Brewer Fanatic

(chris webber retires), why do i feel old?

flosses like fossas
i'm 27 - not at all old. i just read that chris webber retired. this has me feeling...i hesitate to say old, but perhaps dated? maybe i'm just feeling my true age, rather than a few years younger. I grew up with the fab four, i've been a sports fan straight through, and i've seen lots of athletes in many sports come and go without reaction. as a person who "feels younger than they are", i'm wondering why this feels profound in some way? help me out here. if you have experienced a similar reaction to a seemingly trivial event on any level - god knows the retirement of an nba player i never really cared about is totally random and patently negligible - please share.

3 years older than you here, but I just felt that way when Brett retired. When he came to the Pack, I was 14. On the Chris Webber note, I agree with your feelings, but the one thing I learned from Chris Webber is....know how many timeouts you have at the end of the game. And, if you don't have any timeouts, you get a technical. The picture of him with the confused look on his face, ball in his hands, trapped in the corner, calling timeout is searing into my brain forever. And I go back and forth between wanting to laugh out loud and feel bad for him. He had a very good NBA career.

yeah -- I am getting to the age, where there are fewer and fewer players (only a handful...) playing that are older than me. Also there are guys like Ripken, Gwynn, Boggs, etc. that I clearly remember as young rookies, now in the HOF. -- Even worse, guys like Bob Boone and Buddy Bell were up and coming players when I was really young, now their kids are retired/washed up.

As Al would say:

OOF.

I remember the Fab Five of Michigan. Its too bad all of what they did was erased following the Wolverines scandal (a booster paid the Fab Five or something like that) and the NCAA erased everything they ever did. What is really weird looking back at the Fab Five was Jalen Rose, Juwan Howard and Webber were part of it. Now its like all of them are now out of the NBA, isn't Rose an analyst now? And isn't Howard just basically trying to hang on as long as he can?

Although Webber's stats indicate he could be a Hall of Famer, but I think the voters will be turned off by not only the erasing of his Michigan days, but also his turbulent NBA injury history. Plus, he never won a ring. He could become the Jim Rice of the Basketball Hall of Fame.

He could become the Jim Rice of the Basketball Hall of Fame.

That is probably the best comparison for Chris Webber. Was a good, solid player, but not really outstanding and wasn't a guy you would think of with the "greats". When you think of NBA hoops in the 90's, Webber's name doesn't quickly come to mind.

I'm 27 - not at all old. i just read that chris webber retired. this has me feeling...i hesitate to say old, but perhaps dated? maybe i'm just feeling my true age, rather than a few years younger. I grew up with the fab four, i've been a sports fan straight through, and i've seen lots of athletes in many sports come and go without reaction. as a person who "feels younger than they are", i'm wondering why this feels profound in some way?
Chris Webber was in the Beatles??

Couldn't resist!

Completely agree! It makes me feel old. My year book picture my sophmore year in h.s I am wearing a Chris Webber GState Warriors Jersey

The day when Ken Griffey JR retires will probably break me. I remember going crazy when I got his Upper Deck rookie card in 1989.

It is always hard to watch people you grew up admiring retire. I've been at that place in my life these past few years. It is kind of sobering, lol.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Archived