Brewer Fanatic

Movies that make you cry

jason21nl

I like to think of myself as a big tough guy when it comes to things, but there are a couple movies that when I watch them, I cry no matter what. I'm not talking about full out crying but brings tears to my eyes.

The Green Mile and Eight Below are two movies that get me every time. For whatever reason, I tear up when I see men cry, and when a couple of the dogs die and they rescue the others in Eight Below it chokes me up big time.

I'm watching Eight Below right now and it has got me a couple times. I'm a big wuss.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm no big tough guy...and accordingly, I tear up during certain movies. A few off the top of my head:

Field of Dreams (really, who can get through the father-and-son-having-a-catch scene dry-eyed?)

The end of Major League, when the Indians win the big game and fans go crazy in County Stadium.

(As an aside, the night the Brewers were eliminated from the 2007 pennant race, some network aired this movie. That's right, just kick me when I'm already down.)

It's not a movie as such, but when I watch the tape I made of the closing ceremony for County Stadium, I get out the Kleenex like other people do for a romantic tear-jerker.

Also, It's A Wonderful Life. Every time.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

"Tell me I'm a good man... tell me I've earned it"

That particular part in Saving Private Ryan - every time I watch it, I say, 'Not this time...', and every time I'm wrong. Oh, and yes, the power of that scene makes me nearly choke up in the very beginning, too.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The second-to-last scene in Forrest Gump (Forrest talking to "Jenny" at her grave) is by far the saddest scene I've ever seen. I've seen that movie a good 6-8 times and it's impossible to not tear up, especially when he starts talking about Little Forrest. Tom Hanks is the man.

Project X - when i was a kid i balled beyond comtrol when the chimp died

Big Fish - the end gets me misty eyed, my wife had to leave the room she was crying so hard, granted her grand dad had just died weeks before.

Whenever I am home and sick I pull out my tape of Forrest Gump. The graveside scene also reduces barrel chested Iowa farmboys to tears. The same goes for the end of Saving Private Ryan. There are a couple of scenes in the tv miniseries "Lonesome Dove" that also do a number on me. Deets takes a lance to the chest holding a child, and then appears as a ghost and leads Pea Eye back to the herd. My eyes are welling up as I think about it.

I listened to the last game ceremonies for County Stadium in the seat of a tractor as I was moving round bales. That was the first time that a radio broadcast put me into tears.

Movies that come to mind right away:

The Green Mile (as soon as Tom Hank shakes Michael Clark Duncan's hand at the end of the movie). gets me every time

Shawshank - the entire ending. every time

There are several others, but i cant think of them at this time...

Books:

Where the Red Fern Grows (everytime, although it's been years since I've read it)

Harry Potter 7 [ http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif ]

Rudy makes the sack on the game's final play and gets carried off the field. I go through the same process as TLB--"not this time". To no avail.

I'll add my name to the list for Forrest Gump's grave scene. The end of "Philadelphia" makes it tough to stop my bottom lip from quivering, too.

-Remember the Titans (yeah, I suck) during the funeral scene

-United 93 (not right away though...I first needed to get over the feeling of being punched in the face)

-Goodbye Lenin (early protest scene, as well as during moments of the incredible Yann Tiersen score)

-The Fox and the Hound (I was 6, and I haven't seen it since)

Movies that come to mind right away:

The Green Mile (as soon as Tom Cruise shakes Michael Clark Duncan's hand at the end of the movie

I know you meant Tom Hanks, but I can't stop laughing to myself thinking of that movie with Tom Cruise in that role in stead of Hanks...first of all, Michael Clarke Duncan would have seemed to be 14 feet tall standing next to itty bitty Cruise.

count me in on the "tears in his eyes" for absurd frequency during movies that you wouldn't think deserve crying ("Transformers"????? Why did I have teary eyes for that?!?!)

But my killer is Dead Poets Society at the end when the students are climbing on their desks. I just cannot make it without blubbering.

Now my wife is going to read this and give me crap (well, more crap than normal).

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Big Fish - the end gets me misty eyed, my wife had to leave the room she was crying so hard, granted her grand dad had just died weeks before.

Dang - now that's some inopportune timing.

Books:

Where the Red Fern Grows

Man, that's a good one - I agree here.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I tear up when the son gets shot in The Patriot. For some reason that sadness turns to rage though and I need to watch something with comedic value after the movie...
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Archived