Brewer Fanatic

6/25/07 Astros (Jennings) @ Brewers (Sheets): 7:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
Quote:
I'd say that's true, regardless of how fresh the bullpen is.

That wasn't the case in the beginning of the year... with the Turnbow/Cordero domination in April. Unfortunately now... you're correct. I'll say it again, the only one I feel comfortable with is Villanueva. Even though Cordero has put together a few solid innings since his problems in Texas...he still doesn't look as solid as he was.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
Yost generally isn't one to use pitcher/batter splits to help make out his lineup
I have heard him on occassion say he had so and so in the lineup because he's hit him well over his career. But you're right it is not normal for him to do that. Those splits typically look good or bad because of one particular game... and really shouldn't have any indication of the upcoming game.

[ Ned sometimes uses a past pitcher/batter split to give Gross or Miller a start. Tom Kelly used to do it all the time. However, it is nearly always a small sample, so it's benefit is minimal. ]

Sometimes it's also based on the concept that some players hit certain TYPES of pitchers better... So while it may look like a small split vs. one particular pitcher, the sample size might grow unbeknownst to us against soft-tossers or guys with heat, regardless of throwing hand.

What Brewers players better at hitting soft-tossers? and likewise with hard-throwers? Bill always says JJ is a great fastball hitter, but that could be a slow fastball or a 97 mph fastball. Mench to me seems like he'd be a better soft-tosser hitter.

Mench is a good meatball hitter. He dont hit it unless the pitcher made a mistake. I am fairly confident that Mench doenst hit all that many good pitches (at least less then guys like Prince or Hart or any other above average player) Sometimes players can make a pitcher pay for making a bad pitch and some hitters can punish a pitcher on a good pitch. I dont think Mench is one of those hitters

Houston Milwaukee ------- --------- Pos Player HR RBI AVG. Pos Player HR RBI AVG. --- ------ -- --- ---- --- ------ -- --- ---- 3B Loretta, Mark 1 24 .332 RF Hart, Corey 10 30 .317 CF Pence, Hunter 8 35 .353 SS Hardy, JJ 17 49 .285 RF Berkman, Lance 10 44 .265 3B Braun, Ryan 5 18 .321 LF Lee, Carlos 12 59 .291 1B Fielder, Prince 26 61 .283 1B Lamb, Mike 6 20 .317 CF Hall, Bill 9 34 .268 2B Burke, Chris 1 7 .232 C Estrada, Johnny 6 25 .283 C Munson, Eric 1 3 .212 LF Jenkins, Geoff 12 35 .277 SS Bruntlett, Eric 0 0 .333 2B Counsell, Craig 1 14 .239 P Jennings, Jason (1-1, 3.63) P Sheets, Ben (8-3, 3.19) 

Wow, Prince and JJ have combined for 4 more homers (43-39)than the entire starting lineup for the Astros. Sheets weakness is giving up the longball, and there's only 2-3 guys to worry about in that whole lineup.

I have a bad feeling about Jennings tonight. Maybe it's because the Brewers didn't exactly punish Odalis Perez yesterday. Here's to hoping the Brewers go back to notching double digit hits and 5+ runs. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

One of my new favorite things to do before Brewers games is look up the game preview on baseball-reference with their new preview feature. Lots of cool stuff to look at: www.baseball-reference.co...6250.shtml

Edit: Ouch...looks like Benny hasn't had the greatest luck against Houston lately...his last 5 starts against the Astros:

Split Opp Dec IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA/Pit GmSc +------------+----+---+-----+---+---+---+---+---+--+-------+----+ Last 5 v.HOU 1-2 32 41 20 20 5 27 2 5.63 46 2007-04-20 HOU ND 7 7 2 2 2 4 0 106 57 2006-09-08 HOU ND 6.2 7 2 2 1 6 0 112 57 2006-08-17 HOU L 7 10 7 7 2 6 2 103 33 2006-05-02 HOU L 2.1 9 7 7 0 3 0 60 14 2005-08-20 HOU W 9 8 2 2 0 8 0 121 71 

Twitter

Those last two starts look very good. 7 innings pitched and just 2 ERs in each. Cant complain one bit if we get that line tonight.

The 2.1 IP is an anomoly because Sheeter was basically pitching hurt and went on the DL for an extended period after that game.

Just keep pitching like you have been Sheeter

I'd take Sheets' last two starts against HOU tonight, too...he's just had bad luck as far as run support and bullpen support go.

I'm digging the White Stripes intro music to Brewers Live tonight. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Twitter

Sometimes it's also based on the concept that some players hit certain TYPES of pitchers better...

I saw one study (in "The Book") search in vain for that kind of correlation. Doesn't mean it's not still true but I don't think it's easy to find if it is.

Archived