Brewer Fanatic

6/24/07 Royals (Perez) @ Brewers (Gallardo): 1:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We've lost a lot more games lately which we should have won than the other way around. 1 or 2 at Texas, @ Minnesota, this game. We should be about 13 or 15 over. At least with the Texas game, what could you do when Coco blew it. I feel like this loss, as well as the loss @ Philly earlier this year; was avoidable. Those are the must frustrating for me personally because of the decisions Yost made.

The good: Yo looked good.

The bad: The soft underbelly of our bullpen (Capellan, Spurling, Shouse) was once again exposed. Turnbow had an off day as well, and Cordero's velocity was noticeably down. There are not easy solutions to any of those problems, but it is what it is.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Carlos Villanueva? To me, there's absolutly no reason he was not in the game after Cordero in the 9th. Then again, Yost hasnt personally lost too many games lately so maybe he's just attempting to change that back to normal.

Poorly managed game if you ask me. But god bless that kid Hart. He's really having a good year, lets hope he continues to be hot.

And why don't they just take the persons who's bobble it is and not put them in the line up? I swear it's a curse.

Yes V was up a few times in the pen.

First off, I am not a Yost basher, but talk about a non-winning line up. I know its Sunday and the "by the book" says get your guys some rest, buuuuut, we just had a day off Thursday and the break is coming up.

I was at the game. Got there at 1145. The air temp was fine, but sitting in that bright high sun, it was a little warm. So, what up with the Blue Jerseys Yo? I know he is a Texan and 70 probably feels like winter to him, but come on. I think he baked Bill Hall cause Hall did not look sharp all day.

Hawing, it was nice to meet you. The S.O. must feel like a bouncer sometimes with random wierd internet guys just wandering up to you to say hi. I won't ruin your story, but both my Dad and I got the pink bat Halls. Little B loves it already.

Hard for me to complain about the days off. Jenkins doesn't hit lefties, Estrada was a normal C day off. Hardy is hurt. Fielder doesnt' get a break and hasn't been swinging the bat that great lately.

Also hard for me to complain about the bullpen other than not using CV which confused me. The real problem is we scored 3 runs in 11 IP off of one of the worst pitching staffs in baseball.

It happens everytime. Walks just kill you. You can't walk guys in key situations, and that is what the Brewer bullpen did today.

On a good note, myself and the fiancee both got retro Billy's with the pink bat and for an early birthday present she bought me a Hall jersey t-shirt.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Well that was an exciting/frustrating game today. Turnbow cost us the game today. A four pitch walk to the first batter and everyone knew it would be bad...and it was.

Also, I'm normally a big Yost fan but was puzzled by some of his non-moves today. Being at the game I thought maybe Jenkins and Villanueva weren't available when they weren't used. They were available of course and Ned was just being a bonehead. Jenkins should have been in for Mench against Soria, and Villanueva should have pitched instead of Capellan.

They may have lost and I may be sunburnt and pink bat-less, but it was great watching Yo dominate. I'll be sick if he goes back to AAA when Capuano comes back.

Ahhh, where to begin?

Steve267268, I swear, I was asking the Brewers to win it for you. For pitchleague too. (You've got another game in town, though, haven't you, pitch?)

I tied my season record by meeting four bf.net posters today. In addition to TheBwaz, I met wisconsinfan47, pitchleague and hammytime. I was happy to meet each of you and it's always good to be able to put more names to faces.

My game thoughts:

I'm really enjoying Gallardo - even though I feel like a gangsta every time I tell him something. "C'mon, strike him out, Yo" sounds an awful lot like urban dictionary talk. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I seem to have a reputation around here for being level-headed and perhaps more optimistic than the average bear. But I want Capellan gone. I don't much care where, as long as it's elsewhere and as long as it's soon.

Given my history of impatience with poor relief work, you'd think I'd have written off Turnbow some time ago. But I'm more just disappointed by his stint today. I'd like Ned to realize that when Derrick doesn't have it, he doesn't have it right out of the gate, and to shorten his leash accordingly.

Spurling, I could sometimes do without, but he didn't do as badly given what he was handed.

And I have nothing new to contribute on the topic of what could have been done with Villa.

Of course, the bats could have made a lot of this relief angst moot. That said, I definitely gave up a vocal cord for Corey in the 9th, and appreciate the bonus baseball he made possible.

I'm quite ready for a Sheets start Monday. Stay in the game a while, Ben.

Finally, on to my bobblehead story at which TheBwaz hinted:

We got our Bill Hall bobbles upon entry without incident. In the concession line upstairs, I was waiting behind a multi-generational family with a grandpa type who was muttering as follows:

Grandpa: Bobblehead? I don't need no (blanking) bobblehead. (sees me) You want a bobblehead?

hawing (knee jerk reaction, because we got two when we entered): No thanks, I'm good.

hawing (after rethinking): Unless you're giving it away.

Grandpa: Well, yeah. I'm not selling this. (hands bobblehead over)

So now I have a retro Bill Hall bobble with pink bat. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif And I owe some of this good fortune to pitchleague and hammytime, because if they hadn't stopped by when they did, I would have gotten food earlier and missed the opportunity.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

[ They were available of course and Ned was just being a bonehead. Jenkins should have been in for Mench against Soria ]

They would have brought the lefty they had warming up in to face Jenks.

Jenks vs LHP: .519 OPS

Mench vs RHP: .596 OPS

This would have been counterproductive, and would have burned a bench player to boot.

Quote:
They would have brought the lefty they had warming up in to face Jenks.

Since Soria had just entered the game wouldn't he have had to at least throw a pitch to Jenkins if he had batted for Mench?

Quote:
Since Soria had just entered the game wouldn't he have had to at least throw a pitch to Jenkins if he had batted for Mench?

Correct. I believe he would need to actually face one batter for a complete AB before they could take him out, but I may be wrong.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

OK I was at the game and I have three questions regarding Ryan Braun.

1: With a pop up just in front of the pitchers mound Braun flew in and grabbed the ball in front of Graffy. My seats are right there and I didn't hear him call. Who should be calling for that?

2: Again a pop up right in front of me where Miller and Braun dropped a pop up and no one yelled for the ball. Isn't that Braun's call to call the catcher off since that is easier?

3: When Bill Hall threw the ball to third not on target, Counsell was in perfect position to cut the errant throw off to get the runner going to second. Counsell looked frustrated when he saw where the throw ended up. With his back to the play at third isn't it the 3baseman's job to yell cut and Braun's non communication cause a third misplay.

It will be interesting seeing if there are any improvements in that area. Anyone know if there are definite responsibilities given in these instances?

Thanks

Archived