getting a hit (as he's bound to do at some point) against righties doesn't change the fact that over the course of the season, that is a situation that Jenkins is more likely to succeed in.

Another terrible decision by Yost. Leaving Capellan in for one inning throwing solely high 80's fastballs was enough. 2 innings is just preposterous. So was not pinch hitting Gross to start that inning for Mench. There was a mountain of evidence warning against those decisions. You've got to play the numbers. It doesn't matter what actually resulted and the hindsight. There are right and wrong decisions. The more incorrect decisions as a manager you make obviously the better chance you have of allowing your team to get stung.

I guess I would put myself in the "Yost supporters" camp overall. But his in-game management today has been atrocious, in my uneducated opinion. I try not to look at things with the benefit of hindsight (which can be hard) but I've been scratching my head all day.

I have absolutely no doubt that every brewer goes up to the plate or plays the field with an intense desire to win... but in games like today, it seems like Ned is making decisions based more on the desire not to lose, which can be a different attitude, I think. Sometimes you have to go for the throat.

Archived